Which one?

Hi,

Pardon a newbie's ignorance but I'm looking to buy a copy of Lock On on ebay and I'm seeing two different lables for the first edition. I'm wondering if there's any difference in the discs (updates, patches?) between the two or is it just simply a difference in packaging.

Thanks

72ab_8.JPG Lock_On_Modern_Air_Combat.jpg

Different packaging. But yeah get the Gold so you have FC then patch [remeber to get the correct one] to 1.12.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Thank you guys for the quick response. My only apprehensions about buying Flaming Cliffs are the comments I've read on some forums about Starforce. I just bought a new $1400 i7 rig and I'm leary of installing anything that might cause the kind of problems others have mentioned.

I'm considering installing all of my games (including Flaming Cliffs) on an external hard drive. Would that provide any benefit in terms of preventing any Starforce problems to the rest of my system?

Thanks again.

No, it wouldn't do anything; the old starfcorce driver MAY affect an optical drive. It's probably unlikely at this point, but if you're worried you can buy the original Lock On, and buy Flaming Cliffs as a download (uses activation, no disk driver).

If you are running windows 7, the download version might also be your best bet.

Flaming cliffs is practically a must for online play, but if you don't care for it you can stick to original Lock-On.

I'd still encourage you to get FC ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

LockOn Gold Flaming Cliffs Gold, as advised above.

There are many flight sims out there, some are pretty decent (IL2 and DCS Black Shark), and some are far too complicated (Rise of Flight) but this beast is still the best of the bunch by a long way, despite it's shortcomings.

Welcome to the Nuthouse mate ... climb into your padded cell and indulge yourself.

......and yes, I prefer to have the added features of Flaming Cliffs.....

You will not be disappointed :thumbup:

And Yeah - Contrary to what the Majority of the Fast-Jet Jockeys would have you believe, the T-Toad is where it's at! There's a Reason it's called Flaming Cliffs as opposed to Flaming Clouds........:vertag:

:tomato:.....Ducks for Cover.....:tomato:

For all your Add-On/Mod requirements, head over to LockonFiles - everything and more.

http://www.lockonfiles.com/

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Why duck? The joke's on you, it was going to be Flaming Rocks originally ;) Just the right way to describe froggies....

:D

:blow:

And Yeah - Contrary to what the Majority of the Fast-Jet Jockeys would have you believe, the T-Toad is where it's at! There's a Reason it's called Flaming Cliffs as opposed to Flaming Clouds........:vertag:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Don't b discouraged by Starforce, I play FC for what...4 years and Starforce never caused any problems. I use boxed LOMAC+FC versions and I reinstalled the game for twenty or more times so far on different OS but I never noticed Starforce messing with anything.

So it's a myth not actual threat!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't think there is an old version out there right now so lockon gold should be safe. I have used it and loaded it many times and have had no problems. If you don't try to copy it with an optical drive you are most likely safe. Welcome to the pack:thumbup:

The box on the right could be the DVD copy.

ASROCK Z77 Pro4, I5 3570K, 16GB DDR3, GTX 760SC, Corsair TX750W, Sound Blaster X-FI Extreme, Solid State Hard Drive, Full Homebuilt Cockpit, TM HOTAS Wartpig, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TrackIR-5 w/TrackClip Pro, Vizio 42inch 1080p Monitor, Windows 7 64bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

Simw are a company with a good reputation, I am sure if they sell you Lockon Gold it will be OK and not one of the problem copies. If it was not I am sure they would swap it for you.

I think it was only in the USA that there was a problem with GOLD, I think the European copies of GOLD were all OK.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....