CRS knob speed and bindings

DimSim
Go to solution Solved by Furiz,

I'm finding the course knob frustrating to use...

If I use mouse wheel, the knob always increments or decrements in single units, so turning 180 degrees or so takes a lot of scrolling and time.

If I bind a button to CW, CCW knob rotation, the knob increments in 3 units, so fine tuning is not possible!

What I'd expect, and I believe is implemented in other jets, is the knob scroll to accelerate with rapid mouse wheel scrolling and return to single units when scrolling slowly. (Watching someone else on YouTube from a year or more ago, it looked liked this behavior was happening for them.)

The heading knob behaves the same way, but I have not been using it so far.

Can I configure nice mouse scrolling behavior within DCS F-16?

Edited by DimSim
  • Like 1

• Solution
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, DimSim said:

I'm finding the course knob frustrating to use...

If I use mouse wheel, the knob always increments or decrements in single units, so turning 180 degrees or so takes a lot of scrolling and time.

If I bind a button to CW, CCW knob rotation, the knob increments in 3 units, so fine tuning is not possible!

What I'd expect, and I believe is implemented in other jets, is the knob scroll to accelerate with rapid mouse wheel scrolling and return to single units when scrolling slowly. (Watching someone else on YouTube from a year or more ago, it looked liked this behavior was happening for them.)

The heading knob behaves the same way, but I have not been using it so far.

Can I configure nice mouse scrolling behavior within DCS F-16?

You can press and hold right mouse button on the knob and use mouse movement to fine tune your course. You can do that with all other knobs.

Edited by Furiz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the responses. I'll mark as solved.

Right mouse drag and Left Shift + Mouse wheel both allow an accelerated movement.

For some reason I was only trying Left mouse drag, which can be used for all the other knobs like light and volume controls. I guess it's because that knob also has a pressed state.

The key/button binding still seems strange as it remains a 3 step increment, so doesn't seem to suit keys or rotary encoders well.

• Like 1

Hey Dim Sim,

"The key/button binding still seems strange as it remains a 3 step increment, so doesn't seem to suit keys or rotary encoders well. "

Have you tried adjusting the default keyboard lua file?

Located here- \Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\F-16C\Input\F-16C\keyboard

This section where you can adjust the value pressed number setting-

EHSICourseKNobLue.png

Edited by Mollerz

Hi, DimSim. Welcome to the Club Of People Thrilled With Control Assignment Commands Written By AI 😉. In short The PTWCACWBA Club. We need to think of a shorter name for the club.
To answer your question: No, you can't throw a separate file in Saved Games... I mean technically you can, but while it won't break anything, it won't do anything, either.
And no - there's no easy way around what you want to achieve. I wish there was!

If you don't want to modify game files - which in itself is a viable option but requires a means to PRESERVE your changes across DCS updates - you may also use the "Quaggle's Input Command Injector" (link below). What the thing does is more or less what you're thinking about - it "injects" additional control commands on top of "official" commands in game files, using commands stored in separate files put in the Saved Games folder, exactly as you wish. Personally I don't use the mod, but frankly... I SHOULD! One day I'll get down to it.
Then you might want to peek at Munkwolf's "DCS Community Bindings" (again, link below). It's a sort of control commands library that can be used with the aforementioned "Injector" (or without it). It contains thousands of handcrafted commands not available in DCS out of the box.

https://github.com/Quaggles/dcs-input-command-injector

https://github.com/Munkwolf/dcs-community-keybinds

PS. I especially like it when a CRS or similar knob, in some aircraft, when driven by a rotary encoder or such, has a "step" not being a multitple of 1°. For example, 0.916541°. That's fun! 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

Am 16.3.2024 um 16:29 schrieb Tholozor:

Alternatively, you can hold Shift, and scroll the mouse wheel to accelerate the movement of the knob.

After 10 years of dcs, I read this...