Mission Editor changes mission name to 'tempMission.miz' randomly when you quit out of a mission you're working on to return to the mission editor.

Go to solution Solved by Exorcet,

If you try and save it won't save it under it's original name that you loaded.

E.G.

Create a mission, save it with a name eg. MyMission.miz

Fly that mission from the Mission Editor screen.

Be in that mission for a minute or two, then hit ESC and then select QUIT.

On the after mission screen click MISSION EDITOR.

When back in the mission editor notice that the name of the mission has been changed by the sim to 'tempMission.miz' 

This is a bug.

• 2 weeks later...

I **believe** it might be caused by having your mission open in the mission editor, zooming in or out or scrolling around to look at something BUT NEVER CHANGING ANYTHING. Then clicking the green circle with the arrow to go fly, you get a warning dialog about saving changes - BUT YOU HAVEN'T MADE ANY CHANGES - so you click NO, go into the mission. do you stuff, hit esp to bring up the pause menu, select quit, select MISSION EDITOR on the after game report screen and when you return to the mission editor the mission name has changed to "tempMission.miz".

I think the M.E. has a flag that something changed that's getting set when nothing changes and when running a mission without saving, it then insists on changing it's name...

5 minutes ago, Elphaba said:

BUT YOU HAVEN'T MADE ANY CHANGES

scrolling around IS a change, as the ME saves your current POV position in the map as a mission attribute.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Posted (edited)

Why is that even required or useful? The zoom level you're looking at the map or where you are looking at the map isn't anything to do with the mission. None of the mission objects have changed. 

This shouldn't cause a change and it shouldn't change the mission name from under you. 

Edited by Elphaba

• Solution
1 hour ago, Elphaba said:

I **believe** it might be caused by having your mission open in the mission editor, zooming in or out or scrolling around to look at something BUT NEVER CHANGING ANYTHING.

This is correct. I was going to post this when I saw the thread earlier, but I didn't see any mention of the save changes warning in the original post so I thought it might have been a different issue.

While it's unintuitive, I can see the mission zoom setting being a save feature. I think it also changes the default F10 map position when starting a mission. That said, it can also be annoying. I'm used to it so I don't find it a big deal but disabling the temp mission feature could be a useful option. Some time ago, the ME would auto open the last played mission in a session which was something I found helpful. It would even open the mission if you had not saved it. I think that would be a nice feature to have return as an option as well.

• Thanks 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

5 minutes ago, Exorcet said:

This is correct. I was going to post this when I saw the thread earlier, but I didn't see any mention of the save changes warning in the original post so I thought it might have been a different issue.

While it's unintuitive, I can see the mission zoom setting being a save feature. I think it also changes the default F10 map position when starting a mission. That said, it can also be annoying. I'm used to it so I don't find it a big deal but disabling the temp mission feature could be a useful option. Some time ago, the ME would auto open the last played mission in a session which was something I found helpful. It would even open the mission if you had not saved it. I think that would be a nice feature to have return as an option as well.

Okay, I'll watch this space but at least I know it's a 'feature' not a bug lol