Auto Counter Measures

Unfortunetely that verion Ka-50 is poor (however it has LCD Abris...), so u have to use it to prevent. After enter to enemy zone try set to drop flare dispencer or do it manually from time to ime (I don't mean 1 flare per minute :P but 1 per few seconds or shorter). In a group example 4 helis it is easier cos you have 4 x more flares. Then u can fly close eachother and only one or two pilots can drop flares and that guard 4 helis.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

if you see on the counter measures panel, just below the stop and start buttons you'll see two imprinted lines...

0** continuous

99* autocontr

e.g. if you set "0--" value in the start of your counter measure sequence the flares will dispense continuously, similarly if you sequence has "99-" in the beginning it should auto counter when a missile launch is detected... am i right or wrong...?

but the sequence only goes up to 8-- in the first column of the sequence setting... any idea...

177441065_countermeasures.thumb.jpg.0675dde697f34cf325b4325c588bc4db.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The first number depicts the cycles, the second number how many flares will be ejected each cycle and the last number is the time in seconds between cycles.

There are 2 notable exceptions though. if the first digit is set to 5 or 7 the actual cycle quantity is 12 resp. 15. 0 equals continuous release.

And if the third digit is 7, 9 or 0 the actual time between releases is 0.25; 0,5; 0,125 seconds.

The program, i.e. the three digits, only help the pilot to reduce his attention needed for the release of flares in a preprogrammed fashion.

The system is solely programmed through the pilot's input, it's not linked with the laser warning receiver.

if you see on the counter measures panel, just below the stop and start buttons you'll see two imprinted lines...

0** continuous

99* autocontr

e.g. if you set "0--" value in the start of your counter measure sequence the flares will dispense continuously, similarly if you sequence has "99-" in the beginning it should auto counter when a missile launch is detected... am i right or wrong...?

but the sequence only goes up to 8-- in the first column of the sequence setting... any idea...

The Ka-50 cannot detect missiles. Hence, there is no such thing as automatic flare release. The 99- setting is a maintenance setting for use by the ground crew. It does not stand for auto counter. Again, there isn't a system that can detect IR missiles in the first place. You may be confused by the LWS, laser warning reciever, which can pick up a ranging/designating laser. In almost all cases, however, there is no lasing associated with IR missile targeting, therefore it would be senseless to link the flare dispenser to the LWS. If you hear the "Under Attack" warning from the LWS, it usually means a tank is ranging you and getting ready to fire its main gun.

Edited by slug88

.....In almost all cases, however, there is no lasing associated with IR missile targeting, therefore it would be senseless to link the flare dispenser to the LWS. If you hear the "Under Attack" warning from the LWS, it usually means a tank is ranging you and getting ready to fire its main gun.

Almost but not quite.......;)

A often-encountered nuisance on the Virtual Battlefield, our wee friend the M1097 Avenger, utilises amongst other sensors, a Laser Rangefinder........and trust me when I say that you do indeed get a warning of your impending doom!

That said, the warning is usually very closely followed by the Devil-Dart itself, so if like me the warning takes a wee while to process effectively then you're walking home.........If however you are lucid enough to timeously spam flares then your chances of blisters due to ineffective/worn out LPC's are effectively reduced.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I believe that the 99X setting is the automatic flare dispense mode but while the flare system can accept automatic prompting from a warning system, no such warning system is installed in the Ka-50 so the function is not there.

It's like if there's an option CD player addon for your car but you didn't get that option. The radio head unit will have a "CD" button but it doesn't work because the required component isn't there.

And there are most assuredly missile warning systems, just not on the Ka-50.

I believe that the 99X setting is the automatic flare dispense mode but while the flare system can accept automatic prompting from a warning system, no such warning system is installed in the Ka-50 so the function is not there.

It's like if there's an option CD player addon for your car but you didn't get that option. The radio head unit will have a "CD" button but it doesn't work because the required component isn't there.

And there are most assuredly missile warning systems, just not on the Ka-50.

i think that is the case that you have just mentioned... even if you see in chapter 7 of the manual... i think its on page 4... in the General Guidelines "when approaching the (FEBA) in pt.4. Activate UV-26 automatic flare dispensing program. use a pogram suitable to the suspected air defense types...

why it says automatic when the pilot has to do it manually... the 0XX function gives a continuous dispense... hence 99X should give the automatic dispense of self programed function... but as you say its absent...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As mentioned above, the 99X setting is for "Autocontrol", meaning built-in test. It is not an automatic activation setting. Such functionality might be possible in general, but is not used on the Ka-50. At least, not according to anything provided to ED.

why it says automatic when the pilot has to do it manually...
Because the UV-26 fires the flares automatically. The pilot only has to initiate and end the sequence.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

As mentioned above, the 99X setting is for "Autocontrol", meaning built-in test. It is not an automatic activation setting. Such functionality might be possible in general, but is not used on the Ka-50. At least, not according to anything provided to ED.

Because the UV-26 fires the flares automatically. The pilot only has to initiate and end the sequence.

Got It... :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

if the LWS can light a light when a laser is painting the helo, it could start an auto routine. Just making a point. :)

Yes it could be done but what good is it? If you are getting lased it most likely indicates that you are either being shot at with ballistic projectiles or with optically controlled missiles. Flares will do no good against those. If you are up against a Linebacker or whatever laser equipped IR SAM, you should be made aware by the briefing and act accordingly.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

if the LWS can light a light when a laser is painting the helo, it could start an auto routine. Just making a point. :)

what happened once that the an avenger was painting my helo ran out of missiles, the LWS kept on warning me even after resetting it... Reason: i was locked even though he had no missles... so that way you will waste your flares...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]