ARP Pack - Airfield Signs Mod [v2.1]

Go to solution Solved by Rudel_chw,

Would you use this mod?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use this mod?

2. 2. Have you noticed any issues with AI?

• No
    • Yes - write about it

ARP Pack - Airfield Signs Mod - official thread

Current version: v2.1

✔️About mod:

It contains standing signs and horizontal patterns. The latest works included also additional illumination for standing signs, PAPI and arresting system. It was changed many times and tested, not to be seen as obstacle for AI. There's also template for a few Caucasus Airports which can be loaded in Mission Editor. Notice that I was made for Caucasus (it's mostly flat map). It can partially work on other maps.

In the 'readme' file there're list of mods I use so you can just load template and have our work or load template and download other mods (not mine) which I use - that looks better.

✔️Developers:

Valium1994 (main author, models, textures)

Dare (models)

Currenthill (models)

✔️Credits:

Thank you for other people like western_JPN, crazyeddie from ED Forum and also my friends who work in Ryanair, Enter air, Wizz air, Polish Air Force (31st Tactical Air Base), Air4 in Gliwice, Aeroklub Śląski in Katowice.

✔️Editing and redistribution:

At the beginning, this mod was planned as a private mod. After some time, we decided to share with it, so it’s public. Anyway, we spent many hours for creating, editing, improving all models and textures. Please, appreciate it. Many information were taken from the book which I use to learn for ATPL exams and from conversations with my friends who are real civil and military pilots. Redistribution and/or edition is prohibited.

✔️Donation:

The mod was planned to be private but we decided to make it bigger, spending many hours, nights and share with you for free. It improves whole community. If you like our mod and/or you would like us to improve it, you can make a donation.

https://buycoffee.to/valium1994

Thanks!

✔️Known problems/bugs:

1. Grass should be turned off because it rises through textures; this problem exists in many other mods and probably will be solved in future

2. Arresting system is just a static object (it doesn’t work – it was intentional).

3. PAPI shows 2 white and 2 red lights regardless of glideslope (perhaps it’ll be solved in future but at this moment most airports in DCS are using PAPI which also shows incorrect data).

4. All templates were tested with C-130. In case of bigger planes, there’s possibility that they’ll stop because of obstacle.

5. There’s probability that in some other cases, AI movement will be disturbed although there weren’t such problems during testing.

6. Ramps were created as patterns. There’s no additional parking sites but you can use it as ‘hot start’.

7. Illumination of standing lights is separated and it’s added to template. You can remove it one by one in case of computer with lower specification (if you notice that you have fps problem). What's more, depending to shaders, there may be some problems. If you notice any problems - let us know about it here.

DOWNLOAD v2.1:

Pack is locked with password. Read 'readme' because there're some information which will probably answer also for many questions and password of course.

Log:
✔️ 03/02/2024 - v1

Screen_240130_011302.jpg

Screen_240130_011314.jpg

Screen_240131_005648.jpg

Screen_240131_215312.jpg

Screen_240202_014433.jpg

Screen_240202_020202.jpg

Screen_240202_020311.jpg

Screen_240202_020337.jpg

Screen_240202_203040.jpg

Screen_240202_203052.jpg

✔️ 12/02/2024 - v2

⦁    changed standing signs illumination (2x stronger than before)
⦁    changed PAPI illumination (a little bit)
⦁    completly new ramps and rwy patterns with 3 background (old, concrete, concrete cube)
⦁    completly new models for pattern A, B, RWY intersection numbers
⦁    completly new TDZ models
⦁    added different lamps, they work at night
⦁    a few minor bugs solved, some objects replaced/removed to work properly with AI
⦁    KAFA pattern changed

⦁    new template to load

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

✔️ 12/02/2024 - v2.1

⦁    2 types of template to load - one doesn't need any mod (thanks to Rudel_chw2), the second one gives the same look as mine (photos) and requires some mods (see readme, there's a list).

Edited by Valium
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Valium changed the title to ARP Pack - Airfield Signs Mod [v1]

I don't think it's something you can fix, but it is why I won't be using the mod... It's a rob Peter to pay Paul problem/resolution... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

I don't think it's something you can fix, but it is why I won't be using the mod... It's a rob Peter to pay Paul problem/resolution... 

It depends on what you want.
At the beginning I wanted to cut all works on it because of grass. Then, I noticed that even with 1500, there's a small distance with grass and you can see from cockpit there's no grass about 30 m further.

The terrain looks different for sure with no grass but personally  I'm choosing a little better airports. For terrain I have Caucasus Redone.

The main problem is the grass is visible through textures when it should not (on ground). 😞

@speed-of-heat - there's the only one way to use it and have grass. Remove horizontal patterns which are not located on runways and taxiways, i.e. ramps, threshold, stopway. The rest should work fine. Ramps can be added on actual dcs ramps and also there shouldn't be any problems with AI. Everything is in mission editor so feel free to make changes. I hope some people even will suggest something which will be changed in future templates.

From the other side, I wonder if it's possible to make a mod which can disable grass in some places.

Anyway, I'll try to make another template with relocated models to use it with grass.

Edited by Valium
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Valium said:

It depends on what you want.
At the beginning I wanted to cut all works on it because of grass. Then, I noticed that even with 1500, there's a small distance with grass and you can see from cockpit there's no grass about 30 m further.

The terrain looks different for sure with no grass but personally  I'm choosing a little better airports. For terrain I have Caucasus Redone.

The main problem is the grass is visible through textures when it should not (on ground). 😞

@speed-of-heat - there's the only one way to use it and have grass. Remove horizontal patterns which are not located on runways and taxiways, i.e. ramps, threshold, stopway. The rest should work fine. Ramps can be added on actual dcs ramps and also there shouldn't be any problems with AI. Everything is in mission editor so feel free to make changes. I hope some people even will suggest something which will be changed in future templates.

From the other side, I wonder if it's possible to make a mod which can disable grass in some places.

Anyway, I'll try to make another template with relocated models to use it with grass.

that would be appreciated... I think i would be more exercised if the ATC took more notice of my behaviour on the ground and i actually had to read the signs 🙂

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Hello,

Perhaps you should add some pictures of the Mod's additions to DCS, so the potential users can see what it is about before trying it out.

I went to try it anyway, but then the file hosting wanted me to create an account before even thinking of downloading it ... that for sure took out all my interest on trying your Mod.

Why didn't you place it on ED's own User Files server (it is not a big file) ?

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

34 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

Hello,

Perhaps you should add some pictures of the Mod's additions to DCS, so the potential users can see what it is about before trying it out.

I went to try it anyway, but then the file hosting wanted me to create an account before even thinking of downloading it ... that for sure took out all my interest on trying your Mod.

Why didn't you place it on ED's own User Files server (it is not a big file) ?

Hi. 

I would like to add photos but max total size is 10.44kB... And it's less and less, don't know why. 

I added to user files but it's not activated, still waiting... 

I will check your issue although nobody has report that so far. 

Edited by Valium
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Valium said:

Hi. 

I would like to add photos but max total size is 10.44kB... And it's less and less, don't know why. 

Hi,

You are probably just "attaching" photos on the Forum, where the storage allowance you have is just 200 MB, like this:

M0UwduJ.jpg

I use this Forum space only for attaching Missions or text files ... for pictures I upload them to https://imgur.com/ and then paste a link here, like I did with the above image.

I added to user files but it's not activated, still waiting... 

Great, I will check it out tomorrow 👍

I will check your issue although nobody has report that so far. 

I re-checked and you are right, seems I was clicking on a "download" button embedded on an advertisement ☺️

I've just downloaded it, will try your Mod tonight, thanks 👍

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

22 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

Hi,

You are probably just "attaching" photos on the Forum, where the storage allowance you have is just 200 MB, like this:

M0UwduJ.jpg

I use this Forum space only for attaching Missions or text files ... for pictures I upload them to https://imgur.com/ and then paste a link here, like I did with the above image.

Great, I will check it out tomorrow 👍

I re-checked and you are right, seems I was clicking on a "download" button embedded on an advertisement ☺️

I've just downloaded it, will try your Mod tonight, thanks 👍

Thanks, photos added! 😉

I found a solution and I'm able to remove trees in some area but unfortunately it doesn't work with grass.

New link from User Files should be soon... but waiting for accept by moderator for almost 2 days...

image.png

Edited by Valium
  • Like 1

Just wanted to jump in and thank you for your work. This is brilliant! Really brings some more life to the apocalyptic landscape that is DCS airfields. Nothing is worse than hitting and ILS approach or be a controller issuing taxi instructions with no lights or signage. I look forward to some future templates!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NomadActual said:

Just wanted to jump in and thank you for your work. This is brilliant! Really brings some more life to the apocalyptic landscape that is DCS airfields. Nothing is worse than hitting and ILS approach or be a controller issuing taxi instructions with no lights or signage. I look forward to some future templates!

Thanks for good word.
I want you to test it guys and mark the further way of this mod. We can make more but it's a lot.

At this moment I can't cope with grass. Looking at a few solutions but most of them just doesn't work because it was writen a few years ago. The rest works but it can remove trees and other objects in a marked area but not grass. I see this problem is the main problem of many mods.

I also tried to make another template where horizontal patterns wouldn't be beside runway/taxiways/ramps but it looks worse in my opinion. It may also be in conflict with AI.

Another problem - it's just a pattern, made for good look. When you at stopway or additional ramp, you're still on grass.
We'll try to cope with that but again, there're a few mods in work with this problem and usually it makes that aircraft explodes or fall below terrain ... and fall or explode.

Working at this moment:

- better illumination for standing signs (brighter and stronger)    done

- better illumination for PAPI we have problem here but perhaps we will cope with that

That's night mission. As you can see, PAPI is not that bright as the rest. Click at photo.Screen_240205_003246.jpg

Edited by Valium

hey great mod i love it. i just have this question on how to load the template i have the mod installed properly i can place all your assets but when loading the template it doesnt put your stuff only default am i doing something wrong? Also am i able to taxi on the parking space if its placed on grass?

Edited by VPS_Choki

Well, you can create new mission or just load yours, on upper menu (in ME) there's EDIT > LOAD STATIC TEMPLATE and choose 'template advanced' there and load it.

The pattern is just texture which means you're still physically on grass. Unfortunately, making a real pattern is really hard, I've read a lot of threads about it. Usually it didn't work or plane exploded / fell below map. In case of Caucasus, the map is flat usually, so if you'll go slowly, everything should be fine. You can also make yourself in ME as taxing from specific place.

Notice that photos above are from latest version which is in progress already. 
Template will be edited too because I've found a few issues on Kobuleti and Kutaisi.

Edited by Valium

• Valium changed the title to ARP Pack - Airfield Signs Mod [v2]

12/02/2024 - v2

⦁    changed standing signs illumination (2x stronger than before)
⦁    changed PAPI illumination (a little bit)
⦁    completly new ramps and rwy patterns with 3 background (old, concrete, concrete cube)
⦁    completly new models for pattern A, B, RWY intersection numbers
⦁    completly new TDZ models
⦁    added different lamps, they work at night
⦁    a few minor bugs solved, some objects replaced/removed to work properly with AI
⦁    KAFA pattern changed

⦁    new template to load

DOWNLOAD:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Valium
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Valium said:

12/02/2024 - v2

Thanks a lot for all the improvements, I will try them to see if they work at Nevada (my current map)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

Thanks a lot for all the improvements, I will try them to see if they work at Nevada (my current map)

Give some time, link on user files should be updated soon.
Anyway, the pack is 5x bigger now so download link is different.

There were a few major updates.
If you use template, you have to load the new one because some objects were removed, some were added, some have changed textures or a few textures and changed name.
There's also new template file.

Suggestion 1:

If you use template and you add something, the best way is to remove my objects and save only yours as your template. On new mission you can load both because they should work together.

Suggestion 2:

New models = new names

Changed models = usually changed names

That makes, your current template may have some problems because there were some models which don't exist now (because they were removed/changed/have new name). 

Suggestion 3:

Pay attention on choosing proper livery.

Edited by Valium
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 9:32 PM, Valium said:

Well, you can create new mission or just load yours, on upper menu (in ME) there's EDIT > LOAD STATIC TEMPLATE and choose 'template advanced' there and load it.

The pattern is just texture which means you're still physically on grass. Unfortunately, making a real pattern is really hard, I've read a lot of threads about it. Usually it didn't work or plane exploded / fell below map. In case of Caucasus, the map is flat usually, so if you'll go slowly, everything should be fine. You can also make yourself in ME as taxing from specific place.

Notice that photos above are from latest version which is in progress already. 
Template will be edited too because I've found a few issues on Kobuleti and Kutaisi.

i tried that and it loads all assets except yours 😕 couldnt u do a mission and upload it?

Sure. Just paste it.

Here you have my mission. I just removed my plane, anyway, there's my template + a few mods I use.
Pay attention if you have all mods installed.

Btw. are you sure that template is in StaticTemplate folder?

1. Check if template like this exists - if no, probably not that folder

2. Check if all models in ME called [ARP]... exist and work

test.miz

Edited by Valium

1 hour ago, Valium said:

@Rudel_chw, can you check if you have problem like that one? And, could you check if my template works on caucasus?

Hi, will check it tonight … Static Templates only work correctly if you have enabled the same user Mods that the Template author used, any missing Mod causes the "unable to save" issue.

• Solution
3 hours ago, Valium said:

@Rudel_chw, can you check if you have problem like that one?

Hi,

Just checked and the problem is that your Mission (which I assume is made from the Static Template that you provide along with the assets pack), employs a lot of additional User Mods, like:

Airport Pack

Barbwire Fence by VPS_Tango

bushehr

CivilAircraftMod

CLP_E7A_MOD

CLP_M28_MOD

CPP_Big

Hangar 3 VPS_Tango & VPS_Spit

Massun92-Assetpack

NPP_Old

Radar Dome by BB

Runway Distance Markers by Temper & Bingo

SAM Sites Asset Pack

Static Buildings

static vehicles

TPP_Rus

U-80 Hangar by VPS_Tango & VPS_Spit

VPC Objects by voc & virpil.com

windmill

Your test mission can only be opened correctly by a DCS users that has active all of these Mods, any missing Mod will result on a partial load. And on the case of the StaticTemplate, it can be loaded but the resulting mission can't be saved. My advice would be to create simpler templates, that only employed your Mod's objects.

Here I modified your Template, to only employ your assets, looks like this:

d2PfNNj.jpg

The Template works perfectly and only needs your User Mod.  🙂

ARP Signs Pack - Caucasus Template.stm

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Thanks 1