Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

Any update on DX11 progress and nevada???

jctrnacty

HI, id just like to know if there are any news how is the new dx11 engine shaping up?

What are the performance benefits cons and pros of DX11 upgrade?

I must say i like the screenshots ,they look great, but few words about engine could be good to share.

thanks for any info.

PS:I cant wait for 1.0.0.8

[sigpic][/sigpic]

MB MSI x570 Prestige Creation, RYzen 9 3900X, 32 Gb Ram 3333MHz, cooler Dark rock PRO 4, eVGA 1080Ti, 32 inch BenQ 32011pt, saitek X52Pro, HP Reverb, win 10 64bit

Updates will be made as and when appropriate through the normal channels (Announcement section, Twitter etc) so unfortunately I cannot comment on the status of such things.

As far as performance with Dx11 compared to Dx9, this really depends a lot on what is done with it. One example (used by, for example, Battlefield Bad Company 2) is to just do the same thing but with the Dx11 instructions - a given scene with a given graphics setting in that game will look identical no matter if it was run through Dx9 or 11, but the Dx11 instructions are more efficient for many things, so the load on the GPU would be reduced.

However, I don't do graphics programming (closest I ever got to that was an extremely basic NCURSES-based UI...) so I don't know to which degree one could expect that specific thing to impact the DCS line - I can't even make an educated guess there beyond something simple like "it'll be better". :P

Dx11 does also offer some some new features, like the much-hyped Tesselation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

DX 11 adds support for Hardware tessellation, enhanced DOF, and provides a better APi for developer use.

unfortunately unless you use DX11 features as opposed to software rendered versions of those features, you won't see any realistic performance benefits. That is of course, barring the more intuitive use of the new API by developers.

Edit: there's EtherealN, always beating me to it :P

Edited by Pyroflash

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

DX11 will make you lag more :P (harder on your computer)

No it won't. ;)

First of all, "lag" is a networking thing. The technical term is "latency". Dx11's graphical features is completely unconcerned with networking stuff, so it cannot do anything in this regard, neither pro nor con. You can discuss latency on input controllers and since that's usually handled by DirectInput that would indeed be part of DX. But the thing is that here it's the input hardware itself, and it's associated drivers, that are the governing factors. DX version will not have any impact.

Also, in case you didn't read previous responses to this thread, Dx11 is actually more efficient than Dx9 for many things, so if you use Dx11 to implement the same features as you have in Dx9, the rendering path will be more efficient and it'll actually me lighter "on your computer".

Amalahama, depending on which type of stutter you are talking about (there are several, and different people will depending on hardware/software/drivers/etc suffer different ones or none), no solution can be found on tweaking around with the Dx implementation.

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

No it won't. ;)

First of all, "lag" is a networking thing. The technical term is "latency". Dx11's graphical features is completely unconcerned with networking stuff, so it cannot do anything in this regard, neither pro nor con. You can discuss latency on input controllers and since that's usually handled by DirectInput that would indeed be part of DX. But the thing is that here it's the input hardware itself, and it's associated drivers, that are the governing factors. DX version will not have any impact.

Also, in case you didn't read previous responses to this thread, Dx11 is actually more efficient than Dx9 for many things, so if you use Dx11 to implement the same features as you have in Dx9, the rendering path will be more efficient and it'll actually me lighter "on your computer".

Amalahama, depending on which type of stutter you are talking about (there are several, and different people will depending on hardware/software/drivers/etc suffer different ones or none), no solution can be found on tweaking around with the Dx implementation.

oops my bad I should have been clearer and said that it will affect your frames per second. I know that dx11 doesn't have anything to do with network performance, but from what I have experienced, DX11 graphics and settings take more V Ram and CPU power to run, thus you have a drop in FPS. Are you saying this is not the case?

Sometimes it is possible to get 10-15% increase in FPS. Well, sometimes... :)

Wir sehen uns in Walhalla.

oops my bad I should have been clearer and said that it will affect your frames per second. I know that dx11 doesn't have anything to do with network performance, but from what I have experienced, DX11 graphics and settings take more V Ram and CPU power to run, thus you have a drop in FPS. Are you saying this is not the case?

It isn't the case at all the reason you feel it might be slower is because when you run dx11 the developer probably has added extra detail/graphics like tesselation, like said before if it was the same picture as dx9 but run through dx11 the api (coding used) is more efficient so there will be less load and better framerates. Another example of dx11 running better besides battlefield which is a great example is, civilization v it runs much better on dx11 then dx9.

But besides all this when did ED say they were going to make a dx11 engine??

Depends entirely on what's done with it. If the game you are looking at uses Tesselation and other such new features in Dx11 mode, then comparing performance with Dx9 or 10 is completely unfair. It's a bit like saying that running a game with AntiAliasing on will have a performance overhead compared to running it without... It's one of those "duh" things - adding a feature always costs performance.

Drivers also impact this: for example, using Dx11 mode in Dragon Age 2 could absolutely murder your FPS - until you update to a new driver. (I experienced this on my GTX560Ti.)

If Dx11 was used only to re-implement Dx9/10 features, you will see better performance in Dx11 since it is more efficient both in that the API makes life easier for the programmer and that the rendering pipeline itself is more efficient.

And remember - you can (usually) turn those Dx11 specific features off, so even games that use them (HAWX and HAWX2 apparently uses Tesselation very aggressively, for example) doesn't have to suffer from the added feature workload, and then you should see a net gain as long as the driver situation is in order.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Nethack FTW. :D

EDIT: And thanks for the reminder - just started downloading NetHack to my Android. :D

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

HI, id just like to know if there are any news how is the new dx11 engine shaping up?

What are the performance benefits cons and pros of DX11 upgrade?

I must say i like the screenshots ,they look great, but few words about engine could be good to share.

thanks for any info.

PS:I cant wait for 1.0.0.8

where can i find these screens?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I never knew there was a DirectX 11 build in the works. I suppose we could benefit from the better multi-threading that DirectX 11 has. I've noticed, even on my budget Dx11 card that 90% of games run better in Dx11 providing you turn off Enhanced DOF and Tesselation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A785D-M Pro | XFX 650W XXX | AMD Phenom II X4 B55 Black Edition 3.2ghz | 4GB Corsair XMS2 DHX 800mhz | XFX HD 5770 1GB @ 850/1200 | Windows 7 64bit | Logitech G35 | Logitech Mx518 | TrackIR 4

My TrackIR Profile ( Speed 1.2 / Smooth 30 ) - Right click & save as.

Enhanced DOF could really help with the look inside the pit.

Maybe, but it might not work well in this sim. There is no way the sim can tell what your eyes are focused on so it will more than likely blur things that you need to see. For example I can't see them applying DOF over the gauges or on the outside of the pit.

One place I can see it working well though is using the F7 view since the vehicle is always central, might even work in the F2 & F3 views also and even in the free cam view when you lock a vehicle or aircraft, that would put a smile on movie makers faces.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A785D-M Pro | XFX 650W XXX | AMD Phenom II X4 B55 Black Edition 3.2ghz | 4GB Corsair XMS2 DHX 800mhz | XFX HD 5770 1GB @ 850/1200 | Windows 7 64bit | Logitech G35 | Logitech Mx518 | TrackIR 4

My TrackIR Profile ( Speed 1.2 / Smooth 30 ) - Right click & save as.

Depends entirely on what's done with it. If the game you are looking at uses Tesselation and other such new features in Dx11 mode, then comparing performance with Dx9 or 10 is completely unfair. It's a bit like saying that running a game with AntiAliasing on will have a performance overhead compared to running it without... It's one of those "duh" things - adding a feature always costs performance.

Drivers also impact this: for example, using Dx11 mode in Dragon Age 2 could absolutely murder your FPS - until you update to a new driver. (I experienced this on my GTX560Ti.)

If Dx11 was used only to re-implement Dx9/10 features, you will see better performance in Dx11 since it is more efficient both in that the API makes life easier for the programmer and that the rendering pipeline itself is more efficient.

And remember - you can (usually) turn those Dx11 specific features off, so even games that use them (HAWX and HAWX2 apparently uses Tesselation very aggressively, for example) doesn't have to suffer from the added feature workload, and then you should see a net gain as long as the driver situation is in order.

gotcha! thanks for clearing that up!

Very well said, could not say it better, let’s start and wait if ED makes it available for dx11, then let’s talk after. I'm still on a DX10 card myself. Not willing to upgrade so far, since I'm able to max out most of my games so far, eVGA GTX280 O/C, old by today standards. However, I'm still satisfied and it remains a descent video card, especially at the price I paid for it at its release a few years back.

Next upgrade will be a full new PC unit. Until then, I’m good, could be better? Yes, but I’m still good, lol :smoke:

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.

[ATTACH]51993[/ATTACH]

:cheer3nc:

A10 Cuba. That was THE game that started it all for me. Before that I had merely dabbled in flight sims.. :joystick: Also the game that started my love affair with a certain ugly jet.

</fond memories thread derailment> :smilewink:

Edited by Rider1