After Latest Patch Units Will Not Load When Flying a Mission from Mission Editor

CommandT

Hi folks,

Not gonna lie, I'm raging and kind of upset. Spent countless hours perfecting a mission I built in the Mission Editor (see screenshot attached as a reference) but now after downloading the latest OB patch 2.9.2.49629, after loading the mission the majority of units just don't load/ spawn (they are not set to late activation or anything like that and worked perfectly prior to the latest patch)! They are all still there in the ME but just totally missing in the actual game after loading. This is the case for both some statics and for the majority of AI ground units which are totally missing... my firefight is now, well... not happening as I have no units spawning/ loading upon mission start... 

I tired re-saving the mission and just moving some of the units about a little bit... but nope, still no units spawning. How bizarre! Never had this issue. 

Any help appreciated!

DCS 2023-12-22 01-45-13.png

ok found the problem in my situation was  Mod/Aircrafts JAS39(user files) , yeah was weird because all ships including the one who made me alert, the supercarrier, were gone, i still think ED should always look into their scripts because JAS39 is a important module for making missions, i believe the community has done so much for this game for free and to keep it Alive the responsibility here is at least 50-50

Edited by guitargamery

16 minutes ago, guitargamery said:

the responsibility here is at least 50-50

so, you say that ED has 50% responsibility for the effects on a Mod that they have not developed, are not using on their development computers, are not part of the debugging processes, and bring zero revenue to their business? … really? 🤨

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

With your comment feels like you don't give any credit to the thousands of hours DCS modders put in so us can have a better experience, if you really read my comment , because i use my words carefully, i speak in major mods like JAS39  that many of us uses when creating missions for our flights or  squads, yes ED should  and  MUST be in sync with these main mods,  with a simple "true" or "false" in the scripts they can solve these giant bugs that make all the ships and feet in the simulator disappear, this weekend there will be hundreds of users on these forums without knowing what's up. ED should always do a quick test to see if everything is "rolling perfectly", lets be honest here.... ED dont need even the community to stumble upon their own code and i know they are working on it trying to rewrite from scratch much that already have been coded,  and im very grateful for their work, and  im much grateful for the work community modders have done in this SIM, is Brilliant to say the least. cheers man i have a plane to catch, i understand your point tho...

Edited by guitargamery
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, guitargamery said:

With your comment feels like you don't give any credit to the thousands of hours DCS modders put in so us can have a better experience, if you really read my comment , because i use my words carefully, i speak in major mods like JAS39  that many of us uses when creating missions for our flights or  squads, yes ED should  and  MUST be in sync with these main mods,  with a simple "true" or "false" in the scripts they can solve these giant bugs that make all the ships and feet in the simulator disappear, this weekend there will be hundreds of users on these forums without knowing what's up. ED should always do a quick test to see if everything is "rolling perfectly", lets be honest here.... ED dont need even the community to stumble upon their own code and i know they are working on it trying to rewrite from scratch much that already have been coded,  and im very grateful for their work, and  im much grateful for the work community modders have done in this SIM, is Brilliant to say the least. cheers man i have a plane to catch, i understand your point tho...

I'm totally with you on this. Since DCS is missing so many basic units, the game literally wouldn't be the same without some of the quality mods by the community. So it's not entirely true that ED don't benefit financially from "supporting" mods, they do. By attracting a wider audience and more gameplay. However I get that it's difficult to expect them to bug test every patch to see if any mods screw it up. However definitely in their interest to support the modding community, which they generally do and appreciate. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, guitargamery said:

i still think ED should always look into their scripts because JAS39 is a important module for making missions

ED devs do look into their scripts and they do all changes they deem necessary.

It's simple as this: when a mod maker starts making a mod, he creates something that fits a DCS build. When it works, the mod is released. Hurray. Then, whenever a new DCS build is released, the mod maker needs to check if his/her mod still works. If it doesn't, he/she changes it until it works again.

If you really think that ED should contact all mod makers in order to ensure they won't break any mod, when releasing a build, you should stop thinking that way, because that will never happen.

If you don't want to run into this kind of surprises, feel free to stick to the Stable/Release version.

• Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

13 hours ago, guitargamery said:

... with a simple "true" or "false" in the scripts they can solve these giant bugs that make all the ships and feet in the simulator disappear, ...

I 100% agree that modders bring a lot to DCS and I really appreciate the work they put into it and the fact that they share it for free.

However, I can't agree that ED has any responsibility to make sure they don't "break" mods.  There is no such thing as a "simple true/false" flag that could solve giant bugs.  It's just not that simple even on the 1st iteration of doing it.  The potential for it to break 5 other things is too high.  And what happens in the patch after that?  On the 2nd iteration that complexity goes up massively and since the mod maker doesn't know that there is a workaround in the code to keep their mod going they won't know it needs to be changed, so ED would have to keep internally "fixing" things to keep it going or you're right back to where we are today.  Which means that for all intents and purposes they would need to make the mod an actual part of DCS, which defeats the purpose since then it couldn't be improved and added to by the modder, not to mention the whole bunch of legalities of doing that.  And how do you decide which mods are worthy of being tested by ED and how do you decide this?  I honestly don't know if I've heard of the JAS39 mod before this patch, so while it's vital to you and likely lots of others, how do you quantify which ones are worthy?

And all of this is before you start think about the death by a thousand options that adding things like the flag you suggest (even if they are behind the scenes in code) cause a tiny but cumulative effect on overall performance (one you wouldn't notice, but one becomes two becomes 10 becomes 1000 and suddenly it impacts).

So many thanks to the modders and I feel your frustration from having to fix mods after patches, but no, it's not realistic to expect ED to not accidentally break them with a patch if you want DCS to get any fixes/new features/general improvements.