Emergency strips

bluepilot76

There are several airfields shown on the TAD, depending on scale, which do not exist within the simulated world.

It would be good if these strips were modelled, even if they are just short strips of gravel, similar to the emergency strips that were in Falcon 4.0

I tried to divert to one earlier but of course there was nothing there and I ended up having to eject.

• Like 1

Technical Specs: Asus G73JW gaming laptop... i7-740QM 1.73GHz ... GTX460m 1.5GB ... 8GB DDR5 RAM ... Win7 64 ... TIR5 ... Thrustmaster T16000m

+1 !

Edit: ;)

I hope we both agree...

We will never land on enemy-territory to save the machine!

Normal procedure is to bail out in a area (when you have still the the time left) where you know that your machine will hit the ground with the greatest possible damage to the airframe.

a example: Look out for the nearest unpopulated cliff/hillside - aim your machine on it - arm the autopilot and hit full throttle - than eject.

... as long your system-stability allows this.

edit ++ :D :But....

... If you are piloting a f-16 you can land anywhere you want....

- because no one is interested in this and everyone has already all the info about it... :D - just ask here on the forums- and you will see... ;)

Edited by PeterP

1) If my plane still has throttles, autopilots etc etc, I probably aint going to eject, but ride it home so I can get to the bar quicker.

2) Hey I love F16s! How can anybody not! Must have the best view and seating position of any fighter jet. Coolest jet plane around. Anybody get bored of theirs I will take it of their hands for free. Who wants to be circling around at 25k all day in there big fat F15E while the rear seater plays with GBUs on his TV screen. Can do that with B52, even B737 is goin that way soon. . Give me something with shorter legs, shorter wings, less bombs, The more refuelling, landing taking off the better!

Whoops thread creep!

Technical Specs: Asus G73JW gaming laptop... i7-740QM 1.73GHz ... GTX460m 1.5GB ... 8GB DDR5 RAM ... Win7 64 ... TIR5 ... Thrustmaster T16000m

I dont know, why dont you start up a thread to ask?

This one is about dirt strips.

It's because you attacked his F15E :music_whistling:;)

Do you think that getting 9 women pregnant will get you a baby in 1 month?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Lg 22'' 1920*1080

CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz +Zalman CNPS9900 max

Keyboard: Logitech G15

GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: Sidewinder X8

PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saytek X52, TrackIr5

RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr3 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz

Case: 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb

There are several airfields shown on the TAD, depending on scale, which do not exist within the simulated world.

It would be good if these strips were modelled, even if they are just short strips of gravel, similar to the emergency strips that were in Falcon 4.0

I tried to divert to one earlier but of course there was nothing there and I ended up having to eject.

Do you know, by any chance, the locations where TAD shows the airfields that are not in the 3D world?

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Do you know, by any chance, the locations where TAD shows the airfields that are not in the 3D world?

YES!,

I actually forgot I did this untill now, but I hit the print screen as I came in to la.....crash...

See attached..

It was at Zugdidi. There was one to the north and one to the south west, they were only visible on certain levels of zoom . I am sure I have seen others as well.

Screen_111007_155952.thumb.jpg.756e96faf806c3d08f84a3fb7f4b7a2c.jpg

Thank you,

If anyone come across more let us know. Not sure the cause or which one is wrong (TAD or 3D), or even if anything is wrong. Maybe one of the other guys will let us know. I will ask.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

........It would be good if these strips were modelled, even if they are just short strips of gravel, similar to the emergency strips that were in Falcon 4.0.......

And how exactly are you going to put the A-10C down safely on a 'short strip of gravel'? I'm sure you can appreciate that it's just not gonna happen - IIRC the best I can do is get her down and stopped inside of 800 metres and that's on tarmac/concrete.

As such it's just now worth the extra Dev time and effort to model an airstrip that's effectively useless at present. Might be an argument for the Shark though.

To take your example of Zugdidi:

d407f1d8.png

35447f1f.jpg

It's basically a Heli-Port of sorts (see the 3 helo's dotted about) and not even taking into account the kinks and bends, it measures in at 350-odd metres.

In an emergency situation that you experienced, you're better off putting her down on one of the roads/highways - there are plenty of them about.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Thanks Viper. I knew they keep you around for a reason :D

To whom it may concern,

I don't know what you are seeing Viper, but I can't see anything that looks like a copter in that image.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

I don't know what you are seeing Viper, but I can't see anything that looks like a copter in that image.

2c3b2b69.jpg

In any event, largely irrelevant for the purposes of this discussion - could be cattle or even UFO's for that matter. Fact remains it's a not-very-straight 350m 'strip' of something next to a railway-line completely useless as an A-10C landing strip, even in the most dire of emergency.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

.and btw:

I changed my mind - better add these airstrips first if we see DCS-PiperClub...

Not because I wouldn't like to see them... But it would conserve the resources of the Devs and Moderators ;)

The problem will be that we will have hundred of postings/rants what retard mind have made the runways not long enough to land/take-off...

hmmm, I can see your point, however this is a wish list, so it is not my concern about whether there is more useful things for the developers to be doing. There are tens of things I would RATHER see in the simulator than gravel strips..

I think, at least in terms of aviation objects / facilities, the map should match the simulated world. Maybe the runway is too short, but thats how things are in RL. it would add to the immersion, just because you see a runway, should you land on it or try and get to a bigger one? as it currently is as long as you can see a runway you know you can land on it safely.

In real life landing on roads is probably a bad idea, they nearly all have power lines along them, which is one of the most important things you should be looking to avoid whilst doing a forced landing.

500m of gravel strip followed by overrun at 30knots is also a lot better than landing in a field I would think.

The airstrip to the south west of Zigdidi is more significant, I am sure a lot of the other missing ones might be as well.

Anyway, yeah its not a big deal, I would much rather have various other things improved or fixed first.

zugdidi.thumb.jpg.47f462be9608b147904ce8d4cfe492cc.jpg

Actually Viper, are you sure that is the airfield that is shown on the TAD in the game? It doesnt look anything like an airfield to me, possibly a technical area, but Im sure those tracks arent the runway. When I zoomed into that area to the northeast of Zigdid with google maps the resolution was terrible. Have you got access to your own U2?

.and btw:

I changed my mind - better add these airstrips first if we see DCS-PiperClub...

Not because I wouldn't like to see them... But it would conserve the resources of the Devs and Moderators ;)

The problem will be that we will have hundred of postings/rants what retard mind have made the runways not long enough to land/take-off...

There are already runways in DCS:A-10C that are too short for the hog to land on without an overrun or broken gear. You just can't start a mission from any of them.

Three antennas with their shadow:

I am pretty sure they are high voltage power lines. If you zoom in you can faintly make out the wires going to the left.

Edited by VincentLaw

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

....The airstrip to the south west of Zigdidi is more significant, I am sure a lot of the other missing ones might be as well....

You referring to the Zugdidi-Anaklia airport?

Construction commenced 30/11/2010 and is only due to be completed end 2012 if all goes well, that is.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes probably,... the one on the map that I attatched a post or two back, if you look at the location in satelite mode of GE it is fairly obvious that it has been there for years, I wouldnt be surprised if it was originally WWII era. I should think that they are actually upgrading it to re-open in 2012.

The fact that it is on the TAD map, which is clearly just a scan of RL aeronautical chart also indicates that it most definatley has existed as a airfield of sorts prior to 2012.

Yes probably,... the one on the map that I attatched a post or two back, if you look at the location in satelite mode of GE it is fairly obvious that it has been there for years, I wouldnt be surprised if it was originally WWII era. I should think that they are actually upgrading it to re-open in 2012.

The fact that it is on the TAD map, which is clearly just a scan of RL aeronautical chart also indicates that it most definatley has existed as a airfield of sorts prior to 2012.

Oh I don't know/think so - it's listed on the aero-chart as 'Runway Pattern Unknown'.

7a7193e2.png

e881f5a8.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes.... so the chart key says there is a runway there and they dont put airfields on charts unless they exist already, otherwise a pilot might fly there and expect to find one. Have a look at the GE image, it doesnt take "Time Team" to establish that it has been there for donkeys years!

Anyway whatever, s'just an idea!

I'm with Bluepilot here. In principle, it should be in the sim if it is depicted on the chart...plain and simple. Now, ED may have decided otherwise because of gameplay reasons, dev cost etc, etc.. Same goes for location (Lat, Long) and layout of various airports in-sim compared to sat. pics on Google Maps.

Whatever, never mind. There are more pressing matters that need to be dealt with. However, to find 'holes' in what Bluepilot writes when his point is so obvious is downright dumb. :)

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."