Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

What is this A-10 venting?

lobo

Hi here is a vid of an A-10 demo at Edwards AFB. At the 3:35 mark the pilot has just finished a cuban 8 and is performing a split S. As he is inverted the aircraft is venting something. I suspect fuel... There are no smoke cannisters on the a/c. Anyone know? I've never seen this before.

If fuel flows are selected to override inverted would you get venting?

Edited by lobo**

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

I suspect there is a smoke canister on the center pylon.

Looks like smoke but if you watch the vid carefully you will see that the a/c it is clean. No center smoke. I dont remember ever seeing an A-10 demo with smoke cannisters actually. I dont think this is smoke.

Sniped by Paulrkii

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

I know he was inverted!!! Can he vent fuel on purpose????;) Maybe extra pump, to stay inverted??? It is a Demo aircraft?

Edited by celticcoho

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Celticcoho (OriginFreedom)

WIN 7 64 bit, I7975 at 3.6ghz,X58 Classified 3 Mobo, 6gb Corsair 2000 ram, 2 ea ATI 5870 Eyefinity 6 2gb's , 27" Ultra Sharp,(main view), 3 23"touch screens , Tm Warthog, Saitek Combat Pedals Track IR 5,:D JIM.:book:

That's nasty!

Somehow I do not think that dumping that amount of Jet-Fuel was intentional.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

That's nasty!

Somehow I do not think that dumping that amount of Jet-Fuel was intentional.

I agree Viper, but it makes one wonder why he did not stall out inverted and dumping fuel??:helpsmilie:

WIN 7 64 bit, I7975 at 3.6ghz,X58 Classified 3 Mobo, 6gb Corsair 2000 ram, 2 ea ATI 5870 Eyefinity 6 2gb's , 27" Ultra Sharp,(main view), 3 23"touch screens , Tm Warthog, Saitek Combat Pedals Track IR 5,:D JIM.:book:

I agree Viper, but it makes one wonder why he did not stall out inverted and dumping fuel??:helpsmilie:

He's got about 10 secs before flaming out IIRC - auxillary wee fuel pump feeds while inverted.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

He's got about 10 secs before flaming out IIRC.

I would say if he is dumping fuel, 10 sec is gone???:music_whistling::doh: Hard to know for sure, all Speculation Here!!Cheers

I edited while you replied :)

There's a wee auxiliary fuel pump that feeds fuel for the inverted flight so I would assume it's relatively 'independent' of your main supply.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I edited while you replied :)

There's a wee auxiliary fuel pump that feeds fuel for the inverted flight so I would assume it's relatively 'independent' of your main supply.

I am aware of that!!!But even the wee little pump need fuel from somewhere, If you are dumping it, where are you drawing from? Like I said, Speculation!!!:thumbup: Negative pressure to feed???

If you are dumping it, where are you drawing from? Like I said, Speculation!!!:thumbup:

You are not drawing it - the auxiliary fuel pump is always 'primed'/full so to speak.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

where are you drawing from?

AFAIK there are small tanks that get filled while upright and supply fuel while inverted.

It all depends where that fuel leaked.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

interesting, also show the realibilty of the aircraft, If in fact it was fuel leaking, Bravo a-10, as i see, he did not flame out!!!Cheers

:book:

good Conversation!! TY Guys... I Learn more everyday!!!!:thumbup:

He can't dump fuel the A-10 has no dumping capability. Technically that's a Code III problem when he landed.

TY paulrkiii, I just surprized they didn't stop the Demo at that point???Bravo to the Pilot and Crew to finish the show safely!!!:thumbup:

TY paulrkiii, I just surprized they didn't stop the Demo at that point???Bravo to the Pilot and Crew to finish the show safely!!!:thumbup:

In May my jet launched out and on takeoff we noticed she was venting, we expected her to come back right away but she flew the mission anyways. As long as it doesn't continue that's the main issue. We still had to defuel and send her to the fuel barn.

Stick actuators (A.K.A. pilots) don't always do what they are suppose to. I had guys drop items (pencils, rings, change, etc) in my pit before flight, not saying anything and flying. Once they landed tell us about it, so now I got to go head first to try to find this. If I can't find it, we got to remove the canopy and seat.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Stick actuators (A.K.A. pilots) don't always do what they are suppose to. I had guys drop items (pencils, rings, change, etc) in my pit before flight, not saying anything and flying. Once they landed tell us about it, so now I got to go head first to try to find this. If I can't find it, we got to remove the canopy and seat.

Do pilots pay your lunch that day?! They should have!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do pilots pay your lunch that day?! They should have!

This has happen many times, and no, they did not. We are lucky if they even tells us. Most times we just get a call in the radio: "By the way, I think I over G the aircraft to a cat three, Just letting you know" or "I need to change my code one to three"

Landing codes

Table 4.1

http://www.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/afi21-101.pdf

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

This has happen many times, and no, they did not. We are lucky if they even tells us. Most times we just get a call in the radio: "By the way, I think I over G the aircraft to a cat three, Just letting you know" or "I need to change my code one to three"

Landing codes

Table 4.1

http://www.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/afi21-101.pdf

Mvsgas, TY, good read!!!!How lucky to be a crew member??/But, if the crew can't do it, it does not Fly, So Bravo to you!!!!:thumbup:

Possibly the vent tank accumulated liquid fuel that ended up going out the overboard vent when he went zero or negative g again before it could all drain into the wing tanks.

Hmm?? There must be baffles to keep the fuel from sloshing around??or is it that is why you must TRIM the A/C all the time?;)