Difficulty of spotting targets: Real life vs. Simulator

kingneptune117

Hey guys,

I find it really hard to spot targets in DCS: A-10C Warthog unless they are within like 2nm. I feel this is because it is of course a simulator, and cannot display as high of resolution as real life can. Would I be correct in saying that you can spot tanks further away in real life than you can in DCS?

But on the other hand, in real life there is stuff like grass, brush, trees, dust, etc...

So what do you guys think?

• Like 1

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Intel i7-4790k | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo heat sink | Thermaltake Core V71 case | 750W EVGA PSU | 8gb G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150 motherboard | Samsung SSD | ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | TIR 5 | Razer Deathadder | Corsair K70

I changed the labels.lua file to just display a small dot for all the ground targets and got rid of all of the naming convention, etc. You still know where they are but without all of the extra info.

Good idea! I did that too. In case anyone is interested:

GroundFormat = {}

GroundFormat[5000] = "`"

GroundFormat[10000] = "`"

GroundFormat[20000] = "`"

I've also did that for weapon format.

Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X | i5 10600K@4700 | 32 Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G |

MONITOR IIYAMA 24,5" LED LCD @ 1920 x 1080 | Windows 11

| Saitek X-55 Rhino | TrackIR 5 Pro

It's both ways. Normal visual acuity means you are able to see better in real life than on any monitor. Maximum zoom is getting close on my 1920 screen I think, but then your FOV is severely limited instead.

OTOH, in real life, if something is hidden in a forest or on a forest road, you have to be real lucky to find it, as in fly right over it and happen to look down just as it is visible. That's where the IR optics come in handy.

One thing is lacking in DCS though - dust trails. I fly fire watch missions in real life, and while you can generally tell by the colour of the smoke it is hard to be certain, so I've checked out countless off-road bikes, cars etc. That combine harvesters and plows leave a pretty significant visual mark goes without saying... :)

Obviously this is when the terrain is dry. When it is not, tracked vehicles leave pretty visible track marks though. You'd be able to follow the activity on the ground by looking at the tracks made.

i like the dust and track trails ..that would help a great deal with out spoiling the game play to much ..can it be done ..lol..

ill ask my F18 and A6 drivers friends , IF its easy to spot targets ..in the real deal

HAF TOWER / MSI z77 G43 /-i5-3570k.@ 3.4mhz / GTX 780 / Patriot 8GB. DDR3 / TM-HOTAS-warthog 00228

Hmmm... is this configurable somehow, as I have not seen them?

In real life, in dry weather, a vehicle moving on a gravel road will have a 500-foot plume lingering overhead for a long time. Much less if out in vegetation, of course.

I changed the labels.lua file to just display a small dot for all the ground targets and got rid of all of the naming convention, etc. You still know where they are but without all of the extra info.

Is there a way to give all the dots the same color so you cant tell if they're friend or foe?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hmmm... is this configurable somehow, as I have not seen them?

I don't know. Might be related to graphic quality settings.

Edit: I've tried changing everything to low but still get the dust trails.

Attached are some screenshots (altitude in the info bar is in meters). As I said, they're not huge, but they're fairly easy to see, especially when they're moving. Even in the static screenshot it's easy to pick up the tank, but I bet you can't see the Shilkas..!

The last image is probably very hard to see the dust in a screenshot, but I could see it fairly well in-game. It was flickering a bit though, it's right at the edge of how far it wants to draw it. Don't know if I'd see if it I wasn't looking for it, but if it was a whole column I think it'd stand out.

ScreenShot_018.thumb.jpg.af9d1222ec6c17b4c8941bea10792d46.jpg

ScreenShot_019.thumb.jpg.1f23c7148260dec96df8078d6dcf32bc.jpg

ScreenShot_020.thumb.jpg.a02033635b30ad709cba821d8143799a.jpg

ScreenShot_021.thumb.jpg.e3a38b5721b6d8a0c7e16f18e5eb61d3.jpg

ScreenShot_022.thumb.jpg.9e559c902e14ccbd4c022bb40e977399.jpg

ScreenShot_023.thumb.jpg.cfc1bd185eb2bcc22f346a8e81464553.jpg

ScreenShot_024.thumb.jpg.db306cc2bc5780ea24fe2f515100c73b.jpg

Edited by nomdeplume

Is there a way to give all the dots the same color so you cant tell if they're friend or foe?

Yes on the bottom of the lua file

ColorAliesSide = {255, 0, 0}

ColorEnemiesSide = {0, 0, 255}

to:

ColorAliesSide = {255, 0, 0}

ColorEnemiesSide = {255, 0, 0}

all red (havent tested this but it should work).

E8400 @3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR2 800, XFX HD6850 black edition, Lanparty DK P35, Win 7 64bit, CH pro throttle, CH fighter stick, Saitek pro flight rudder pedals, Track IR 4 Pro w/ track clip.

Wrong actually - at least when the vehicle is not moving and parked where it's camo matches....under those circumstances, it might be under 1nm before you detect it in RL.

If you already know where to look, you might be able to spot it from farther out, but in general, a non-moving vehicle sitting around with the correct camo is your basic reason for having an IIR camera on the TGP.

Hey guys,

I find it really hard to spot targets in DCS: A-10C Warthog unless they are within like 2nm. I feel this is because it is of course a simulator, and cannot display as high of resolution as real life can. Would I be correct in saying that you can spot tanks further away in real life than you can in DCS?

But on the other hand, in real life there is stuff like grass, brush, trees, dust, etc...

So what do you guys think?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

If you already know where to look, you might be able to spot it from farther out, but in general, a non-moving vehicle sitting around with the correct camo is your basic reason for having an IIR camera on the TGP.

yes, spotting targer irl is hard, but there are obstructions here caused by the sim/hw limitation.

Pixel size, limited color range, basic light refraction, no lods irl, limited world complexity, the way human eye reacts on moving objects, limited comunication (air defence targe 1 o'clock, and that's it), no secondary marking (tracks in mud, according to a10 over kosovo clearly vissible from up-high)

You don't have to be military pilot to notice that targets on roads are much more clealy vissible irl than in sim. And according to A10 over kosovo, spoting target on roads isn't that hard.

edit: the second part of the problem is general mission design. You can come back with full stores if you don't spot anything irl. Where in sim you are stuck on the same mission until you destroy everything the mission designer though should be destroyed.

Edited by winz

Next time you folks fly commercial, on final approach, try spotting cars and people, the former being a lot easier. To make it a little more difficult make sure you are not just identifying a "car" but instead make and model. People, for me, are very difficult to spot unless they arevery close.

Whenever I play the spotting "game" irl I'm reminded how easy it is to spot targets in the DCS universe. Mind you I'm using a 42" LCD TV...

System specifications: Computer, joystick, DCS world, Beer

Use JTAC and Mission planner accordingly. IRL if you are sent up to kill a factory you would be given exact coords for said factory. Also if you were sent up on a CAS you would have contact with JTAC so they will vector you in. Also if you know the general area of the TGT you can start the TGP out wider and zoom in until you can get a good visual.

I actually dont think its that hard to spot in DCS. I thought it was going to be but I said screw it a will leave labels off and I havent had an issue yet. Like GG said use the BHOT/WHOT modes of the TGP and stuff just stands out!

In a (very) recent use of military by NATO countries, more then 20 000 sorties were flown and 17 confirmed mobile targets (tanks, APC, etc...) were destroyed. The other side exercised very high discipline in masking positions and vehicles and used many, many decoys (electric heaters in junk yard cars, microwave ovens, models made of playwood, junk yard cars with pipes through winshild and etc ...) to full the attackers.

Not all 20 000 sorties were SEAD, but in real life, it is very difficult to spot mobile military ground targets.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Real time technique to finding targets is altering from BLACK HOT to WHITE HOT. This method allows you to better make out shapes in this game, especially soft skin and armored vehicles. In real time this is helpful for humans in tree lines or against the back drop of hot objects.

My CAS (Close air support) JTAC Channel:  RIFLE - YouTube  

RIFLE's Discord:  https://discord.gg/cmDCrr4Z2g  

Publications

JTAC Bible (see/know chapter #5) https://fas.org/irp/doddir/dod/jp3_09_3.pdf

J-FIRE pocket guide (Don't do battle without it!)  BK2 (fas.org)

what .lua i need to configure for see the ground targets from more distance ?

Might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that's hard-coded to prevent exploits.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Try changing labels.lua,

e.g. when there is:

GroundFormat = {}

GroundFormat[5000] = "`"

Change to

GroundFormat = {}

GroundFormat[40000] = "`"

This doubling the distance of the ground objects to be seen - that is, to be labeled. The distance in the TGP seems to be limited to 20 miles - with luck, normally less.

this is for the labels ? i play without labels

i want to change the distance for see "the black dot" for example for a tank on the middle of field.

hard-coded to prevent exploits.

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]