282 warhead strength actually decreased?

From the most recent changelog, DCS 2.9.3.51704:

• Weapons. Increased APKWS M282 warhead power.

Something is amiss, here. 282s used to be a completely reliable way to kill lightly armored vehicles like BRDMs, BMPs, Shilkas, etc. with a single rocket. Since the patch, it virtually always takes two. Are others seeing this?

Edited by Fizzle

I believe the M282 have been decreased a good long while ago, after initially being very strong against basically anything less than an MBT.

It would probably take a series of tests and average scores to tell in what way their strength may have been increased.

56 minutes ago, Fizzle said:

From the most recent changelog, DCS 2.9.3.51704:

Something is amiss, here. 282s used to be a completely reliable way to kill lightly armored vehicles like BRDMs, BMPs, Shilkas, etc. with a single rocket. Since the patch, it virtually always takes two. Are others seeing this?

We also experienced similar, at least that was the impression. 

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Fizzle:

against the mentioned vehicles one should be enough, the armor is very thin on these vehicles

left New

Spoiler

Unbenannt.JPG

Edited by Hobel

Am 23.3.2024 um 13:50 schrieb King39:

I've seen this as well in testing my new campaign. Requires no less than 5 hits to kill a ZU-57 also.

Track?

Edit: yep zsu-57 is too strong.

Edited by Hobel

This weekend I also found that an unarmored SA-10 TEL took 2x282s to kill but a single 151 HE would do the job. 🤷 Happy to provide a track if it would help, but it's trivially reproducible.

This appears to be the second, possibly third change to the APKWS since its introduction but the current iteration seems like the most significant change (for the worse) to date. If there is any more degradation in its (rockets) effects, there will be an adverse effect on most of the missions in Agile Spear and may require rewrites. Lets keep our fingers crossed that they (E.D.) leaves them where they are.

• 2 weeks later...

To join the discussion, I noticed this immediately after the appearance of DCS 2.9, I wrote on this topic that compared to the previous APKWS, they are now much less efficient, before only one rocket was enough to kill light armor, now even 2 are needed /3, the attack distance has also been reduced and now it is much more difficult because you have to get very close to a dangerous target such as the ZSU for example. When I wrote about this topic, the answer on the forum was / Well, the job of a pilot is risky / I don't believe that would pilots in the real world risk being shot down because of the inefficient rocket like this,so I didn't get an answer.

At a distance of less than 6 miles, one rocket fired at a SHILKA will cause between 25 and 30% damage, once only one was enough, about BMPs and not to mention, with the same distance or less 3 rockets somehow kill it, honestly APKWS now I use it only for the softest targets, trucks and sometimes for BRDM..

Edited by Dragan
  • Like 1

@DraganWhile I agree with your findings of decreased effectiveness, I would offer that launching an APKWS from 6 miles would have negligible effects having lost a significant amount effectiveness/energy beyond 4 miles unless fired from a much higher altitude/AOA than from lower altitudes. Remember that impact angle and impact point on the target (side-on or rear as opposed to frontal) play a much greater role for longer distance shots. I would also suggest that the optimal distance to be right at 3.5 miles +/- .5 miles.

• Like 3

vor 30 Minuten schrieb King39:

@DraganWhile I agree with your findings of decreased effectiveness, I would offer that launching an APKWS from 6 miles would have negligible effects having lost a significant amount effectiveness/energy beyond 4 miles unless fired from a much higher altitude/AOA than from lower altitudes. Remember that impact angle and impact point on the target (side-on or rear as opposed to frontal) play a much greater role for longer distance shots. I would also suggest that the optimal distance to be right at 3.5 miles +/- .5 miles.

What kind of warhead does our m282 actually have?

• Like 1

The more effective missile is the M 151 compared to the M 282, I switched to them, after this thread I dropped the M 282 completely, I tested both these past few days, from the same altitude of 11,500 feet, with a slope of about 30 degrees and a distance between 6 and 7 nm on Shilka and I got a good kill with only one M 151 rocket, but the problem is with M 282, the need is 2 to 3, there is a big difference..