ArmA2: Operation Arrowhead

Total

I'm still disappointing at some of the games that don't have seasons. You'd think that these epic free roaming games would have some pretty intense weather options available. GTA4 has some wicked thunderstorms but that was about it. I'd love for sandstorms to be apart of Arrowhead, or to fight in the snow in Chenerous.

Crunch, it really depends on how you fight them. If you go in with a tank and mow them down, its really not that fun. If you go in as a infantry team and you are clearing a town house by house, its much more fun and dynamic. I admit domination, evolution and even warfare game types feel like grinding from time to time. I grow tired of taking out towns with the approximate same unit composition and then moving onto the next one and doing it all over again. The big thing about arrowhead the breaths life into normal co-op scenarios is that most buildings can be entered, and if the mission builder put the bad guys in buildings you can expect for some intense surprises.

There are some cool real world trade offs they implemented. Many weapons can no longer be sighted using night vision goggles. For instance you can't use ACOGs, however most of them have a iron sight attached to the top of the scope for NVG use and a ton of weapons have variations with Thermal or Night Vision scopes already attached.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It´s horrible I felt like I was flying for the very first time. It was almost unpredictable. More like BF2 in my opinion but haven´t played it much. At the moment I try to avoid them strictly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I like the helicopters in Arma2

I can't friggen stand the VTOL F-22... it makes my brain bleed

AMD Phenom II 965 BE @ 3.8GHz, 8GB OCZ AMD BE RAM, ATI HD5970 2GB XFX BE @ 875/1215, TM HOTAS Cougar, TM Cougar MFDs, TrackIR 5, CH MFP, GoFlight Switch Panel, iMo Mini-Monster Touch, Mimo 720S, Saitek Pro Flight Headset

My humble apologies... i feel horrible for getting it wrong

Whatever it is, it sucks

AMD Phenom II 965 BE @ 3.8GHz, 8GB OCZ AMD BE RAM, ATI HD5970 2GB XFX BE @ 875/1215, TM HOTAS Cougar, TM Cougar MFDs, TrackIR 5, CH MFP, GoFlight Switch Panel, iMo Mini-Monster Touch, Mimo 720S, Saitek Pro Flight Headset

The hover functionality on the Harrier, F-35, and V-22 are downright horrible. I can understand the hover maneuverability of the F-35/AV-8B being terrible, but the V-22... it should be better than that. When in hover mode its like flying a walrus.

As for the rest of the choppers. They are fine. Its nothing to go crazy about. But for the most part they act like they should.

Agreed Grimes

The Helicopters are fun, the VTOL things are complete arse

Heli HOTAS controls are all over the place. Throttle only works from 50%-100% and there arent any joystick curves. i may try and make a Foxy profile instead. as it is, i cant control the helos at all, and i completed the DCS:BS campaign! :joystick:

The lack of proper weather sucks as even COD had dramatic thunderstorms, etc. but, I still really rate the game and constantly prod my colleagues to give it a try. Most people are tuned to Quake/ COD type games though and ARMA is too hard for them. ("wheres the healthpack and exploding barrels?")

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

I cant control the helos at all, and i completed the DCS:BS campaign!
exactly

I ´ve seen many free interpretations of a heli flight sim and this one really is just slow and lazy trying to simulate something but making all worse with that.

I´ts way easier to fly in Just Cause 2 with Keyboard then in Arma2 with Hotas or anything other analog.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't know how I did it, but all of the sudden I woke up one day and could pilot the ARMA heli's with extreme precision and accuracy. I only use keyboard and the mouse when I'm fine tuning my aiming on strafing runs. (Hotas is more pain than it's worth, not implemented properly although that would help).

It's definitely counter intuitive, it is very basic, just have to worry about a few keys and if used in the right order you can do no wrong hehe.

Vertical takeoff's as Grimes & Digital Steve have mentioned are horrible, but I never really fly those. Heli's and that's pretty much it for me.

Its the movement range i reckon. It only uses a few % of the whole controllers range. Upping the sensetivity just shunts the range up.

I will get the hang of it. At least it hasnt got the DCS:BS "Trimmer of death".......or any trimmer.....Actually, it needs a bloody trimmer! thats why i cant fly it!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

To be fair, i think the Arma series is an infantry simulator first... so the flight stuff should really be expected to be on par with something like DCS: Black Shark... a la study sim.

FWIW i found the helicopters dead easy to fly in Arma2 with just a Cougar Stick (no throttle attached) and just assigning the needed functions to buttons and hats on the stick. Worked fine for me.

Don't forget that it was designed for keyboard and mouse then a full Flight Sim HOTAS setup.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Heh, i know, and to be honest, once i get the hang of it, (as i did in ARMA1), it’s a blast.

You do kind of wonder though, if the top bods at BI and ED had lunch.......

Imagine a combined micro/macro battle simulator. High fidelity ground battle and integrated air operations.

If a military buyer was interested, (as seems to be the pre-requisite financial prerogative for both companies, and in the current economic situation, who can blame them?), then the eventual consumer potential would be absolutely awesome.

There, that’s me dreaming again. Back to helo 101

[i now know why I am crap. When I had ARMA1 I hadn’t even heard of DCS:BS. Now I am used to the shark, I am all over the place in the ARMA2 helo’s]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How much realism do we need?

If people want a massive dose of reality, they should join their defence force and get posted.

Got it. Some tweaking in game sliders, etc. It auto trims which is nice (and lazy of me).

The ULB / Helfire - Apache combo is worth the game price alone. Its super-cool

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No, in my opinion it really is a infantry simulator. That means it is often boring walking for miles or navigating through forests. It´s something special. YOu have to like it somehow. Its not expensive and absoloutely worth a try anyway.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OA Demo Available

Is this a really, really, realllly good game? I've been disappointed with games bought based on raved reviews once too many.

The demo is out now so give it a try! :)

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

The first DLC pack has been announced. The British are coming.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/64838

Its gonna be ten bucks and will feature a few new weapons and vehicles, plus a new campaign. All of the new vehicles will be in desert and woodland camo options, which means they can take part in Chenerous activities without looking completely out of place.

Also a note about the demo. Try it with a friend. The game is ok in single player but in co-op it really comes into its own.

No, in my opinion it really is a infantry simulator.

Instant want right there. :D And I often fly for hours in Black Shark enjoying the feeling of flight.

No need for demo then. :)

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P