Freeware module(s) switched to payware?

Willie Nelson
Go to solution Solved by Silver_Dragon,

Just wondering if any of the fantastic freeware modules might have transitioned at some point to payware moduels. I think some of the freeware modules either upcoming or already in theatre are pretty good and I know that the benchmarks for ED to approve a DLC are pretty high for good reason, surely there has been one or two of these at some point....?

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

Only one I know of would be the MB-339 that was a mod at some point and can now be purchased as an official module.

But at the end it's up to the creators if they want to apply for 3rd party devs with their mod.

• Like 1

• Solution
2 hours ago, Willie Nelson said:

Just wondering if any of the fantastic freeware modules might have transitioned at some point to payware moduels. I think some of the freeware modules either upcoming or already in theatre are pretty good and I know that the benchmarks for ED to approve a DLC are pretty high for good reason, surely there has been one or two of these at some point....?

To convert a freeware module on a payware module, the creators need form a team with propper personal and create a legal company, contact with ED to sign a contract to convert on 3rd Party, to get access to the develop tools (SDK / TDK, etc), need confirm a module to DCS (ED need confirm them), show the necesary "open access" data (no secret or restricted) to simulate a propper module, learn how working the SDK (to build WW2 / Modern modules) and / or the TDK (to build maps), start to build a module under contact with ED, when has near to finish them, get the module to ED to make internal tensting and get feedback and fix the propper bugs and ED aproval them to release.

About freeware modules many of them has converted to official modules as MB-339A fron India Foxt Echo or the future Airplanes Simulation Company C-130, other as the A-4C-1, the MOD creatos has talked has none interest to convert on official 3rd party.

7 hours ago, Willie Nelson said:

any of the fantastic freeware modules

Don't confuse mod (=modification) with module 🙂 
They are VERY different. There are no free modules in DCS except for the TF-51 (I don't really consider the Su-25T to be a "module" either even though it's the best we can get for now).

• Like 2
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Don't confuse mod (=modification) with module  
They are VERY different. There are no free modules in DCS except for the TF-51 (I don't really consider the Su-25T to be a "module" either even though it's the best we can get for now).
Totally agree. And it sort of depends on how you classify modification too. Would you consider the T-45, UH-60L, A-4E-C etc. modifications? Personally I don't, while I do understand those that does.
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

The key term here is unofficial mods. If it’s not from ED or a Licensed Third Party it’s unofficial, and all that this entails. That’s a very clear distinction.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

On 3/3/2024 at 11:23 AM, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

(I don't really consider the Su-25T to be a "module" either even though it's the best we can get for now).

Oh, the cruelty! 

The Su-25T is a lot of fun and carries a wicked weapons load. Decent tech-toys as well. Ralfidude even made a Zero to Hero video on the Su-25T Shkval yesterday. I'm going to fly it right now and whisper sweet things in its nacelles. 

My poor little Su-25T. It don't get no respect. 😰

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Oh, the cruelty! 

The Su-25T is a lot of fun and carries a wicked weapons load. Decent tech-toys as well. Ralfidude even made a Zero to Hero video on the Su-25T Shkval yesterday. I'm going to fly it right now and whisper sweet things in its nacelles. 

My poor little Su-25T. It don't get no respect. 
Happy weekend my friend!

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beirut said:

It don't get no respect. 😰

Give it a a hug from me, and tell it is just constructive criticism because I am very well aware of the deep lurking potential 🤗

I’d love a full-fidelity Su-25!

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

1 hour ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Give it a a hug from me, and tell it is just constructive criticism because I am very well aware of the deep lurking potential 🤗

I’d love a full-fidelity Su-25!

I passed it along. You made my SU-25T smile. 

...and then it sank a couple of guided missiles into a parked car, so it's feeling pretty good about itself right now. :smoke:

• Like 2

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!