Has the A-G FCR changed since these tutorials?

RyanR
Go to solution Solved by Hobel,

Seems anything DCS tutorial that is older than a month is no longer relevant. In both of these videos, they can change the radar range while in DBS2. For the life of me, I can't get this to work. Every time I change the range, it punches me back into "NORM". Has something changed? Thanks.

-Ryan

Edited by RyanR

• Solution
Posted (edited)
Am 10.3.2024 um 01:50 schrieb RyanR:

Seems anything DCS tutorial that is older than a month is no longer relevant. In both of these videos, they can change the radar range while in DBS2. For the life of me, I can't get this to work. Every time I change the range, it punches me back into "NORM". Has something changed? Thanks.

-Ryan

Yes, there are a few changes.   There are also a few open reports. I'll look them up and post them here as well as the changes.

Edit:

So far the A/G radar seems to work, but the thing that makes it most difficult to use is the "snapback" of the cursor every time you put it down, the whole image is reset, which makes it almost impossible to use.

good to see here once IRL and once DCS

Edited by Hobel
  • Like 4

On 3/11/2024 at 8:16 AM, Hobel said:

Yes, there are a few changes.   There are also a few open reports. I'll look them up and post them here as well as the changes.

Edit:

So far the A/G radar seems to work, but the thing that makes it most difficult to use is the "snapback" of the cursor every time you put it down, the whole image is reset, which makes it almost impossible to use.

good to see here once IRL and once DCS.

Thanks for chiming in. Good to know that I'm not cracking up. 🙂  It didn't make sense to me how (in the tutorials I linked) you could be 20-40nm out, switch to DBS2, and then get a bigger/better picture by lowering the range to 10nm..... while the cursors are slewed on a point further out than 10nm. Sure enough, it doesn't work that way anymore.

Interesting that the "IRL" radar seems to give a better picture (better grayscale) than DCS. DCS seems to use fewer shades of gray.

-Ryan

• ED Team

you have to ensure you have a good angle to the area for a good DBS picture. 

Screen_240312_094322 (1).jpg

the "snap back" issue is known and reported

thank you  

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

vor 4 Stunden schrieb RyanR:

Thanks for chiming in. Good to know that I'm not cracking up. 🙂  It didn't make sense to me how (in the tutorials I linked) you could be 20-40nm out, switch to DBS2, and then get a bigger/better picture by lowering the range to 10nm..... while the cursors are slewed on a point further out than 10nm. Sure enough, it doesn't work that way anymore.

Interesting that the "IRL" radar seems to give a better picture (better grayscale) than DCS. DCS seems to use fewer shades of gray.

-Ryan

have you seen the video?
this is the "new" logic

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hobel said:

have you seen the video?
this is the "new" logic

No! I hadn't seen that video! That is the answer! I just had a chance to give it a try, and it works perfectly. Not intuitive. I've been assuming that the cursors were just slewed to the edge of the screen after dialing back the range. Thank you very much for putting that together!

I'm so excited to play around with this! I've basically been on top of targets before the FCR gave me enough of a picture to see anything meaningful. Now I'm picking up objects on airfields 40nm out. Point the plane right at it, and the image gets blurry, dial in a little angle off target into the autopilot, and the image gets much better.

Thanks guys!

-Ryan

Are you guys able to land JDAMS on vehicles? I never get accurate enough.
I understand that it may not be realistic to expect that kind of accuracy but I'm curious if there is some trick to it.

It's probably meant for bigger things like buildings,bridges etc. 

A little OT but the main issue appears to be resolved.

2 hours ago, Tenkom said:

Are you guys able to land JDAMS on vehicles? I never get accurate enough.
I understand that it may not be realistic to expect that kind of accuracy but I'm curious if there is some trick to it.

It's probably meant for bigger things like buildings,bridges etc. 

A little OT but the main issue appears to be resolved.

They won't follow a moving vehicle, and I wouldn't use the FCR to aim them. Rather, use the TGP, and slew the cursors under the vehicle, and lock in "area" mode.

A JSOW would be better for light vehicles if parked together.

-Ryan

6 hours ago, RyanR said:

They won't follow a moving vehicle, and I wouldn't use the FCR to aim them. Rather, use the TGP, and slew the cursors under the vehicle, and lock in "area" mode.

A JSOW would be better for light vehicles if parked together.

-Ryan

Yes. But sometimes there are clouds. 

18 hours ago, Tenkom said:

Yes. But sometimes there are clouds. 

True. A JSOW is still pretty effective against a lot of vehicle types, and has a wide range of destruction.

I'm not a "munitions expert", but "bombs" don't do as much collateral damage in DCS as would have thought (again, with my complete lack of real world experience). You need to get a direct hit on most things to really wreck it.

"Cluster" munitions, on the other hand, seem more destructive than I'd thought.

-Ryan

I can't seem to get to the GMT or GM radar modes in A-G mode. I have to be in Nav. Is there something that needs to be enabled for me to use GMT while in A-G mode?

I can find a target using the GMT radar while in Nav mode, but then when I hit A-G, it resets everything of course and I lose it.

Edited by unlikely_spider

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

5 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

I can't seem to get to the GMT or GM radar modes in A-G mode. I have to be in Nav. Is there something that needs to be enabled for me to use GMT while in A-G mode?

I can find a target using the GMT radar while in Nav mode, but then when I hit A-G, it resets everything of course and I lose it.

Try being in "PRE" mode for Mavericks (not VIS), or not "CCIP" for bombs.

For bombs, in CCIP, the FCR is "slaved" for calculating the impact point, so you can't use the FCR then. Change to CCRP, and the GM should come right up.

-Ryan

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, RyanR said:

For bombs, in CCIP, the FCR is "slaved" for calculating the impact point, so you can't use the FCR then. Change to CCRP, and the GM should come right up.

-Ryan

Yes, that was it, thanks.

Man, there are so many dependencies between the systems that aren't immediately apparent. Coming from the Hornet, this thing really has me working trying to understand the sensors and targeting logic.

27 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Yes, that was it, thanks.

Man, there are so many dependencies between the systems that aren't immediately apparent. Coming from the Hornet, this thing really has me working trying to understand the sensors and targeting logic.

Glad I can help. I'm still in the asking lots of questions phase. 🙂

I'm really having fun with the F-16, though it's taking all my will power to not start playing with the Hornet!

-Ryan

Glad I can help. I'm still in the asking lots of questions phase.
I'm really having fun with the F-16, though it's taking all my will power to not start playing with the Hornet!
-Ryan

100% took myself three years to be very comfortable with the f 16,now everything is a pleasure.
Next challenge apache.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

i7-11800H @ 2.30GH | 16Gb 3200MHz | GeForce RTX 3060 | Samsung 1TB SSD | KINGSTON 520GB SSD

3 hours ago, AngryViper.101 said:

100% took myself three years to be very comfortable with the f 16,now everything is a pleasure.
Next challenge apache.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Comforting to know that 3 years is where the learning curve is. So far it's been one step backwards for every two steps forwards. It can sting when taking that step backwards.

-Ryan

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RyanR said:

Comforting to know that 3 years is where the learning curve is. So far it's been one step backwards for every two steps forwards. It can sting when taking that step backwards.

-Ryan

No kidding. My typical pattern is to buy and learn a module if there are good campaigns for it, play the campaign, then move onto the next thing. I started the Viper because of the Ground Pounder Sims campaign.

I consider myself to have been pretty well versed in each of the Hog, Hornet, and Harrier modules at some point, (or at least well enough to complete multiple paid campaigns in each) but nothing has had me as confounded at the sensors in the Viper. I've gone through the training missions twice now, and still there are occasions where I am just flabbergasted at trying to figure out what the heck the targeting pod is doing at times. Some of the SPI and targeting logic is just obtuse.

Edited by unlikely_spider

On 3/18/2024 at 5:38 AM, RyanR said:

-Ryan

This is true but when you heve no air to ground weapons and you go into A-G mode the FCR defaults to AGR and the SMS page in ccip where you can't change it to ccrp because you have no weapons and so the FCR can't be changed to GM or other ground radar modes. Is this limitation in IRL too because it seems odd that you can't use the ground radar in A-G mode and can only in NAV