Are there any historical missions/operations that we CAN recreate accurately with the current roster of maps, modules and assets?

Tree_Beard

As the years go by, I am finding myself less interested in creating "what-if" scenarios and more interested in trying to make a replica of a real mission that actually happened. Unfortunately there seems to always need to be a compromise somewhere.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a real historical mission that can be accurately or very near accurately recreated within the current DCS ecosystem. 

What is near accurately? If you're willing to fudge units a little, a lot might become possible. On the other hand, recreating historical missions can also depend on tactics and doctrine. With the AI at least, this is sometimes problematic.

Best bets off the top of my head would involve WWII Normandy, Operation Praying Mantis, and missions around Syria. I don't have a truly specific or through list though.

• Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

It's difficult.  As much as DCS likes to think of itself as a 'sandbox', unless you are willing to take very big liberties and substitute units then absolute accuracy to real world operations is not easy.  We have the wrong aircraft and the wrong maps.

I've built 'Operation Martyr Yalçın', and 'Operation Outside The Box' to a reasonable level with what is known publicly, but still with a lot of artistic licencing.  Often I start building them and then give up as the assets are just not available to make it realistic.

I sometimes feel that completely fictitious scenarios are a better way to go.

• Like 3

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

16 minutes ago, Exorcet said:

What is near accurately? If you're willing to fudge units a little, a lot might become possible. On the other hand, recreating historical missions can also depend on tactics and doctrine. With the AI at least, this is sometimes problematic.

Best bets off the top of my head would involve WWII Normandy, Operation Praying Mantis, and missions around Syria. I don't have a truly specific or through list though.

To clarify - I've already created many missions with fudging. What I'd like to try to do is make a mission where period accurate blue aircraft and ground assets are engaging period accurate red aircraft and ground assets in the correct location. Exact numbers involved and AI behavior are less of a concern for me. 

I thought none of the German plane variants in DCS actually fought in the Normandy Invasion in 1944, but maybe I'm wrong about that?

I hadn't heard about Praying Mantis, looks like an interesting scenario so thanks for the suggestion. Might look into that one a little more. 

WWII variants aren't quite right, no, but with the simpler AI modeling it matters a little less.

Iran is in a good place in DCS, they have most of their air units and a good number of ground units. Ships are unfortunately almost non existent, but substitutions can be made. With the announced Iraq map, situations involving Iran should be a lot more plausible to simulate in the future.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I’ve been messing around over Normandy in the Mossie, P47 and Spit, which roughly fit.

Reading a book about the Pathfinders gave me some ideas.  For example, they were used in strikes  against railways, Atlantic gun emplacements and similar in early 44’.

Whilst we don’t have period 109s, being fair, apparently most had been pulled back to defend German airspace so the reality was that there was not going to be a huge level of CAP

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Normandy - the Spitfire, P-47D-30 (early), Mossie, Fw 190A-8 and P-51D are all prototypical but the USAAF birds don’t really represent the most common variants, with the P-51D-25 having capabilities and equipment features beyond those that the D-5 variants that were entering service at the time of invasion should not really have (HVAR capability, tail warning radar, K-14 gunsight) though performance wise they’d be appropriate.

Ideally we’d have P-51B and razorback P-47Ds.

A Bf 109G-6/14 would help, along with a Typhoon, Mitchell III, a P-38J and B-26D.

Ground units wise, the basics are mostly covered (except for shipping) but in reality there were hundreds of models and sub-models of trucks, tanks and artillery that could feature.

4 hours ago, Tree_Beard said:

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a real historical mission that can be accurately or very near accurately recreated within the current DCS ecosystem. 

I have never seen any mission that gets near what you want ..,. the closest are probably some WW2 Campaigns edited by Bunyap and Reflected, but as DCS is a Flight Combat Simulator rather than a Historic Recreator, it seems to me that it is impossible to achieve an accurate historic re-creation of a mission, maybe on a few more years, when the DCS assets available grow beyond the current "156 free and fully operational weapons systems, 105 ground vehicles, 19 ships and 84 AI-controlled aircraft".

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I'm building a Yom Kippur campaign for the A-4. Golan front, so Syria map. Planning to do the Sinai front down the line.

Yes, we don't have the exact planes and units, but I think a reasonable compromise can be achieved.

For Israel we have the Phantom and the Skyhawk. No Mirage III, but F1 is a reasonable substitute. Main ground units, no Centurion but a Patton (not the exact version tho). Merkava is too new for that war.

On the Arab forces, MiG-21 and MiG-19. Most 21s used were other variants, but acceptable. No Su-7 but you can still use the Su-17 we have and limit them to older weapons. No MiG-17, replace it with the MiG-15 and the UFO flight model it currently has.

Syrians had some Tu-16 Badgers with cruise missiles. That is something I could not replace. I used Tu-95s but their weapons are too modern for this conflict.

For red ground units we have almost the whole set, we're just missing T-62s some elite syrian units had.

SAMs, Hawk for Israel, SA-2 and SA-3 for the Arabs.

Most units are present or reasonable replacements can be used.

For weapons is the same. Just use some regular bombs and rockets and limit the air to air missiles. No AIM-9L, no Magic 2 or 530F for the Mirage, only R-3S for the Fishbed.

If you're not a purist who needs to have everything right to the last letter of the designation, you can make it work.

Edited by diego999
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, diego999 said:

I'm building a Yom Kippur campaign for the A-4. Golan front, so Syria map.

I hope you will share it when ready, as I'd love to fly the A-4E on that map 👍

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB