Outside Air Temperature

Ebodee

So yeah, outside air temperature. I am departing up a valley ascending toward snowcaps when I get an EKRAN reminder to turn on my rotor anti-ice. Well, ok, I think I will also engage my engine anti-ice as well without verifying it is already on when I hear the all familiar sound of both my engines spooling down and rotor RPM slowing... I suppose dust protection is not as useful in temperatures below freezing.

Other than via the FPL in EBRIS which is an indirect measurement and inference of the temperature, is there any other method inside the office to directly measure the Outside Air Temperature (OAT)?

.....is there any other method inside the office to directly measure the Outside Air Temperature (OAT)?

I suppose Opening the Cockpit Door and Sticking your Head out does'nt Count?

:P

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Other than via the FPL in EBRIS which is an indirect measurement and inference of the temperature, is there any other method inside the office to directly measure the Outside Air Temperature (OAT)?

Look at the engine oil temps prior to startup. ;)

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

FPL button on the ABRIS will show temps at each waypoint. It is part of every startup routine for me.

If you need rotor anti-ice, you need the engine anti-ice screens, and, as you learned when it is too late, you are too late :)

I turn on rotor and engine anti-ice when temps are single digit. Pitot heat is always on as is the INS anti-ice.

Pitot heat is always on as is the INS anti-ice.

I believe that the INS heat serves not keeping the INU from freezing, but to speed up alignment when the oil is cold, at least that's how i remember somebody explaining it.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

There's an outside (well, similar to Mi-8's and Mi-24's) thermometer on the cockpit ceiling, however it is not simulated. I think it should be. Does ABRIS show temps according to its FPL? If so, if I deviate from plan, either in coordinates or altitude (!), this pure thermometer would be useful. IRL, in late autumn, winter and early spring, we often take a look on it as we change altitude by hundreds of meters.

Cheers!

За всю историю никто и никогда не сумел завоевать Афганистан. Hикто и никогда

There's an outside (well, similar to Mi-8's and Mi-24's) thermometer on the cockpit ceiling, however it is not simulated.

Ooooooohhhhhh so that's what it was... I was soo puzzled by a non-moving dial on my ceiling... too bad it's not simulated, it's really missing.

Westinghouse W-600 refrigerator - Corona six-pack - Marlboro reds - Patience by Girlfriend

"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." (Dr. A. R. Dykes - British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976)

I always work on the basis that you lose about 2 degrees C for every 1,000ft when in Western aircraft and 6 degrees C for every 1,000m in Russian.

Naturally the actual lapse rate isn't 2 and 6 but this makes it easier to calculate for the rule of thumb, and sure as hell is close enough for the purposes of this sim.

Also I was taught to switch the Pitot Heat on whenever you are in rain and always at 10 degrees C or below.

You can work out the freezing level easily enough at the start of the mission with those two rules of thumb :)

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Ooooooohhhhhh so that's what it was... I was soo puzzled by a non-moving dial on my ceiling... too bad it's not simulated, it's really missing.

I agree, it would be very nice to see that modeled, as it is something that can save your butt against icing in the mountains.

Current Sims:

DCS Black Shark, Falcon 4.0, X-Plane 9, Steel Beasts Pro PE, IL-2 1946, ArmA 2, FSX, Rise of Flight, EECH, Harpoon 3 ANW, CSP

I agree, it would be very nice to see that modeled, as it is something that can save your butt against icing in the mountains.

I'll put my hand up too... I've always though it was a bit odd that there was no external temp indicator... :cry: I love my KA-50 and it don't talk to me :cry: