Feedback for Pimax (for DCS or in general)?

jaapgrolleman

Hey DCS forum,

At Pimax we're always looking for ways to improve our headsets and service.

We'll soon release our fast pass-through feature for the Pimax Crystal which is useful if you quickly want to grab something while not taking off the headset. Don't expect the same level of pass-through as on the Apple Vision Pro, it'll be black & white, but very useful nonetheless.

The same with the upcoming big FOV lenses, these are developed after user feedback.

Earlier, we already implemented the 72 Hz feature alongside 90 and 120 Hz in Pimax Play. This was specifically a request from flight simmers and we may add 60 Hz in the future as well. 

Another thing we developed after user feedback is the Comfort Topstrap

We're happy to hear other suggestions of features or things for the Pimax Crystal or future headsets that we need to think about. 

• Like 1

Honestly, the best thing you could do at this point for flight simming (since you posted in a flightsim forum) would be to get motion smoothing improved.  Currently, it doesn't work very well in 72hz, and could benefit from some improvements in smoothness and clarity (less artifacting) in the other modes.  Other than that, if any improvements are possible in local dimming for night flying that would also be beneficial!

Great headset though, overall I love the clarity.

How about a less expensive, battery-less PCVR only version, that would make a great potential upgrade/replacement path for Reverb G2 owners?

For me, with a battery headset, it's not about how long the battery charge lasts or whether you can keep it charged with a cable whilst you use it, but the hassle/inconvenience of keeping it charged and making sure you have enough charge before each use. I like to be able to just switch on my headset with my PC and not have to worry about that. As a G2 user, the only upgrade paths at the moment, that are most appealing, are either the Quest 3 or Crystal, both of which use batteries and since the Quest 3 is significantly less expensive, that, to me, seems the more obvious choice. However, a battery-less Crystal (perhaps an even simpler, less expensive version without DFR, with pancake lenses and 60Hz/72Hz modes) could sway that...

That's just my personal view and suggestion.

• Like 4

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

Hello,

This new pass-through feature is something I'm really looking forward to. Ever since it was announced already at the Pimax Play version 1.17 release I was hoping that it would be added.

My biggest wishfor is maybe solved by it: the ability to see the Pimax Play screens while keeping the headset on.
To me it is very annoying that I cannot control the various settings without taking off the headset. After all, the headset is meant to put you in a virtual world but in that world you loose the control over the environment.

The next question is maybe one for a 'flightsim and seated only' user and also one that never uses the controllers. In fact, mine are still in the box where they came in.
Please add the mouse as a controller. For example, to do the eye-calibration you either use a controller or the keyboard. But, with the headset on it is always a blind fumble to find the Enter key on the keyboard. Adding the mouse to click on the screen would make it so much easier.

Another question is based on the OpenXR implementation.
At the moment Pimax Play is very much based on SteamVR. The per-game settings work only for games started in SteamVR.
That means that for OpenXR only the common settings work.
On my system (i9-12900K & RTX3090), the Crystal works best on the 120 Hz setting in DCS. Eliminates almost all stutters.
But for IL-2 I have to put it on 72 Hz.

If the OpenXR Toolkit, PimaxXR Control Center (and QuadViews Companion?) could be integrated into Pimax Play that would put all these settings into one application. After all, Pimax self recommends these applications for the best Pimax Crystal experience.
That would also give per-game settings that for me would be much more logical.  Why an overall setting for the pixels as it does make more sense depending on the game you start?

Pimax has started with Pimax Play fairly recently. In my opinion now is also the opportunity to rebuild the software into modules for applications based on for example Steam and OpenXR and be ready for future developments.

I'll keep my hopes on Pimax Play version 1.18... 🙂

3 minutes ago, MiGCap1 said:

Am I right that the Pimax has no mike bulit in? That one have to use an extra headset to wear OVER the Pimax?

There are three microphones in the Crystal, one is for noise canceling. Users feedback on the microphone has been very positive overall!

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Thank you for this great headset and for being receptive to customer feedback!

id love to see some improvements on the software side:

1) not having to recalibrate the eye tracking at every start up would be a big quality of life improvement

2) as previously mentioned, being able to manipulate the desktop while having the headset on would be a much appreciated feature

thanks!

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

Wow, a 60 Hz mode would definitely make me think of considering the Crystal. The resolution is insane, a low fps mode is a must for me.

I now actually use Reverb G2 in 60 Hz mode (one of the few headsets (or the only one?) that supports it) because I prefer maximum detail and fluidity (no reprojection) over framerate.

I don't know how much time I will be able to use it (you hear me Microsoft!?), and there is not much to choose from (I'm thinking BSB and Pimax, because I prefer direct connection to GPU)

On 2/9/2024 at 8:48 PM, Dentedend10 said:

1) not having to recalibrate the eye tracking at every start up would be a big quality of life improvement

That's a big one for me too... please Pimax.

Pentium II 233Mhz | 16MB RAM | 14.4kb Modem | 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive | Windows 3.1 with TM Warthog & TrackIR 5

My show-stopper is Field of View. The reason I went for an Index instead of a G2 was the field of view. After a couple of years, I don't regret the decision.

The high resolution of the Crystal looks phenomenal, but I'm not willing to shell out that amount of cash if my field of view is reduced.

I cannot seem to find any information on whether production-ready wide FoV lenses are yet available. Also, FoV comparisons between the Crystal and the Index seem suspiciously lacking out there in influencer-land.

Also, since it has been mentioned above, the Index allows you to view and manipulate the Windows desktop inside the goggles. If this is something the Crystal cannot do, that would be another significant downgrade for my user experience.

Can you clarify these points?

I love my Crystal Sim.  I've had it for a week.  It is almost perfect for me.  i notice the image of the cockpit moves ever so slightly now and then when I stop moving for a short while.  I believe the inside out tracking is just resort itself when this happens.  Otherwise, it's perfect.  I love how the head-strap grips the top of your head and does not squeeze your face.  I love how I can use my peripheral vision with the headset.  I love how I can keep my head forward, but just glance down at a switch.  Mine came with the basic earphones, but that's okay because i use in-ear wired buds that sound great.  Overall, my DCS experience has been transformed.  Well done.

Edited by Glide

i'd be really interested to hear anyone running the Crystal on a 3090 (non TI) and what their performance is like with Quad views and DFR, running the "sweet spot" at native resolution, say with the main settings on cockpit high, terrain high, terrain distance high, clouds high, shadows low, tree's 100%.

Have just pulled the trigger on the Crystal (wish i had known about the $100 deal however!) but after looking at all content creators they are running 4090's, now slightly concerned it could be like trying to run a G2 (what im upgrading from) on a 2080 when coming from a Rift.  Currently running EVGA 3090 FTW ultra, 13th gen i7k, 64GB ram.

Can i expect a big drop in frames from the G2 (as in do i need to upgrade to the 4090) such as the jump from a Rift S to G2?

Would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on this/advice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

8 hours ago, Hawkeye_UK said:

i'd be really interested to hear anyone running the Crystal on a 3090 (non TI) and what their performance is like with Quad views and DFR, running the "sweet spot" at native resolution, say with the main settings on cockpit high, terrain high, terrain distance high, clouds high, shadows low, tree's 100%.

Have just pulled the trigger on the Crystal (wish i had known about the $100 deal however!) but after looking at all content creators they are running 4090's, now slightly concerned it could be like trying to run a G2 (what im upgrading from) on a 2080 when coming from a Rift.  Currently running EVGA 3090 FTW ultra, 13th gen i7k, 64GB ram.

Can i expect a big drop in frames from the G2 (as in do i need to upgrade to the 4090) such as the jump from a Rift S to G2?

Would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on this/advice.

I think thanks to quadviews you'll be fine, we could run it even on a 2060 (but you'll need a good CPU...). Obviously on a 2060 the graphics won't be great but a 3090 will be nice. See video here: 

You asked, here's my mini review of the Pimax Crystal.

It's currently 1799 on Amazon UK but for some reason about 3 weeks ago it dropped to 1345 and I nabbed it. 

I'd just upgraded my PC from a 1080ti to a 4070 ti and my headset is a G2.

Before I used it I went through the painful 3rd party (talleymouse) setup of DFR and then tried to put it on, here's where I have some major complaints.

1. There were sharp, and I mean razor sharp and also very rough parts on all the plastic, especially on the strap parts. So much so that every time I put it on/took it off it ripped my hair out (I have long hair and I don't think women were ever really used to test your implementation) or cut my fingers.

2. There were SO many light leaks, on both sides, around the hinges. 

3. Yes the visual quality and the more rounded rectangle FOV was exceptional, except the bottom 1/3 of the display that was constantly blurry no matter how I tilted or tried to adjust the headset.

4. Eye tracking was sporadic at best and would judder around despite my eyes being stationary.

5. It was never possible to get it comfortable and it is utterly horrible to adjust

6. That for the price you charge, you then 'nickel and dime' the top strap and the DMAS headphones I feel is unethical and disgusting.

7. It's nowhere near worth the price I paid, even the discounted price, let alone full retail price, so I returned it.

Instead I tried  -  against my ethical and moral objections  -  the Q3. The quality is almost identical in visuals, smaller more scuba diver FOV but nothing to complain about. The fit is quite comfortable although not as comfortable as with a 3rd party headstrap / clamp.

The colour passthrough is a game changer for kneeboard / texting and even using the WinWing MIPS in anger. The built in speakers are as good as yours but the fit, finish is much more like Apple rather than some cheap, crappy 'Droid phone - which the Crystal I got, I feel was an apt comparison.

Yes, the DFR game me higher frame rates than I can get in the Q3, but I'm still getting >70 at altitude and a rock solid 36 down in the weeds with all the gfx settings on max, so on a 4070ti I can't complain. I'm now purely CPU bound on my 5GZ o/c 8700k and I expected that.

TD;LR

There is no way, no reason or legitimate benefit that means I could ever recommend the Crystal over any other headset on the market. The downsides are too many to compare to the G2 and the Q3 beats you on everything except a few pixels and a few degrees of FOV, and let's not forget it's a 1/3 of your price before you gouge on the add-ons. 

Oh, and on the subject of PIMAX in general... on two different discord groups run by Pimax I asked questions and never had a response. Despite being approached in the first instance, by members of your staff asking if they could do anything to help. Since I never approached or asked any questions to begin with, I falsely assumed that having then been approached it would seem you really cared about customer feedback and interaction. The two ignored messages and then the very curt and unhelpful ones I received from a senior team member left a very bad feeling in my mouth; another reason I could never recommend you.

Hope that helps. 

Edited by Elphaba

@jaapgrolleman  My only gripe with the Cystal thus far is the very mixed messages with the instructions - manual's, leaflets shipped with product received yesterday (UK) and videos from Pimax all state connecting both USB's to the Hub.  

I have had a battery go in less than 3 hours?!

Then we have this that say's don't connect the Black USB - seriously?

So what gives? Which is the correct method and why the mixed messages to the consumer?  I also note the message about the USB C direct into the headset, however note this will not work if any of the USB's are connected to the PC via the hub, thus making it unusable when playing DCS ( i noted no wattage being supplied when a reader was installed to measure the pull of current).

Please can you confirm;

A) What is the correct method and why the mixed messages (also there are alot of people asking the same question on the youtube video for the last 3 months but no one has replied - not good)!

B) The best way to get the longest game session and how long this will last for (some MP games will go on for along time, i have known 10 hour sessions in a G2 and this is not possible at present)

I dont understand what the thought process was to use batteries in the first place to be honest.  As for the headset itself, poor ergonimics for sure and the most uncomfortable of any headset in terms of the face fitting (ilve used DK1, Rift, Rift S, HTC Vive, Quest 2, Reverb G2, Varjo).  To note staight away ive had to pack the maxilla bone area at the bottom mask by 10mm of door/window draft foam to take some pressure of the frontal bone, without this you need to clamp the rear so hard to stop side to side movement and the pressure on the Occipatal region is really not pleasant or fit for purpose.  It's a pity design wasn't put in to alleviate some of the presure onto the parietal bone accross - im just not sure how the headset passed the R&D in this context re skull shape (im pretty standard and never had issue with helmets etc).  Is there any plans to bring out a much improved facial foam fitting, as i believe this is an issue that most people are going to complain or be unhappy about (and let's face it its a velco attachment so its not a huge developmental issue if pimax want to expand further into the sim market).  I believe what you do with this could be quite important to establish your customer base as you have a unique opportunity with G2's about to be redundant and Varjo pulling out of the consumer market.

Visuals stunning - next level for sure.

Greatly appreciated if you could clarify a few points.

Edited by Hawkeye_UK
  • Like 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

On 2/19/2024 at 8:29 AM, Hawkeye_UK said:

Hi Hawkeye,

Totally understand it's confusing. To use the black USB cable on the USB hub or not is up to the user, we've seen that in some cases it works well, in some cases it introduces battery drain. This could also be because of the different PC configurations. 

There are several things you could try:

• Run the Crystal without any HUB, both cables into the PC
  • Use the USB hub, only blue cable in
  • Use the USB hub, both cables in

There's also a mod that allows the Crystal to sort of have infinite battery life: 

https://pimax.com/best-pimax-crystal-mods/

The Crystal has a battery because it's a requirement for the XR2 chip, this also has a lot of benefits for normal PCVR usages:

https://pimax.com/crystal-xr2/

Since you asked... get together your business operation. My lawyer is still dealing with the mess your support has left behind.

If one googles around.. the forums are full of similar bad experiences.

It's a pity, because I think Pimax is actually making nice products, but sadly I can only warn anyone to buy into this horror-show.

Edited by Dr4gis

I went from G2 to the Crystal. The clarity is amazing, it was a game changer for me. I run at 72 Hz using Thud's settings with a 3090. No lag, no stutters, just excellent clarity all while maintaining 72 fps.  

Battery charging? I am plugged into the hub and have never charged the battery. I have used the headset for over 6 hours at a time with no issues.

I am blessed to be able to afford to support my junkie PC flying habit (even though I have my own airplane and 11,000 hours of flight time). I have tried almost all of the available VR options out there and the Crystal in my opinion is the best headset available for the current price point.