New Toss Bombing Video

Mule

Loving the shadows and reflectons, thanks for the taster

On a side note why is his cockpit mouse pointer the default windows arrow rather than the yellow cross currently seen in game....windowed mode or something?

My guess would be it's related to fraps or whatever he's using to record the screen.

DCS Wiki! :book:

My guess would be it's related to fraps or whatever he's using to record the screen.

I think I read that in next patch when the mouse goes idle the mouse Icon disapears. The winblows mouse icon I do not know about.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Your mileage may vary, but I have had no decrease in frame rate due to the cockpit shadows.

That's great news! :thumbup:

Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X | i5 10600K@4700 | 32 Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G |

MONITOR IIYAMA 24,5" LED LCD @ 1920 x 1080 | Windows 11

| Saitek X-55 Rhino | TrackIR 5 Pro

Has the HSI changed as well? I don't recall seeing the series of white blocks, which are course deviation marks I suppose.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Intel i7-8700K @4.9Ghz | 32Gb memory DDR4 | Evga GTX 1080ti | Saitek Eclipse keyboard |

Logitech Mx518 | CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle/Pedales | TIr5 | Win10 x64

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I've tried this with Mk82s and noticed that they go long every single time, regardless of my exact method. The things I've tried are:

1. T-12 sec 2g pullup until bomb release

2. T-15 sec 2g pullup until T-5 sec, then stabilize at 1g until bomb release

3. T-17 or earlier 3g pullup to high angle, but the A-10 cannot effectively do this and airspeed bleeds faster than the T minus comes down! Eventually, at 45 deg and a near stall, bomb releases

No matter what, the bomb(s) misses by say 30m in a test mission I made with no wind (I'm not good at judging the distance however). My best results have been with rpl prs 6 (two racks of 3 each) aimed ~30m short and using an attack method like #1 or #2.

I've tried this with Mk82s and noticed that they go long every single time, regardless of my exact method. The things I've tried are:

1. T-12 sec 2g pullup until bomb release

2. T-15 sec 2g pullup until T-5 sec, then stabilize at 1g until bomb release

3. T-17 or earlier 3g pullup to high angle, but the A-10 cannot effectively do this and airspeed bleeds faster than the T minus comes down! Eventually, at 45 deg and a near stall, bomb releases

No matter what, the bomb(s) misses by say 30m in a test mission I made with no wind (I'm not good at judging the distance however). My best results have been with rpl prs 6 (two racks of 3 each) aimed ~30m short and using an attack method like #1 or #2.

Ditto here. I just tried this with a simple mission that I made. Tried MK-82s, Training bombs and CBU-97s and they all tossed long. For me they were long around 200m+. I was rippling pairs.

I had a set of targets at the center of the training X and a set of targets at the end of the X. Lets just say with the CBU-97s with my TGP at the center of the X, I ended up taking out all three targets I had at the end of the X (although the main part of the CBU grouping landed short of those targets).

Maybe they have tweaked the release with the new patch (hope so if the above is true with the unpatched version).

Ditto here. I just tried this with a simple mission that I made. Tried MK-82s, Training bombs and CBU-97s and they all tossed long. For me they were long around 200m+. I was rippling pairs.

I had a set of targets at the center of the training X and a set of targets at the end of the X. Lets just say with the CBU-97s with my TGP at the center of the X, I ended up taking out all three targets I had at the end of the X (although the main part of the CBU grouping landed short of those targets).

Maybe they have tweaked the release with the new patch (hope so if the above is true with the unpatched version).

I've gotten CBU-87s and CBU-97s on target reliably with toss bombing. I locate the target with the TGP, set the TGP to point mode on the central most target, lase the target for range, set it as SPI, and toss bomb. Works great.

I have to admit I haven't tried iron bombs yet.

• ED Team

As I stated in the video text notes:

"A little example of using CCRP mode to toss CBU-87 onto to a target. While not very accurate, it can be a good way to get bombs on target without having to fly over the target. Best used for area weapons like cluster bombs."

Because they're not accurate?

Because there are errors introduced into the targeting system when you're varying a lot of parameters?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I tried some more after my post above and it seems with me at least that I was releasing the bombs at a higher nose up attitude than Wags did in his video. Have a feeling that the higher nose up the less accurate (bombs fly longer). Just tried a couple more times trying to keep the release ~10 degrees nose up and they were a bit more accurate.

Yes. We need it for those who manage to not understand this 'new information'. ;)

2+2=4? Does everybody at ED have this ability to state new information?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Does anyone know if the targeting computer takes the centrifugal force of the pull into consideration ? If it doesn't, it might be the reason of the bombs hitting behind the target.

Try making a short pull and then stabelize the aircraft so that the bombs are released while you are climbing but not pulling Gs.

Does anyone know if the targeting computer takes the centrifugal force of the pull into consideration ?

There is no centrifugal force. Don't think with non-inertial reference systems.

The moment the bomb is released, it continues on a ballistic path. You cannot throw curve bombs.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

IIRC, the A-10's targeting computer is very basic, at least when you compare it to the F-16 computer which can do lots more computations. Still, no matter how advanced the computer, releasing a bomb while pulling G's or in any situation wherein the aircraft isn't "stable," there is a greater chance of a miss when compared to releasing from a stable platform.

Note that stable does not mean wings level. You can be in a stable climb or dive... the important thing is to keep your angle constant and keep your speed as steady as possible. Save the yank'n'bank for after the bombs go off.

And no, the CBU isn't more "accurate," it just has a wider blast radius, if that makes any sense, due to the bomblet dispersal.

• Like 1

- Ice

I agree with Ice. CBU's will hit something,because the bomblets footprint spread allows it.

Unguided bombs, is hit or miss (very difficult).

I wonder if it is feasible with LGB tough. Another one to test list.

This is an amazing sim! 'Nuff said!:pilotfly:

YouTube: SloppyDog