How long did it take you to learn the A10?

Flacracker

I havent even tried to master it yet as I am awaiting the printed manual, once I get the manual then I will try and get everything as near as mastered as per my capability.

Hence the reason to HTFU with the manual as its delaying my play time :)

what he said !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not 100% sure but, I think it was because a fighter Jet can effectively slow down when showing more surface into the wind whereas the wing profile of the A-10 keeps you jumping over the runway when a small blow catches your foils... just my 2 cent:prop:

Yes, according to the F4AF manual at least (which was my source on the topic) one should keep the plane at an angle after touchdown, in order to use the wings to create additional drag to help slow the plane.

It's been a while since I was in the F4AF pit now so the exact numbers escape me, but roughly from memory I think landing speed should be around 160 kts for an 11 degrees AoA approach, and keep the guncross at ~10 degree pitch after landing while slowing down, until around 100 kts when the nose is lowered.

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme B3 | Intel i7-2600K | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz | GeForce GTX 580 1536MB | Corsair SSD 128GB | TrackIR4 Pro | Saitek X52 Pro | CH Pro Pedals | Win7 x64

Yes, according to the F4AF manual at least (which was my source on the topic) one should keep the plane at an angle after touchdown, in order to use the wings to create additional drag to help slow the plane.

It's been a while since I was in the F4AF pit now so the exact numbers escape me, but roughly from memory I think landing speed should be around 160 kts for an 11 degrees AoA approach, and keep the guncross at ~10 degree pitch after landing while slowing down, until around 100 kts when the nose is lowered.

Landing a plane, be it a PC simulator plane, once on the runway after landing, full speed brakes, I use right and left toe brakes the instant I hit the runway. Point I want to make, landing on a short runway, like the A-10C, X - weapons training area runways: employ up elevator at about 80 knots or so, additionally acts like a drag chute, will stop you plenty on a short runway without ending up in the grass.

• Like 1

Landing a plane, be it a PC simulator plane, once on the runway after landing, full speed brakes, I use right and left toe brakes the instant I hit the runway. Point I want to make, landing on a short runway, like the A-10C, X - weapons training area runways: employ up elevator at about 80 knots or so, additionally acts like a drag chute, will stop you plenty on a short runway without ending up in the grass.

Concur, from my experience, jets with low sweep angle, you plant the nose wheel and then push full nose forward. This provides drag braking from the elevator. Holding off the nose wheel with an aircraft with a low swept wing decreases the braking effectiveness.

• Like 1
[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

Interesting observation Erich and Kaiza, I always attempt to keep my nose up and flare as I am landing and keep nosewheel off the ground for as long as I am able.

Added with what you point out I should stop in no time as I can easily get down to 80 knots with my flare landing:)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'd like to see them try to fly the air-force way. Most of them would whine and complain that the instructors are being too hard on them, or they would just fail to keep up.

People who have learned the game in week, should be flying those real planes, since they completely can master A-10C in a week, for god's sake why do military waste money for training pilots for years, when we have these guys here?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I'd like to see them try to fly the air-force way. Most of them would whine and complain that the instructors are being too hard on them, or they would just fail to keep up.

People are smarter than you give them credit for. This simulation is not harder than a college physics class. All the material and tutorials are there for one to examine. After mastering Black Shark, one has their own idea on how to learn this game from the ground up and as fast as possible. If it takes people one week to accomplish this then they've obviously done their homework.

vortex, it isn't just a question about being "smart". It's 99% about being dedicated and disciplined enough.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Systems knowledge and such is nothing hard to master. Sure a couple of hard weeks to learn the majority. Just flying and operating switchology is the simple wrote memory. So what. Executing a mission as a mission commander of a 6 ship with expert skill and strategy is totally different and far more the judge of a skilled combat pilot....compared to whether or not they can do the basics such as push buttons...

Even just basic mutual support as a wing-man is not easy...

And yes USAF training is alot of blood in the water in some cases,....its not a school to learn how to press buttons.....You better show up to school with all this stuff down pat so that you can start the real training...... Make sense at all?? "for god's sake why do military waste money for training pilots for years, when we have these guys here?"

You need to understand all this stuff you studs learn about this sim is bare minimum type stuff... This switchology is not what determines a pilot combat skill. In addition this has nothing to do with a stud who has been flying falcon for 1,000 hours either. Force tactics do not just happen because you have virtual stick time.... even if you've been gaming for 10 years.....

Sincerely,

"Rooster"

Edited by 44th_Rooster
  • Like 2

ASROCK Z77 Pro4, I5 3570K, 16GB DDR3, GTX 760SC, Corsair TX750W, Sound Blaster X-FI Extreme, Solid State Hard Drive, Full Homebuilt Cockpit, TM HOTAS Wartpig, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TrackIR-5 w/TrackClip Pro, Vizio 42inch 1080p Monitor, Windows 7 64bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Concur, from my experience, jets with low sweep angle, you plant the nose wheel and then push full nose forward. This provides drag braking from the elevator. Holding off the nose wheel with an aircraft with a low swept wing decreases the braking effectiveness.

Do not push down on your nose tire after landing. You hold your nose tire off the ground after landing or at least slight back pressure to extend nose strut.... Unless you wish to risk popping your nose tire, losing directional control and departing a prepared surface just because your experience tells you to push full nose down..... ;)

By the way using aerobraking in the real world helps the brakes to not heat up and pop the tires 20 minutes after you leave the jet for the O-Club. Pisses the crewchief off....

Sincerely,

"Rooster"

Edited by 44th_Rooster

ASROCK Z77 Pro4, I5 3570K, 16GB DDR3, GTX 760SC, Corsair TX750W, Sound Blaster X-FI Extreme, Solid State Hard Drive, Full Homebuilt Cockpit, TM HOTAS Wartpig, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TrackIR-5 w/TrackClip Pro, Vizio 42inch 1080p Monitor, Windows 7 64bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do not push down on your nose tire after landing. You hold your nose tire off the ground after landing or at least slight back pressure to extend nose strut....

Unless you're executing a short-field or road-base landing in a JAS-39, then you need to get your nose-wheel down ASAP to allow the canards to enter aerobrake mode (they have a safety that requires nose gear depression to allow that kind of deflection). But yeah, that's an exception. :P

Also, in the civvie world, getting used to pushing the nose tire down can cause interesting accident reports whenever you end up landing a taildragger. :D

(Btw, heyas Rooster.)

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Unless you're executing a short-field or road-base landing in a JAS-39, then you need to get your nose-wheel down ASAP to allow the canards to enter aerobrake mode (they have a safety that requires nose gear depression to allow that kind of deflection). But yeah, that's an exception. :P

Also, in the civvie world, getting used to pushing the nose tire down can cause interesting accident reports whenever you end up landing a taildragger. :D

(Btw, heyas Rooster.)

True EtherealN, but just to confirm,

We dont do very short field landings in the A-10 :) This is what you should be doing in the Warthog.

If available your DCS runway does not require maximum braking, speed should be reduced by aerodynamic braking and also extending speed brakes 100%. Following aerodynamic braking, smoothly lower the nose to the runway prior to loss of elevator effectiveness. This is standard and very simple to follow.

Sincerely,

"Rooster"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aye, the runway is there to be used. :)

Do you happen to know any other planes that use methods similar to the 39? The 37 did through it's reverser, but that one's out of service and I'm having issues thinking of any. Chute-equipped planes maybe? Would proceedure change if there's risk of slippery runway surface (rain/snow etc)?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Aye, the runway is there to be used. :)

Do you happen to know any other planes that use methods similar to the 39? The 37 did through it's reverser, but that one's out of service and I'm having issues thinking of any. Chute-equipped planes maybe? Would proceedure change if there's risk of slippery runway surface (rain/snow etc)?

RCR-runway condition (I.E. snow, ice, and wet) readings do vary the procedures a bit, but never to dig the nose down to stop in this type of military aircraft,....usually the RCR procedure just accounts for the longer landing roll distance needed..... thats all to do with T.O.L.D. calculations (Take Off and Landing Data)

A Different procedure for example might be to land a bit more firm retract flaps at touchdown and use less braking power for a wet runway or standing water which might cause hydroplaning.... Still never to dig nose wheel down at all.

Edited by 44th_Rooster

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To be extremely honest, I'm such a freaking NOOB... I can fly the aircraft very easily (as I'm a RL Pilot) but as far as weapons delivery, haven't gotten that "mastered" yet .. just don't have the time to spend ... been working 7-days a week for the last 2 months (I'm an IT computer engineer and have been supporting a large desktop migration) and by the time I get home and take care of personal business - I'm too tired to expend anymore "intellectual" energy on it ..

I've been a simmer since MS Flight Sim v2.0 on an Apple IIC --- way, way back then...

This kind of sim is just perfect as I can spend years just learning and enjoying the overall "imersement factor" and the realism it provides.. Been a Beta01 user since it first existed. So, no bitching here!!!

I did buy the TM HOTAS Warthog just to be able operate the aerospace vehicle with as much realism as possible; and I do recommend this expensive hardware to anyone who can afford it.. Although, I did have to beg my wife to "buy" it for me as my Christmas present last year ;-)

My .02 Cents.. !

Edited by bradleyjs

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64

Chute-equipped planes maybe?

Pretty sure F-16s still aerobrake even when deploying the chute.

This kind of sim is just perfect as I can spend years just learning and enjoying the overall "imersement factor" and the realism it provides.

Or at least until DCS F/A-18C is released :).

Edited by hassata

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

People who have learned the game in week, should be flying those real planes, since they completely can master A-10C in a week, for god's sake why do military waste money for training pilots for years, when we have these guys here?

Sounds like you envy them ;) ...I guess the major difference is AFTER learning to fly the A-10, specifically its systems in a simulator, you must learn to fly the REAL plane, that is where you have just one crash free without recovery option :lol:

And before the Air Force allows any pilot in any plane he has to learn a lot about strategy, tactics, communication etc. plus constantly proving they are physically, mentally and technically able to do the job.

I guess most of the guys in the forum are too old, too unhealthy or physically unfit or what else may be a requirement.

Like you may be able to drive a car in about 4 weeks easily, but to win a NASCAR or Formula one race is a different story :doh:

Just my 2 cent

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)