The G940. a guide...

wooo, after days of fiddling, fighting with the heli, getting frustrated, reading/posting in forums etc. i decided to write this post and try to cover most of the things. i think i found a good setup to get started, my flying skills boosted up already (hovering, high speed low altitude, fast stopping without gaining too much height, stabilizing, aiming, fighting, landing on a ship, dive under bridges and cables, ;) )

(sorry for any bad english)

in the beginning:

1. unpack your shiny mighty g940 ;)

2. download the current drivers from logitech (version 5.08 at the moment)

3. install them and plug in the monster. TAPE THE SENSOR AT THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE STICK! otherwise the deadman sensor will prevent the ffb-trim working correctly.

4. goto windows settings - gamecontrollers - recheck the calibration from the software setup

5. FORCE FEEDBACK Part1: also check the force feedback settings of the g940 joystick:

my personal recommendation: - leave everything on 100% - uncheck the "center-spring" (maybe bad translated)

6. recheck the following files in the blackshark-directory, if you changed something for your former joystick/flightsystem/controller:

root\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common - FMOptions.lua

HelicopterTrimmerZonePitch = 0.05;

HelicopterTrimmerZoneRoll = 0.05;

HelicopterTrimmerZoneRudder = 0.1;

HelicopterTrimmerTauInverse = 7.0;

root\Config - Producer.cfg

ForceFeedbackEnabled = true; !!!

7. HANDLING:

startup the Logitech Profiler.

choose device -> g940 joystick

choose game -> dcs black shark (this is logitechs default profile, didn't like it, deleted it for a new one)

on the left side, all axis configurations for the joystick are listed (X, Y, MiniX, MiniY ...):

left click - axis properties - HERE YOU SETUP YOUR PREFERED HANDLING OF EVERY AXIS OF THE STICK - NEVER TOUCH THE DEFAULT SETTINGS OF THE AXIS TUNE PANEL IN DCS:BLACK SHARK OPTIONS (like deadzone, curvature, saturation and stuff...)

my recommendation:

axis sensitivity - 0% (yes!)

deadzone - 0%

range - 100%

for the beginning, apply these settings to every! axis of all devices (throttle and pedals too), the result will be a very precise handling experience. but you can come back later anytime and make your own setting. EVEN DURING FLIGHT YOU CAN ALT-TAB SWITCH TO THE PROFILER AND ADJUST YOUR SETTINGS AND KEYBINDINGS! (thats cool...)

recommendation for the right throttle-axis, check -> invert, a helo-collective is pulled in reality...

if you are already firm with the keystrokes you want to assign to the joystick buttons - hack them in...

examples:

- T for trim on the stickbutton S4

- SPACE for firing the cannon on the trigger

- RIGHT-ALT + SPACE for missiles/ rockets/ bombs on the red colored fire-button

OOOPS! in version 5.08 of the profiler, there maybe a bug with recording the RIGHT-ALT + SPACE combination. somehow a CTRL-key is also recorded, no problem.

simply export the current profile to an xml-file.

open it with a texteditor (like notepad), search for the command table containing: Name="Keystroke LCTRL + ALT GR + SPACE" (may differ depending on your localization, had to translate this from german)

in this table look for:

<Event Type="Key" Keyname="LCTRL" Up="false" KeynameUndo="LCTRL" />

delete it, rename the name of the table from Name="Keystroke LCTRL + ALT GR + SPACE" to Name="Keystroke ALT GR + SPACE". save and re-import it to the profiler.

8. START BLACK SHARK:

go to options - controls.

check if there are any actions configured with the g940 buttons. if so, delete them all, use the logitech-profiler for all bindings to the buttons of the flightsystem. after cleaning all up, there should be only the keyboard-bindings left (i recommend leaving the default keyboard-bindings untouched, furthermore, i deleted everything of the arcade-mode, including keyboard-bindings).

next, go to options - controls - AXIS COMMANDS.

if there are any settings on the 3 g940 devices, delete them.

now add:

g940 joystick - cyclic pitch JOY Y - cyclic roll JOY X

g940 pedals - rudder JOY RZ - wheel brake JOY Y (also add JOY X if you like)

g940 throttle - first: REMOVE THE LINK BETWEEN THE LEFT & RIGHT THROTTLE on the device - then bind collective JOY X (THE RIGHT THROTTLE)

after that reconnect them or bind another action to the left throttle if you don't want to use them together.

9. FORCE FEEDBACK Part2

now click on FF TUNE.

to start with something, i recommend TRIMMER FORCE = 50, SHAKE seems to have no effect at all (i never felt an impact changing that setting).

ok, thats enough for a flight test. (don't forget the trimmer binding in the logi-profiler)

10. start a mission or create an empty scenario for basic flight testing.

now take off and check it out. you can always pause and alt-tab to the profiler and adjust the axis settings and button bindings. have fun and good luck!

:pilotfly:

i hope i didn't forget something...

feel free to post your own tips & tricks.

ps: thanks a lot to all the forum members who helped me finding these settings.

edit 25.october'09:

i highly recommend these posts:

- for handling, sensitivity, ffb settings... http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=45809

- a basic flight/combat logiprofiler-setup: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=763179&postcount=28

(but for german version of BS and logi-profiler!)

- first mod for the throttle LED's: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=45895

made a picture with the working version of morg's g940led tool:

i used amber for standby/off/inactive, green for active and red for special (AP Ammo, Landinggear).

as you can see the LED's are displaying that i'm hovering, in target tracking mode, landinggear retracted, moving ground target and turn to target activated, using HE cannon rounds.

update august 2010:

- please use the new logitech 5.09 driver

- update the firmware of the G940

- check this post: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=954388&postcount=118

IMAG0012.jpg.2bcdb6b123afa5b23def04ad21a6a870.jpg

Edited by Alec Delorean
update
  • Like 5

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some comments on FFB-trim with the g940.

the sensitivity in the profiler affects the precision of the trim lock a little bit, it's not perfect, but acceptable for now.

in FF TUNE with TRIMMER FORCE 100 you will feel THE FORCE, for sure. :)

nice little trick to check the precision of the FFB-motors:

while parked on ground, let go of the stick and use the keyboard cursor keys for steering.

watch whats happening with the joystick.

my next little project: - unchain rudder from trim on the g940 - until official fixed

read this post from PeterP: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=675561&postcount=13

i started with the recording of a macro in the logi-profiler.

press T - pause - release T - pause - press Y - pause - release Y - pause - press X - pause - release X (german keyboard layout! Z Y swapped)

then fine tuned the table in the exported xml-file. (the profiler seems to work with english keyboard internally, because here appears the Z automatically)

<Command Id="39" Name="Trim + Rudder fix"><Event Type="Key" Keyname="T" Up="false" /><Event Type="Pause" Time="63" /><Event Type="Key" Keyname="T" Up="true" /><Event Type="Pause" Time="63" /><Event Type="Key" Keyname="Z" Up="false" /><Event Type="Pause" Time="63" /><Event Type="Key" Keyname="X" Up="false" /><Event Type="Pause" Time="63" /><Event Type="Key" Keyname="Z" Up="true" /><Event Type="Pause" Time="63" /><Event Type="Key" Keyname="X" Up="true" />

pause is now set to 0.1 seconds.

i need more information of possible event types in xml, something that says WAIT until the T key is released to get back to the original trim procedure.

2nd project:

assigning the ABRISS brightness, Shkval brightness and contrast control dials to the trimmer wheels in the logi-profiler. i hope it's possible to do that. no luck so far. damn, i deleted the default BS-profile too quickly before looking if this was implemented already .

Edited by Alec Delorean

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

some comments on FFB-trim with the g940.

the sensitivity in the profiler affects the precision of the trim lock a little bit, it's not perfect, but acceptable for now.

in FF TUNE with TRIMMER FORCE 100 you will feel THE FORCE, for sure. :)

nice little trick to check the precision of the FFB-motors:

while parked on ground, let go of the stick and use the keyboard cursor keys for steering.

watch whats happening with the joystick.

my next little project: - unchain rudder from trim on the g940 - until official fixed

read this post from PeterP: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=675561&postcount=13

i started with the recording of a macro in the logi-profiler.

press T - pause - release T - pause - press Y - pause - release Y - pause - press X - pause - release X

then fine tuned the table in the exported xml-file.

<Command Id="39" Name="Trim + Rudder fix"><Event Type="Key" Keyname="T" Up="false" /><Event Type="Pause" Time="63" /><Event Type="Key" Keyname="T" Up="true" /><Event Type="Pause" Time="63" /><Event Type="Key" Keyname="Z" Up="false" /><Event Type="Pause" Time="63" /><Event Type="Key" Keyname="X" Up="false" /><Event Type="Pause" Time="63" /><Event Type="Key" Keyname="Z" Up="true" /><Event Type="Pause" Time="63" /><Event Type="Key" Keyname="X" Up="true" />

pause is now set to 0.1 seconds.

i need more information of possible event types in xml, something that says WAIT until the T key is released to get back to the original trim procedure.

2nd project:

assigning the ABRISS brightness, Shkval brightness and contrast control dials to the trimmer wheels in the logi-profiler. i hope it's possible to do that. no luck so far. damn, i deleted the default BS-profile too quickly before looking if this was implemented already .

I know this must sound stupid but where do I do this? Right now I thought that I should make a new command "Trimmer+rudder fix", go inte to alternatives and check to record paus. Then I pressed the key sequence that you stated and assigned the key to a button on the joystick. Then I exported to xml, edited the time to 63. But when I look at your string it has the keys "T" "X" and "Z", not the keys you stated at first "T" "Y" and "X".

What do I do wrong?

• Like 1

Go Ugly Early

press T - pause - release T - pause - press Y - pause - release Y - pause - press X - pause - release X

Nice write-up, thank you! :thumbup:

I think you mistyped in the first part of your trimmer assignment ... did you mean keypresses T-Z-X?

I implemented this and it does work ... but if I hold down the trimmer button then it appears to send multiple rudder commands ... still tweaking this one. Right now I am just tap the Trim control button when I want to trim whereas I used to hold it down while making changes. I don't see any way to implement the macro where it waits for the release of the T key before moving to the rudder pulses...that is a real deficiency for the Logitech profiler SW if true. :(

One possibility might be a cycle command for the trim function where the first press uses a Keystroke Command "T" which will hold till you release it. Then the second cycle command can be the macro sending a "Z" "X" sequence pulse. But you'd have to remember to always tap the Trimmer control button after every trim...not ideal.

On using the trimmer rotators, I created three zone commands for ABRIS (brightness) and Schkval (brightness & contrast) and then just assigned the zones to the trimmer wheels. It seems to work but I haven't tested at night yet.

• Like 1

WH_Blaster (Larry) :beer:

US Air Force (Retired, 1961-1981)

Join us for fun with the DCS series and other games at the War Hawks Squad website ... we are a mature gaming group that enjoys realism and having fun! http://war-hawks.net

System: i7=950 @ 3.3 GHz, GA-X58-UDR3 MB, 6GB RAM, GTX770, 256GB system SSD, 128GB gaming SSD, TIR5, TM HOTAS WH, HannsG 28-in, Acer 23-in touch screen.

ahhh sorry, it's my german keyboard layout! Y Z are swapped, but the logi profiler recognizes Z for Y.

it may be a little confusing...

so in my german version of black shark Y + X is the rudder.

i think the profiler works with an english layout internally. so for a german version this is the right table setting. :smilewink:

Sorry for the dumb question..... but has the Orginal post been edited by the OP to correct mistakes in translation?

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/

I still have a computer-crashing bug in the Logitech software crippling my shift-button capability. When a shift button (S5) on the stick is pressed, and a throttle button is pressed, a hard computer crash results. Vista x64. Anyone else?

another tip, maybe a "normal" issue when using the logitech profiler.

when you enter a mission, before unpause, just move your throttle to the min and max of the axis, this does some kind of calibration. black shark doesn't seem to recognize the actual position of the throttle controller when you enter the game.

@ emenance

yes, i try to correct something when i find it, as good as possible.

@ lava

any driver interfering? other game controllers installed but not connected?

maybe there are some leftovers in your registry, check it there:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM

hmmm, also tried different settings today, no luck.

i think it's impossible, unless ED gives us an axis assignment that works like the collective in BS for this.

Alec, this crash started after Logitech patched in shift buttons to work across all devices. Didn't have any problems before, and at least one person has contacted me via PM with the same problem. What OS are you running?

hmmm, also tried different settings today, no luck.

i think it's impossible, unless ED gives us an axis assignment that works like the collective in BS for this.

The thing is that its possible to assign these things to the other "wheels" so why can't we do it to the trim wheels?

Go Ugly Early

@Lava

i have vista64, the v5.08 was the first installation of the profiler.

will test the shift functionality today...

@Kirai

what i mean is the functionality how the collective-input is handled in the game.

you move it, let go, its stays there and holds/stops the input data. a typical slider or better -> potentiometer [elec.]. but all the other wheels don't work like that, no matter if you check slider for axis to define them as a slider.

example:

when you try to assign g940 throttle wheels R1 + R2 to the shkval, it behaves like a joystick, you always must return to the center to make it stop moving. thats useless. i really would like to assign the shkval to R1 & R2 :-(

so if we want the luxury of assigning most of the "real" potentiometers of the cockpit to our flightsystems, ED has to integrate them into OPTIONS->CONTROLS->AXIS COMMANDS and make the slider function work properly...

simple test: detached the left throttle from the right throttle and assigned it to the shkval horizontal axis, it suddenly behaves like a joystick, checking or unchecking slider makes no difference (it seems that this functionality doesn't work at all).

yeah ED guys, we g940 users start becoming greedy! :music_whistling:

@Lava

i have vista64, the v5.08 was the first installation of the profiler.

will test the shift functionality today...

@Kirai

what i mean is the functionality how the collective-input is handled in the game.

you move it, let go, its stays there and holds/stops the input data. a typical slider or better -> potentiometer [elec.]. but all the other wheels don't work like that, no matter if you check slider for axis to define them as a slider.

example:

when you try to assign g940 throttle wheels R1 + R2 to the shkval, it behaves like a joystick, you always must return to the center to make it stop moving. thats useless. i really would like to assign the shkval to R1 & R2 :-(

so if we want the luxury of assigning most of the "real" potentiometers of the cockpit to our flightsystems, ED has to integrate them into OPTIONS->CONTROLS->AXIS COMMANDS and make the slider function work properly...

simple test: detached the left throttle from the right throttle and assigned it to the shkval horizontal axis, it suddenly behaves like a joystick, checking or unchecking slider makes no difference (it seems that this functionality doesn't work at all).

yeah ED guys, we g940 users start becoming greedy! :music_whistling:

Oh you are totally right. I meant that it works but not good. I have assigned one wheel to zoom in cockpit and it behaves exactly like you said. I have to make a deadzone in the middle and stop the zoom from zooming everytime I use it and well that sucks. I hope ED can make this work as intended, it cant be that hard.

Go Ugly Early

@Lava

hmmm, had no problem with the shift functionality defined in the logi-profiler.

maybe something within your setup, hardware or software related. do you have all servicepacks and updates of vista installed?

assigned S5 on the stick to be the shift-button, and P1 on the throttle to have 9 (ABRIS brightness decrease) and shifted state 0 (ABRIS brightness increase). worked in game, no crash.

so with the logi-profiler and shift-mode + 3mode-switch you can define 6 functions to one button, short calculation, this makes 120 actions, cool...

Bothe are 9 inches x 7 5/8 inches.

Add and inch to the length of the joystick base if you will need to account for the wires connections.

_:Windows 10 64 Bit, I7 3770 3.4Ghz, 16 Gigs Ram, GTX 960, TM Warthog, Track IR 5 w/Pro Clip:_

Alec,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to discover the tweaks and settings in G940 and Black Shark to optimize the controls and experience. When I created the profile, my goal was to get all the key commands into it, so users could assign them as they like.

Every sim is different, and adding force feedback adds to the complexity. I'll be tuning my personal settings to these.

Flight System G940 Product Manager

Logitech

Thanks Alec.

I've been struggling with getting the trim to "stick". I always seem to get slop on the stick after trimming. I would have the stick full right, click trim then the stick would drift halfway back to center even with the dead man switch covered with black tape. Setting sensitivity up to 100% and the force feedback trim sticks exactly where I put it. I would never have thought to look for that setting.

Unfortunately this has a side effect of your original problem of the very twitchy controls. I'm now messing with curves in game to tone down the twitchy feel. I'm also still getting major backlash sometimes when setting the trim where the joystick will jerk significantly.

Mark any reason why sensitivity would have impact on force feedback. It doesn't seem like it should!

Current settings for me:

DCS Black Shark Profile

X & Y Axis Sensitivity: 100%

Joystick Setting

Overall Effect Strength: 100%

Spring Strength: 100%

Dampening Effect: 100%

DCS Control Settings

Force Feedback Strength: 75

Shake Strength: 50

X & Y Joystick Axis: 25 Curve

I'm going to play more tonight to figure out how saturation vs curve in game.

Gadroc,

Try this. Turn Overall Effect Strength and Dampening Effect to 20%. Your trim will stick. Then you can play with it from there.

_:Windows 10 64 Bit, I7 3770 3.4Ghz, 16 Gigs Ram, GTX 960, TM Warthog, Track IR 5 w/Pro Clip:_

FWIW, keep in mind that DCS:BS has a config file that has FFB related settings:

...\Eagle Dynamincs\Ka-50\Config\Contactor.cfg

TrimmerGain = 1.0;

ShakeGain = 0.5;

SwapForceAxes = 0;

MinForce = 0.7;

MinForceIAS = 85.0;

MaxForce = 1.0;

MaxForceIAS = 250.0;

There might be something useful in there...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1