Nose gear broke off on take-off roll!

Ptroinks

Do A-10s have extremely fragile nose gears? I was taking off from Beslan (Smerch Hunt mission), and just as I was pulling back on the stick to take off, there was a loud bang, and the nose pitched up violently.

The screenshots show my A-10 just before my nose gear "exploded", the instant it happened, and then how much it made the aircraft pitch up. Is this some kind of bug?

1687099236_dcs2011-03-1806-01-06-30.thumb.jpg.14ef3e5f22cf3bcbbeaa4cc1f589b12c.jpg

239053467_dcs2011-03-1806-01-25-90.thumb.jpg.932367b4591e1080520c5abf9f4c3781.jpg

1443929262_dcs2011-03-1806-01-56-59.thumb.jpg.22413aa60f4d6b9f98b59a06c68d32e3.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What was your airspeed? Also did you disable NWS at 50kts?

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Don't know why NWS would have anything to do with it.

It's SOP to disengage it at around 70 knots to prevent over steering/accidentally breaking it. I've heard people report they were unable to retract the nose gear due to disengaging it too late.

The screenshots in this thread looks like he's having no problem at all lifting the nose, too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How To Fix Your X-52's Rudder!

I can confirm that this happened to me as well once, and I'm certain I had disengaged the NWS. I did pull back on the stick more gently than usual on that occasion to releave the nose gear of stress. But apparantly the end result was quite different.

I'll see if I can replicate it tonight when I'm home.

Edited by Mud
typo
Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

Shoot, haven't seen that since Nellis in the Beta's.

I'm sure it is hard to pin this one down, as some seemingly invisible entity at certain

airfields seem to cause it.

NWS was proffered early on as a possible cause, but never seemed to pan.

Some airfields just seem to have `hawg gear eatin' poltergeists...

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A tale of 2 hogs

I can confirm this also happened to me. Wonder if it's related to the "I'm stuck on the grass that has super-glue qualities" that I get if I stray off the tarmac at an airport during an Emergency Landing, which is annoying as once I'm repaired, I can't taxi back onto the tarmac to continue a mission.

I remember my takeoff was also from Beslan when it happened.

Seems I'll be off ghostbusting and take-off improving tonight.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

Hmm... Could it be that the grass already has some small friction bug in it, and if the nose wheel on the A-10 suddenly "dips" below the runway textures and "touches" the grass below (My guess is that runway\taxiway textures are placed on top of grass), the sudden friction will tear the nose gear clean off. I mean, it wouldn't even take "super glue grass" to do that. The runway and the grass have different friction values assigned to them in some way (the grass obviously having a higher value), and when the nose wheel comes down a runway doing 100+ kts and suddenly hits grass, the outcome is obvious. If my explanation is correct, that is :).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

^^ If that's it, then my suggestion would be to plug in a check into the code to see if there is tarmac at (or near) the wheel coords and set the grass friction equal to runway friction temporarily. This might be easier than preventing the wheel to sink thru the tarmac slightly.

We have similar problems with a dynamical (spring/damper) simulation of a helicopter undercarriage at the DLR.

It isn't that easy to enforce hard boundaries in a numerical simulation with a system of ODEs.

Edited by PhoenixBvo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

• 2 weeks later...

Just happened to me taking off from Beslan in a free flight mission. NWS disengaged at 70kts, doing about 100 kts and bang, there goes the nose gear.

Windows 10 | i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | MSI GTX 970 4GB | 8GB RAM | ASRock P67 Extreme4 | Seasonic X-Series 650W PSU | Oculus Rift DK2 | CH Fighterstick, Throttle & Pedals

Shoot, haven't seen that since Nellis in the Beta's.

I'm sure it is hard to pin this one down, as some seemingly invisible entity at certain

airfields seem to cause it.

NWS was proffered early on as a possible cause, but never seemed to pan.

Some airfields just seem to have `hawg gear eatin' poltergeists...

Unlike the posts I have seen with it happening on takeoff, it happened to me last night on landing. I've attached a .trk file showing it happening...unfortunately you will have to fast forward through a lot of stuff to get to me landing though... I replayed the .trk file this morning and it still exploded when I touched down.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I've set up a training mission out of Minvody and I can replicate this 4 out of 5 times taking off from rwy 30. If I hold short of 30 I get stuck at the holding point. To overcome this I need to input a huge whack of throttle but this invariably ends in my nose gear failing on takeoff. Even if I get clearance on the roll and enter the runway without stopping it often happens. Thought I was doing something idiotic.

Edit:

+- 30% fuel and zero ordinance so loudout is not the problem.

NWS disengaged as per the manual.

I'll try get a track of it.

Edited by Col.Flanders

• 2 weeks later...

I was told that there is no actual manual for telling you when to disengage NWS, and that you should just do it at your own discretion.

That said, another thing that might cause it is apparently over stressing the nose wheel, for example, taxing around corners at higher than you should speeds.

However the most prominent problem occurs on the runways, that are apparently bugged and fixed for the upcoming patch, where there seem to be invisible bumps that damage the aircraft.

They feel like speed bumps, lol, but most of the ones I encountered are not on the runway but the taxiway just before getting on the runway.

...They feel like speed bumps, lol, but most of the ones I encountered are not on the runway but the taxiway just before getting on the runway.

I've noticed the same. It does my head in because I'm aware of the problem so I try to take it easy but it still happens sometimes.

By the way, ralfi, love your youtube vids! I've been using your trust in your wingman to "sell" the sim to friends.:thumbup:

• Like 1