FCR - difficulty acquiring targets - elevation cue seems backwards? TRACK ATTACHED

[DE] T-Bone

Possible state bug when switching the radar ELEV between AUTO and MANUEL:

- In AUTO mode, targets are detected and displayed.
- After switching to MAN and changing the ELEV, FCR no longer finds any targets
- Reset to AUTO -> Ping again -> No results
- Change again to MANUEL -> ELEV remains the same as before -> Targets are recognized again.

fcr_manual_range.trk

Edited by [RENEGADES] T-Bone
  • Like 2

Specs: R7 3800X, 32Gb 3600Mhz, RTX 2070 S, M2 SSd 970 Pro

Equipment: microHELIS Bell 206 Pedale + Toe-Brakes, microHELIS OH-58D Collective, microHELIS OH-58D Cyclic, Realteus Forcefeel, TrackIR 5

• [DE] T-Bone changed the title to Possible bug when switching between MAN/AUTO in FCR

Having a lot of difficulty getting the FCR to acquire targets.  I finally put an invisible apache in my mission to test with, and i found that I am only able to detect targets when two conditions are both met:

1: the helicopter must be high enough to see the entire target and the ground around it.  even a slight obstruction of the target's wheels/tracks prevents detection

2: the radar elevation must be in manual mode with the angle set as far UP as the scale indicates.

even when those two conditions are both met, target detection is unreliable.  I have a track attached showing first a great deal of no targets found, then when i finally do detect one with the FCR, it is only one, even though there are dozens of vehicles around it and within the scan zone.

fcr-weird.trk

Edited by ShuRugal
  • Like 3

• ShuRugal changed the title to FCR - difficulty acquiring targets - elevation cue seems backwards? TRACK ATTACHED

I would like to contribute my findings as well. While I am as pilot in clear sight of the target, the FCR does not detect the target - the target gets detected by the FCR when the TADS has visual sight. In that case the whole Apache is now visible by the enemy and this should not be the work case scenario of the FCR it suppose.

Changing manual elevation modes does not help either.

Tested on Syria map.

FCR-Issue.trk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D // 64 GB RAM // RTX 4090 // Quest Pro // Quest 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I think I found one of the issues relating to this problem. I set up a test mission with stationary targets on a hill at different elevations. I start the test from a hover and scan the hill with the FCR in Auto ELEV. This results in a decent return. Obviously it cannot see all the targets as they range from 10 degrees below the nose to 10 degrees above the nose. I then set the ELEV to Man and move the range to 10 degrees nose up. Scan and find just the higher targets. I then set the ELEV back to Auto. This shows a change on the ELEV Scale, but in reality it does not move it back from the Man position. Scan and again it only finds the higher targets. I further test this by setting ELEV back to Man and going to extreme upper limit. Scan and find nothing as expected. Set the ELEV back to Auto and Scan. Again find nothing.

TLDR. Going to ELEV Man and move the range. Set ELEV back to Auto, and although the ELEV Scale moves back, it does not actually move back from the Man position.

Track File Attached.

FCR Auto Elev Not Working.trk

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I`ve noticed an FCR behavior that seems kinda weird. Helos that move towards you can only be picked at 4-1.5 km distance, moving away - 0-8km no problem. Target helo moving right to left - no problem. Target helo moving left to right - komplit stels, couldn`t be picked up at any distance.

ah-64_fcr.trk

• Like 1