ArmA2: Operation Arrowhead

Total

They don't have faulty sights per say, it just doesn't have the paralax effect, I don't know one shooter that has the effect implimented. You have a red dot sight, but you can't move your head horizontally and watch the red dot disappear inside the scope.

Sure they're not faulty, they just don't point where the barrel is pointing to :music_whistling:

Take a look at those old discussions on bistudio forums if you wish.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange i've never noticed that playing...probably because my game time is limited so when I do play I'm fairly light to judge things ;). I point at a target and shoot for the most part that target goes down. Maybe my aim is faulty so the two negatives make a positive ;)

Sure they're not faulty, they just don't point where the barrel is pointing to :music_whistling:

Take a look at those old discussions on bistudio forums if you wish.

Good note :) Many people still think it's just cosmetics while in fact it's the very essence of why collimated sights are used. It also shows how many of ArmA players have never held a weapon in their hands or at least they haven't learned how to aim and shoot properly :) It amazes me how this can be difficult to implement. X coordinate of the sight = X coordinate of the eye , both as projected on a plane perpendicular to the sight axis. There. No other calculations like I used to think a while ago. It's probably a 'coding difficulties', as it usually is (or as devs explain it).

Edited by Bucic

Perhaps a good majority of arma players play arma because they don't or haven't had the chance to fire a weapon. Especially military grade assault rifles with holographic sites. Arma is not reality, far from it, closer than COD.

How one fires a gun in arma will hardly translate to firing the same weapon in real life. Muscle memory and depth perception are hard to simulate on a computer...among other things.

Obviously it must be a coding or game engin issue otherwise I'm sure they'd fix it.

Edited by element1108

Perhaps a good majority of arma players play arma because they don't or haven't had the chance to fire a weapon. Especially military grade assault rifles with holographic sites. Arma is not reality, far from it, closer than COD.

How one fires a gun in arma will hardly translate to firing the same weapon in real life. Muscle memory and depth perception are hard to simulate on a computer...among other things.

Obviously it must be a coding or game engin issue otherwise I'm sure they'd fix it.

Sure but fundamentals are to be assured. Like vortex ring modelling in DCS Black Shark ;)

It doesn't change the fact that ArmA was the most immersive/realistic land combat shooter I've ever played. I could play one mission different ways for weeks or play one sneak mission for several hours pinned to the ground by a nearby patrol.

The other shooter on par with ArmA was, also developed by Czechs, Hidden&Dangerous 2 - a brilliant WW2 flick, very realistic!

iviewcapture_date_26_11_2004_time_2.jpg

Edited by Bucic

The other shooter on par with ArmA was, also developed by Czechs, Hidden&Dangerous 2 - a brilliant WW2 flick, very realistic!

Yes, very nice: the pic is I think from that mission where you first meet the resistance guy, which shows you the way to the nazi base, where you sneak inside. What a nice level, huge map!

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

I have played abit too much of it today. Operation Arrowhead is some good fun though. Lots of cool new toys to play with, a few make their return from ARMA 1. The addition of FLIR is downright amazing, although when its attached to a rifle it makes it look like a paintball gun, and it seriously blocks your vision. The missions and campaign seem abit flat. Single player campaign has always been alittle awkward in the ARMA series, at least in the story telling. I kinda liked the artwork filled cutscenes from ARMA1 and the personal involvement of ARMA2. The story of Operation Arrowhead is told from the eyes of 4 different people, a normal infantryman, a tank commander, a pilot, and a special forces guy. All of whom seem to be good friends, a fact that is lost and not really explained at all throughout the game. The one saving grace of the campaign is something I really really want to try, all of the campaign missions are co-ops. This could open up a great deal of replayability by just playing the same mission, but in a different role. Unless the feature gets unlocked upon beating the game... I'm quite sure you can't play the same mission in a different role in singleplayer.

The campaign isn't the greatest, but some of the standalone scenarios are pretty damn good. I really look forward to community created co-ops or campaigns that revolve around Special Operations and counter insurgency operations. The terrain, added weapons and vehicles, and other additions would make such scenarios perfect.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

I fired it up only briefly to have a look and my 5970 strained on it

Is it a new/updated graphics engine? Mine ran Arma2 fine!

AMD Phenom II 965 BE @ 3.8GHz, 8GB OCZ AMD BE RAM, ATI HD5970 2GB XFX BE @ 875/1215, TM HOTAS Cougar, TM Cougar MFDs, TrackIR 5, CH MFP, GoFlight Switch Panel, iMo Mini-Monster Touch, Mimo 720S, Saitek Pro Flight Headset

Are you guys playing the Steam / digital version? Amazon are bumbling about saying delivery next week for boxed copies!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

After few hours of playing in the editor I have to say I'm really surprised how the FLIR works. I was really expecting just basic simulation based on wether the engine is on. But it's pretty well simulated, engine, exhaust, tracks, guns..all based on what the unit is/was doing.

Is it a new/updated graphics engine?

They added SSAO on medium+ postprocess effects and that can eats chunks of graphic card performance.

• Like 1

Are you guys playing the Steam / digital version? Amazon are bumbling about saying delivery next week for boxed copies!

Yeah, on Steam here... always works out cheaper for me.

They added SSAO on medium+ postprocess effects and that can eats chunks of graphic card performance.

Thanks for that info mate

One thing that always frustrates me with Arma is the lack of graphic options. I'd like to be able to enable and disable things.

No worries though, i'm not stubborn enough to not turn down the settings to play!

AMD Phenom II 965 BE @ 3.8GHz, 8GB OCZ AMD BE RAM, ATI HD5970 2GB XFX BE @ 875/1215, TM HOTAS Cougar, TM Cougar MFDs, TrackIR 5, CH MFP, GoFlight Switch Panel, iMo Mini-Monster Touch, Mimo 720S, Saitek Pro Flight Headset

Boxed copy came from amazon. will install at lunchtine.

I think i will have to install ARMA2 first, patch, then OA.

Does this sound right? I dont want to have to do "the dance"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

its a standalone game. Install them in any order you want. But no harm in installing arma2 before OA.

I went online and did some good old TvT and warfare tonight. The Team vs Team scenario was quite interesting. It was essentially advance and secure, but was focused in a very small part of the map. Once that section was "taken" by a team the combat area changed to a near by location. I've never played ARMA online where the AI wasn't part of the equation, and it was quite interesting. The most rewarding part of that game was ambushing 3 enemies who were in a spec ops humvee. Simply getting to a hiding spot and camping can be a ton of fun.

Warfare was moreless the same. I played the altered version that was nearly identical to the common one found in Arma2 currently. I imagine the US Army would have an insane advantage through the common use of FLIR technology. I'm not even sure if the opfor forces even have FLIR available. It certainly wasn't available on the guns. The highlight of that match though was getting a chance to fly the L-39. Its armed with 38 or so S-5 rockets and the main cannon. But its smooth to fly, has decent agility and speed, and the rockets are great for strafing runs. I got quite a few kills out of that puppy. It also has pretty good off road capability. Our commander put our aircraft factor on one of the hills about a km from the southern airbase. I kinda secretly wished the enemy had some sniper watching that base, wondering why the hell is a jet rolling down a mountain scaring the sheep.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Good note :) Many people still think it's just cosmetics while in fact it's the very essence of why collimated sights are used. It also shows how many of ArmA players have never held a weapon in their hands or at least they haven't learned how to aim and shoot properly :) It amazes me how this can be difficult to implement. X coordinate of the sight = X coordinate of the eye , both as projected on a plane perpendicular to the sight axis. There. No other calculations like I used to think a while ago. It's probably a 'coding difficulties', as it usually is (or as devs explain it).

The reason I see is simpler: in RL you have two parts of the gun moving: the rear sight and the front sight. Having a holo/collimated sight simplifies this part. However in game you have only one mouse, so you move the gun as a whole. Your virtual soldier is responsible for doing the proper alignment. Also our monitors are plain surfaces.

Edited by SFJackBauer

The reason I see is simpler: in RL you have two parts of the gun moving: the rear sight and the front sight. Having a holo/collimated sight simplifies this part. However in game you have only one mouse, so you move the gun as a whole. Your virtual soldier is responsible for doing the proper alignment. Also our monitors are plain surfaces.

It's a different case here.

...in A2 the rifle isn't strictly locked to the eyes when aiming. There's an ever so slight wobble, the sights get slightly misaligned, enough to cause an offset of several meters at distance.

The problem was discussed in this thread, for example.

...I went online and did some good old TvT and warfare tonight. The Team vs Team scenario was quite interesting. It was essentially advance and secure, but was focused in a very small part of the map. Once that section was "taken" by a team the combat area changed to a near by location. I've never played ARMA online where the AI wasn't part of the equation, and it was quite interesting. ...

I stopped playing ARMA because I hate fighting the AI. That PvP mode sounds like BFBC2. Now I'll have to buy Arrow Head to try that mode out. Sounds good.

Started faffing with the ME. I had an idea in my head..."...a freezing, rain lashed stormy night. The exhausted spec ops team sruggled against the biting wind as they ascended the slope to the enemy held outpost. Only their training and their desire to complete their mission kept them going."

I managed some slight drizzle and a breeze with all the weather sliders maxed out.

Not exactly "where eagles dare". more "where budgies snooze"

Still, the ME has some benefits over the FC ME.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]