Multiple Monitor Setup Recomendation

I am still amazed at the immersion that can be achieved in this simulation.

I finally had some time to get my second monitor hooked up and running in Black Shark. I'm using the second monitor set up on the right for the Shkval only.

For those that have the opprotunity to use a second monitor, while it's a bit of a headache to understand in the beginning, the results are well worth the time and effort.

I'm running my main monitor at 1680x1050 and the Shkval at 1280x1024 in Vista 64 with no problems and no perceptable performance hits.

If you're looking for instructions on setting this up and don't want to read through 22 pages of posts in the other thread go to -

http://www.vaaf.net/wiki2/index.php5?title=Black_Shark_MultiMonitors

For Vista users, one of the most important things in his instructions is this line -

options.lua on Windows 7 (and also, reportedly, Vista) appears to be read by DCS in the folder C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50\BlackShark\data\scripts, rather than in [root]\BlackShark\data\scripts. One person recently spent a week banging his head against a wall because of this.

This one point above should be highlighted in bold print (in his instructions) because it was the key to getting my set-up working.

It seemed that BOTH of my options.lua files (the one above and the one in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50\BlackShark\data\scripts) folder had to be edited and exactally alike. Once that was done, my 2 screen set-up worked perfectly.

ron

That's interesting. Ive been running a 2 monitor set up on Vista 64 Ultimate for some time now and my C:\Users\Lew\AppData\Local\VirtualStore folder is empty and my setup runs just fine.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

I went through alot of frustration with this. It was weird because none of the changes I would make the to the lua file would have any effect on the screen layout.

Apparently BS uses the lua file in the virtualstore folder if you have UAC enabled in Vista.

I was amazed that no-one else had every brought up the issue before. I should be added to the wiki though.

I got the help I needed in this thread.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=42862

I wish I have never seen this thread, it truly wasted me a lot of time. I spend whole bank holiday monday trying to set this up instead of playing the game and all I get is regular camera view over 2 monitors (it's high rez and looks good tho).

I can see my custom config (cam+skhval) displayed in game options

I can see big resolution (both literally and selected in game)

I run the game in windowed mode because I am on Vista.

But I cannot get skhval to display in "separate" window, it seems that my custom monitor setup lua is simply ignored by the game (yes, it is in correct place)

p.s. I edit everything with Notepad++ since it's been released.

I have my setup this way too, with the shkval on my right monitor. My only problem is that communication messages is displayed on one portion top right of the center (main) screen and the rest on my right top left screen. I wish it was displayed just on the main screen. I have my second screen aligned at the top right side of my main screen, if I have it lower it does not display at all and when it is displayed it gets stuck untill another message is displayed or the shkval is in use. Is there anyway to make the messages display on either the right or main screen only? My monitor lua and my option lua look like this;

monitor+shkval lua

Description = 'Shkval on the right and camera on the center'

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 1920;

height = 1080;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.777;

}

}

Shkval =

{

x = 1920;

y = 0;

width = 1400;

height = 900;

}

options lua

["graphics"] =

{

["multiMonitorSetup"] = "my_monitorsetup_shkval",

["color"] = "32",

["heatBlr"] = 1,

["scenes"] = "medium",

["water"] = 2,

["fullScreen"] = false,

["visibRange"] = "High",

["aspect"] = 3.07,

["textures"] = 2,

["shadows"] = 2,

["display_mode"] =

{

["avi"] =

{

["bpp"] = 32,

["resolution"] = "640x480",

["full_screen"] = false,

["aspect"] = 1.33,

["height"] = 480,

["width"] = 640,

}, -- end of ["avi"]

}, -- end of ["display_mode"]

["effects"] = 3,

["lights"] = 2,

["haze"] = 1,

["terrPrld"] = "20",

["height"] = 1080,

["resolution"] = "3320x1080",

["civTraffic"] = 1,

["width"] = 3320,

}, -- end of ["graphics"]

} -- end of options

Go Ugly Early

I wish I have never seen this thread, it truly wasted me a lot of time. I spend whole bank holiday monday trying to set this up instead of playing the game and all I get is regular camera view over 2 monitors (it's high rez and looks good tho).

I can see my custom config (cam+skhval) displayed in game options

I can see big resolution (both literally and selected in game)

I run the game in windowed mode because I am on Vista.

But I cannot get skhval to display in "separate" window, it seems that my custom monitor setup lua is simply ignored by the game (yes, it is in correct place)

p.s. I edit everything with Notepad++ since it's been released.

Make sure when you specify the customised setup lua that you EXCLUDE the .LUA extension.

• 2 weeks later...
. Is there anyway to make the messages display on either the right or main screen only? My monitor lua and my option lua look like this;

Unfortunately not, only ED can fix this (and they should). All messages should go the the "camera1" screen exclusively.

BTW: I edited the wiki and copied the options.lua location warning to the top of the vista/win7 section. I'll check with the person responsible for the vista/win7 section (I use XP) to make sure that I didn't make a mess of it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Australian Air Force

Is the information in this Thread still relevant and reliable ????

The posts don't seem to be in chronological order (sorted by date) ???!!!!

I see messages from 2005, 2008 and 2009, but not in any particular order.

If this info is still relevant, can someone tell me Why Vista has to be set in Windowed Mode ? That sucks.

SnowTiger:joystick:

If this info is still relevant, can someone tell me Why Vista has to be set in Windowed Mode ? That sucks.

Yes, it is still relevant. What you are lookming at is the date each of the posters originally joined the forums (under their names). The posting date is on the left in the banner preceding the post.

Vista does not support spanning multiple monitors therefore must be run in window mode.

WH_Blaster (Larry) :beer:

US Air Force (Retired, 1961-1981)

Join us for fun with the DCS series and other games at the War Hawks Squad website ... we are a mature gaming group that enjoys realism and having fun! http://war-hawks.net

System: i7=950 @ 3.3 GHz, GA-X58-UDR3 MB, 6GB RAM, GTX770, 256GB system SSD, 128GB gaming SSD, TIR5, TM HOTAS WH, HannsG 28-in, Acer 23-in touch screen.

The message *posting* dates are on the red bars. I suspect that the non-chronological dates that you are seeing are the join dates of the various message authors. ;)

The info, AFAIK, is still relevant.

Vista, and Windows 7, had an important capability removed from them (for Digital Rights Management concerns) that Windows XP had built-in... Horizontal and Vertical spanning of the display. Yes, it sucks.

Fortunately, it looks like the new ATI cards "eyefinity" capabilities are going to give us a new way to get around Vista / 7's brain damage. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Why Vista has to be set in Windowed Mode ? That sucks.

Running DCS under vista32 in windowed mode is no drama, and you dont see the toolbar or anything crazy like that.

Looks like this-

20090711122455.th.jpg

ps- the picture quality flared a little, but i can assure you its all first class GFX in RL.

• 6 months later...

Hi...I have been looking in forum and searching for 2 monitor setup. I have first 22" mon at 1920*1080, and i wish to use second 19" monitor for shkval and abris set at 1024*768. Can somebody post a link to get the needed files for this setup to work, or send me files?

I am using Win7, Ati HD 5750.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia