Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

Whats your WOW moment?

Long time ED flyer here, really enjoying this game and I love to hear others "wow" Moments. Mine was just my past flight here..

Georgian hammer campaign about mission 8 or so, take off an early evening flight, set up all my systems and head out to my IP way point, towing 2 JDAMS and 4 AGMs.. Trim up a LOT to compensate for load differential and the torque, and trim into a 15 degree climb over the mountains. a PERFECT blazing sun is just starting to set along the mountain ridge from my direction (man that thing looks good in this sim!) and I'm flying right into it, actually squinting as if I were outside. Well I execute My Jdam from about 18000 feet (instantly have my left wing drop sharply as my load is displaced... re-trim) and crack a wry smile as I watch the bridge explode on my TGP's Monitor. I send a call into the JTAC from way up here in the air and get my co-ords entered on the fly, find my new waypoint on the TAD and get lucky finding a Shilka first, set up another high level pass and boom goes the dynamite on that bad boy(another awesome wing drop and re-trim), JTAC authorizes re-attack (first time!) and I drop down to a tight orbit at 7000 feet, systematically marking, and killing with AGMs the 3 Tanks, and one poor BDRM.. JTAC calls in and says "no More targets, thanks for the help" (another first).. I hit the shoreline and blast back to Batumi just over 500 feet as dusk settles in... I swear I could here that Top Gun music as I flared on touchdown.

All those little touches make for an amazing experience... Thanks ED and all who helped for giving me a way to waste a few more years :thumbup:

Whats Your Wow moment?

Home-Built Rig - | ASUS TUF Z390-Plus| i9 9900k | 2080ti | 32g G.SKILL TridentZ |Samsung 970 evos | Tagan 1100w PS | Warthog Hotas | Track ir 5 | Saitek Pedals | PFT Collective

Ou, there's been many of those.

One was when GG blew off half my wing and I had to struggle my way back home with half an aerofoil. It behaved as I would expact a straight-wing to behave in that circumstance and definitely left me in awe.

Another was an occasion where I was stunting my way inverted and found my fuel feed starved and had to conduct a manual restart with the use of overrides and manual ignition. Very awesome.

And the latest "wow" is the self-shadowing cockpit on the screenshots on the official site.

That said, as someone who flies IRL and has appreciation for the complexity of implementing something like this - there's just too many things that have made me go "wow" to list. Those were just some that came to mind immediately.

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I am totally with you on the sun Munny, really outstandingly amazing, almost jolting in its reality.

What else . . . sounds I really like. Not just the GAU-8 but the other ambient noises that immerse you. Like how sounds travel at the speed of sound and not instantly in external view, the doppler effect . . . the other night I blew a tire from turning too hard while taxiing, and I heard it go!

Immersion-wise, just the feeling of being in the cockpit. Flying a mission the other night I took a missile hit and while my head was down (Track IR) trying to see what was broke another missile went off just safely out of range in my peripheral vision. That probably isn't something new, but because I was so immersed in the airplane and systems that event just left me totally awestruck at the feeling of 'being there.'

Things sure have come a long way since Hellcat Ace!

The entire simulation is a WOW moment for me. Today Cobrabase and I played a stormy night mission, and the concrete was slick on the taxiways, just the small details, just amazing. The storm effects were outstanding.

I agree that there are too many to list. Some of my recent wow moments:

• Flying a mission in one of the campaigns, as I ducked into a valley to avoid a SAM site, the radio became weak and scratchy as the signal's line of site to me became blocked; just as it should. Awesome.

• A dawn mission in the same campaign where there was especially heavy AAA, I decided to vacate the area until the SEAD and CAS flights did their work. Looking back over my wing to the location of the AAA, a number of the ZUs were hosing the air as the flights were attacking the AAA sites. The sight of all the tracer fire against a just-brighting sky was really a wow.

Many more besides.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Intel i7-8700K @4.9Ghz | 32Gb memory DDR4 | Evga GTX 1080ti | Saitek Eclipse keyboard |

Logitech Mx518 | CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle/Pedales | TIr5 | Win10 x64

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

All the small details:

seeing how the TGP and MAV follow the Mark poins I just created is one.

And another WOW moment, of the greatest impact, was when I called the support flights to help me, and while orbiting seeing all the flights AND explosions as the SEAD flights cleared the way for my flight. Amazing.

This is an amazing sim! 'Nuff said!:pilotfly:

YouTube: SloppyDog

Hooking up to ground power and then, having neglected to disconnect, I get a "Hey! What are you doing?!?"

...almost soiled myself when i first heard it.

...now I never remember to turn off grnd power and have gotten used to it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win7 | Intel Core 2 Quad | Q8400 @ 2.66GHz | 2.67 GHz 3.37GB of RAM 60gig Samsung SSD| GTX 570

"Operation: Bull by the Horns" "Bull Run 2.0"

Hitting my first ammo dump.....then watching the secondary explosions ....it was amazing!!!!

Intel i5 3.2 ghz

8 GB crucial ram

gtx 660 superclocked 2gb

500watt corsair psu

win7 64bit

extreme pro

track ir5

Turtle beach x12

I have too many to count XD. But my last flight, I took out three BMP's with one GBU (wasnt planning on it, but it happened), but took out a anti-air gun without ( at what I thought at the time) taking damage. So I am flying and suddenly my MFD's say there was a failure, and I no longer have airspeed. So I RTB, and fly the approach, perfect touchdown, and as soon as my front wheel touches down I here a loud boom and suddenly my front gear collapses. Im sliding down the runway, slowly coming to a halt. Im wondering "What the..... why did it do that?", so I goto external and find out my whole nose of the aircraft is missing. O.o This sim is AMAZING!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel DZ77GA70K Extreme Board | Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 4.6GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX670 FTW Edition | Corsair Hydro Series H60

Corsair Enthusiast Series 750W | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600 | Corsair Obsidian Series 550D | Triple Acer 27" 2ms 5760x1080

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Cyborg M.M.O.7 | Razor BlackWidow Ultimate | TrackIR 4

Today- when I looked at dunadan's avatar. That's the last face you see on the musical intro of an older comedy show called "Cheers"

That is my great-great grandfather. (according to my deceased grandmother- She's shown us other pictures of him years ago -- we couldn't come up with anything to dispute her..)

No shit.

Edited by S77th-konkussion
  • Like 1

Alright. Here is a WOW moment that happened this morning. Flying back to base, and suddenly these missiles or rockets (didnt know what at the time) started flyin past me, probably within 20 feet. Over my wing, then under the right. I was wondering "WHAT THE **** are THESE!!!!" Trying to dodge them I rolled right into one and lost a wing. Turned out I was flying through the top of the arc of an enemy LRM barrage XD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel DZ77GA70K Extreme Board | Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 4.6GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX670 FTW Edition | Corsair Hydro Series H60

Corsair Enthusiast Series 750W | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600 | Corsair Obsidian Series 550D | Triple Acer 27" 2ms 5760x1080

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Cyborg M.M.O.7 | Razor BlackWidow Ultimate | TrackIR 4

Alright. Here is a WOW moment that happened this morning. Flying back to base, and suddenly these missiles or rockets (didnt know what at the time) started flyin past me, probably within 20 feet. Over my wing, then under the right. I was wondering "WHAT THE **** are THESE!!!!" Trying to dodge them I rolled right into one and lost a wing. Turned out I was flying through the top of the arc of an enemy LRM barrage XD

:megalol: Good training for dodging those Zeus's, no?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A785D-M Pro | XFX 650W XXX | AMD Phenom II X4 B55 Black Edition 3.2ghz | 4GB Corsair XMS2 DHX 800mhz | XFX HD 5770 1GB @ 850/1200 | Windows 7 64bit | Logitech G35 | Logitech Mx518 | TrackIR 4

My TrackIR Profile ( Speed 1.2 / Smooth 30 ) - Right click & save as.

Today- when I looked at dunadan's avatar. That's the last face you see on the musical intro of an older comedy show called "Cheers"

That is my great-great grandfather. (according to my deceased grandmother- She's shown us other pictures of him years ago -- we couldn't come up with anything to dispute her..)

No shit.

That is really something . . . you know the reason I picked that particular image, other than being a big fan of old photographs in general, was the fact that he just looked totally and completely on top of the world - he just has life licked and its all going to be roses from here on out. I've always wondered what was really going on at that time, what his life was like, if it all panned out the way he looks like he thought it would.

I wondered if someone would pick up on where the picture came from. I never would think in a million years I would ever run into one of his descendants!

And a hog driver to boot! What are the odds?

• Like 1

When she first said who it was- I was probably... About 13-15 .. I must have been sporting one of my patented "yeahright" expressions..She says It is! He owned a bar in Quincy (I believe) in the 18xx's. I said "Nana- EVERYONE in Boston owned a bar back then" Seems that way today too..

Next day she had 2 pictures laying out- and all I could say was- "wow"

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I was messing around with the CDU, trying to figure out its various modes of operations. And while I was head down in the cockpit, I overflew a AAA and got hit. No problem, no major damage, kept dealing with the CDU. After some minutes of flying, the Master Caution alarm goes off and lights u. Then I check the Caution Panel: "L-R TKS UNEQUAL". Then, I look at the fuel gauge and the left says "1000 pounds" and the right indicator "3000 pounds. So, what to do?

I don't know if it is the right procedure or not, but at the time not knowing exactly what to do, I went to the fuel control panel and set "Crossfeed" and "TK Gate Open".

After a few seconds, the fuel gaude read "2000 pounds" for each tank, the aircraft leveled and all was well again.

What a sim: this attention to detail is amazing!

This is an amazing sim! 'Nuff said!:pilotfly:

YouTube: SloppyDog

After a practice refuelling session, looking at the damage and thinking, "How do I explain that to the chief"? It was a big bird strike chiefy, honest!:music_whistling:

846705683_Refuellingdamage.thumb.jpg.7ece7309ba47067c6ef114caf8ff9d24.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Where to start?!?! Where to finish!?!?! There is a WOW moment in every flight, even if its the same thing you did the day before and said wow to.

One out of the ordinary WOW was while throwing the plane about and playing to get a feel for limits etc. Took the plane up as high as I could, getting to about 38,000ft (ish) and reaching "Coffin corner"... the aircraft flipped and dropped out of control until it righted itself in a dive. I thought WOW, cool aerodynamics modelling... just like real life!

In that dive I thought I'd overspeed and wack in full aileron and elevator... my aircraft turned into many smaller bits of aircaft... less aerodynamic bits. WOW! I love the damage modelling so much its hard to fight the urge to put yourself in danger on purpose so you can witness it... AND to see if you can bring it home ;)

Sloth

"You get enough sleep when you're dead!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

TM WH HOTAS, TM Cougar MFDs, TrackIR 5 Pro

Processor: i5 2.67Ghz

Board: Intel DP55WB

Video: Nvidia GTX650 Ti Boost

RAM: 8Gb DDR3 1333MHz

After reading some of the other WOW moments, mine might not seem as cool as others but since I'm new I thought I'd share it anyway.

I'm in the early stages of learning this wonderful sim and my WOW moment was in the landing training. The instructor tells me to put in 110.30 in the ILS panel but after putting in the 110 and then the .30, nothing happens. So I'm like WTF! The cursor is still on the same spot and the instructor stopped talking to me! So I restarted the landing training and the same thing happened again after entering the .30. So I said "screw it" and kept flying. I found the airport and was able to land the plane on my first try. I was like "wow, I made it, who needs that instructor"?!

I did find out afterwards that it was a bug in the landing training and I have since applied the fix for it and now it works great.