MIG29/SU27/SU33 HUD IAS or TAS in Search

The basic HUD in both the MIG29, SU27 and SU33 shows IAS/CAS in the Airspeed field top left corner. However when you switch to either a radar or EOS search mode it changes to TAS.

Is this correct ? I dont think it is.

In reading various translated Russian Flight manuals and Tactical type manuals (and the Russian source docs) I cannot see reference to this change. These documents show many HUD displays in differrent modes all show (to the best of my knowledge IAS/CAS)

Kind of doesn't make much sense. IAS in combat modes is the relevant one, TAS is only useful really in the Nav mode. But if that's what the manual says...

3Sqn - Largest distributor of Flanker, Fulcrum and Frogfoot parts in the Black Sea Region

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPsL6hH1KIA

The video starts in Nav mode with 550km/h indicated. Shortly later the BVR mode is selected with airspeed at 495km/h and 1900m. It COULD be TAS, but if it was, they are starting the fight at probably low 400's IAS...pretty damn slow. Anyway, only conjecture.

3Sqn - Largest distributor of Flanker, Fulcrum and Frogfoot parts in the Black Sea Region

Show TAS speed is need to know the target speed. for example:

You are flying at SL while locking a target in a higher flight level that you are pursuing.

You are flying at 500IAS and him at 470. are you catching him? Maybe not, he could have a greater TAS because he is flying higher even with lower IAS. That is why in BVR modes your TAS and target TAS are displayed on HUD. Of course in visual combat modes IAS is displayed.

Ok, But why not to show target IAS refered to your flight level instead to target flight level? Because you maybe have a wingmen flying in another flight level and he needs the target speed. If you telling him the target IAS refered to your FL or target FL could have no sense. That is why you need true speed

• Like 1

Ing. Tec. Aeronautico

The video linked by Sven shows IAS there is no TAS "N" suffix to the digits initially. When he gets a lock at 2:04 into the video, The speed changes to TAS this shows as 845N (or a cryllic reverse N). When he breaks/looses lock at 2:41 it changes back to IAS. In FC2 we get TAS with N as soon as you go into a Search mode. It stays in TAS with STT. However in NAV,AG modes or any CAC it stays in IAS.

So if the video is a source we should only get TAS in STT on both the MIG29 and SU27/33

I have looked through a Russian SU27K manual from start to finish. All HUD presentations in this manual show IAS/CAS.

Edited by IvanK

Show TAS speed is need to know the target speed. for example:

You are flying at SL while locking a target in a higher flight level that you are pursuing.

You are flying at 500IAS and him at 470. are you catching him? Maybe not, he could have a greater TAS because he is flying higher even with lower IAS. That is why in BVR modes your TAS and target TAS are displayed on HUD. Of course in visual combat modes IAS is displayed.

Ok, But why not to show target IAS refered to your flight level instead to target flight level? Because you maybe have a wingmen flying in another flight level and he needs the target speed. If you telling him the target IAS refered to your FL or target FL could have no sense. That is why you need true speed

If IAS is shown in CAC and Helmut then that makes sense.

Yeah, only Beyond Visual Range mode gives TAS (excluding STT), which makes sense, cause I don't need my CAS/IAS in close combat. As for STT? does it show TAS when locked from BVR mode and IAS/CAS when locked from any other mode ? (the STT already wasn't consistent, anyway, since it gave target speed only when locked from BVR modes (radar or EOS))

The video linked by Sven shows IAS there is no TAS "N" suffix to the digits initially. When he gets a lock at 2:04 into the video, The speed changes to TAS this shows as 845N (or a cryllic reverse N). When he breaks/looses lock at 2:41 it changes back to IAS. In FC2 we get TAS with N as soon as you go into a Search mode. It stays in TAS with STT. However in NAV,AG modes or any CAC it stays in IAS.

So if the video is a source we should only get TAS in STT on both the MIG29 and SU27/33

I have looked through a Russian SU27K manual from start to finish. All HUD presentations in this manual show IAS/CAS.

Good point! I have missed this... perhaps something to PM the devs, or put up in their "Fix" list?

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

The devs are aware. The implementation is by design and not currently planned to change.

Just to confirm it's been deliberately implemented slightly incorrectly?

• 1 month later...
These videos initially posted by MSVGAS clearly illustrate that IAS is ALWAYS displayed in the Mig 29 HUD even in search:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P266...eature=related

I'm sure the devs are aware of that ;) But as I understand it, the Su-27 and MiG-29 share the same avionics, so they had to make a choice as to the airplane whose avionics is "accurately" implemented

Same thing goes for the MFD

"I'm sure the devs are aware of that ;) But as I understand it, the Su-27 and MiG-29 share the same avionics, so they had to make a choice as to the airplane whose avionics is "accurately" implemented"

Yes as has been said ... alas the In game Mig29 HUD is different to the SU27 HUD in terms of Pitch representation so differences exist already. The SU27 references also indicate TAS is not shown as a general rule until STT is achieved.

Edited by IvanK