Dynamic Weather Overview

Yo-Yo

So I was curious about the underlying workings of dynamic weather/ static weather in DCS. I was considering trying to make a mod for real world weather in DCS. I have some experience with scripting, and have a lot of friends who are software devs that could help me out. Of course this is likely a very big task, but I was wondering if anyone could answer a few initial questions about the feasibility of such a mod:

1. What kind of control could you get over dynamic or static weather conditions through config files and/or lua scripts?

2. Specifically, is is possible to change weather during gameplay, or can weather only be modified before the map loads?

3. Is it possible to have static weather that is different in various zones of the map?

4. Is it possible to get more control over where specific weather areas are using dynamic weather? Could you specify coordinates for each baric system you create?

5. Is ED considering radically changing/updating the weather design in the game anytime soon?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious to know if there has been any discussion on upgrading the cloud system. As of right now, it seems like there are only a few types of clouds. (Don't get me wrong, the clouds are pretty good as they are, but they can be still vastly improved.)

What would it take to model a big cumulonimbus cloud? lol As of right now, thunderstorms are being developed in what look like thick nimbostratus (which could create rain, but I don't know about a thunderstorm), or, stratus or alto stratus clouds (which do not a thunderstorm make).

I know it must be difficult, but there is a lot of talk about ground textures, etc. and little talk about improving the cloud system, which imo, is also very important in making the sim look as real as possible.

Also, are the current clouds static? I was flying a dynamic weather test and it seems as though the clouds don't actually move...

Edited by Newt

Live every week like it's Shark Week. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

While I'll reserve most praise for when I actually see it in action, I will admit that it is a good next move. Any idea as to how it's done? A skybox trick? I've never taken the hog up that high to know if the cirrus cloud actually modeled or not.

One of these days there will be another big leap in this area for flight sims (the latest being DCS's dynamic weather system imo). I hope that ED is the team that makes it happen :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

because of this problem:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1327615#post1327615

I need to switch to the dynamic weather system.

Please can anybody tell me how to create a Thunderstorm (Lightnings and Rain) with this dynamic weather system?

I don't know for sure as I have not really played too heavily with the system. But my guess is to try to mimic the causes of a real life thunderstorm. Take warm temperatures and throw in two strong pressure systems? Attempting to make a cold front bash into a warm front?

We can't adjust moisture as far as I know (but it has been a long time since I've used the dynamic weather system) and I don't know if it models the evaporation off the sea... But you could try to make the high pressure system over the water and the low over land and given high temperature I think that would make the air full of moisture move towards land and the low pressure system and then it would be pushed up into the atmosphere creating lots of clouds and hopefully a storm (provided the weather system takes evaporation into account.) I might also have this backwards lol.

If that doesn't work, I would say make it summer and hot if you can, then throw in some pressure systems with great differences in pressure levels and work your way up in strength and number of pressure systems?

If I had my pc setup I would try and figure it out for you, but I just moved and have yet to get a desk for my computer to be on.

If you figure it out, let me know.

Oh, keep in mind that the dynamic weather system as of now cannot create overcast in one spot and clear in another. It's either overcast or mostly cloudy for now. I'm not sure what that means for thunderstorms.

Edited by Newt

If you really want something specific, here's what I would do...

Set up 2 systems.

Hit the randomise button untill you get a couple of systems reasonably close. Try setting experimenting with the map temperature & pressure differentials between the fronts (try something that would generate a storm IRL - look up values on an isobaric map on the internet.).

Run the mission & move around the map till you find the conditions you like.

Note where that point is, and the positions of the systems, and where (& how) you would have to translate them to get the bit of weather you want where you want it.

Open the mission file & change the co-ordinates of the system so that the pattern sits where you want it on the map.

The co-ordinate system isn't too hard to figure out (it's something like meters N or S, + W or E of a point up in the top left corner of the map. Can't remember right now whether N & E are positive or negative, but it's obvious from the files)

Cheers.

If you really want something specific, here's what I would do...

Set up 2 systems.

Hit the randomise button untill you get a couple of systems reasonably close. Try setting experimenting with the map temperature & pressure differentials between the fronts (try something that would generate a storm IRL - look up values on an isobaric map on the internet.).

Run the mission & move around the map till you find the conditions you like.

Note where that point is, and the positions of the systems, and where (& how) you would have to translate them to get the bit of weather you want where you want it.

Open the mission file & change the co-ordinates of the system so that the pattern sits where you want it on the map.

The co-ordinate system isn't too hard to figure out (it's something like meters N or S, + W or E of a point up in the top left corner of the map. Can't remember right now whether N & E are positive or negative, but it's obvious from the files)

A piece of cake.

Seriously, I hope in future patches dynamic weather allows more customization inside ME. It's quite impressive but underused because it's really hard to get the weather conditions you want, where you want.

Regards!

It's quite impressive but underused because it's really hard to get the weather conditions you want, where you want.

And the missing oportunity to get weather reports from certain spots to create a briefing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

• 3 weeks later...

It's in meters. Set to 0,0 to see where the map 0 is.

Pressure spread is really just the radius of the area affected by this cyclone (or diameter, I forget).

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

wow can we create cloud formation like this ..

another video showing moisture hitting canopy glass going through clouds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV5ghDqse1g&feature=related

Have you noticed the turbulences when the aircrafts are going through the clouds? Do you think it's feasible to implement that in DCS engine?

(Does an aircraft like A-10 or a fast mover can be affected by those turbulences?) => Just noticed how the flights in DCS A-10C feel 'slick' or 'smooth' (higher than 100ft.) and I wonder if it's due to the aircraft's characteristics or a difficulty to code those behavior in the sim. (turbulences, buffetings,...)

Edited by Cedaway
grammar

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is it possible to generate thunderstorms/Cumulnimbus (anvil-shaped clouds) and fog with the current dynamic weather engine?

Regards

Sadly, I do not think so. I have been talking about more cloud variety for a while. But, we did get dynamic cirrus clouds recently. So, they are making an effort, but I think that perhaps their current engine can't produce effects such as cumulonimbus clouds. Only cirrus, cumulus and stratus clouds afaik.

I long for the day that we have dynamic weather that can move, change and produce new clouds. To start a mission near some cumulus congestus and then by the end of the mission it has become a full blown cumulonimbus and a localized thunderstorm.

Edited by Newt

• 6 months later...

Love those isolated light rain showers encountered sometimes when flying down a valley. I've been on a mission where I started at one end on the main central E-W valley within the mountains, in clear sunlight and a few fluffies, and by the time I got to the other end the clouds was low and blowing along the walls, then suddenly I was flying through intermittent showers. By the time I got to the target it was raining, with dark cloud banks. Frames took a hit was the only down-side.

But the thing I noticed is a bit weakly represented in the clouds mix, is that stratus layering and lensing is usually much more prominent and overprinting from ~1,000 feet mark and up to ~6,000 feet or so, when close to a distinct spiral low pressure centre.

And the thing is, if the stratus were behaving that way ... more likely to form in low pressure troughs, then you'd get an effective overcast forming over a larger area, around these main cloud banks, and along the closer isobars.

What do you think?

• 1 month later...
wow can we create cloud formation like this ..

Have you seen the turbulence the aircraft had while going through the cloud at 00:28? Is it possible to simulate turbulences and low altitude 'buffeting'?

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

• 2 months later...

I had some success today with scripting inside the mission file to randomize the dynamic weather. This required changing a single line of code in each of two script files that come with DCS World, to open up access to the math.random() function in the environment where the mission script file runs.

Anyway, one problem I ended up with is weather that is a bit too severe. For example, the test flight I just did ended up with me landing into a 135-knot headwind!

The question, then, is how to set the various parameters MadTommy listed above to avoid creating such extreme winds. Is it a matter of too much pressure excess? Too much rotation? Weather systems too close together?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yo-Yo, could you explain how the altitude winds are implemented in DCS in the standard weather mode now that LASTE is implemented?

I'm a nugget. My conception is, at 0 ft , 6000 ft and 26,000 ft, the winds occur, and in between they don't.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 3 months later...

I had to dial the wind down into the 3rd decimal place so that it was not severe. Using integer values for wind in the dynamic weather file was too much to deal with for flying the A-10 and dropping ordnance, and getting landing authorization.

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

• 3 months later...