Wheels get stuck in every floor but concrete, on concrete they roll eternally

Rongor

If I taxi (safely!) beyond taxi ways and exceed across some grass or brown soil, there is no problem "driving" back to solid underground (taxiway, runway...)

But if I fullstop on other than hardened floor, my ship gets immediately stuck forever. It's not that I bolted it into the dirt by emergency braking or whatsoever. It just comes to a halt and then is instantly glued there. Fullthrust doesnt help. Mission over :mad:

The other thing I noticed, if i push my plane smoothly one short burst, I roll on slowly. But unless braking, the rolling never ends. There seems to be no friction at all.:doh:

Am I missing there some real world crap that gets simulated perfectly here, but beyond my understaning?:helpsmilie:

If I taxi (safely!) beyond taxi ways and exceed across some grass or brown soil, there is no problem "driving" back to solid underground (taxiway, runway...)

But if I fullstop on other than hardened floor, my ship gets immediately stuck forever. It's not that I bolted it into the dirt by emergency braking or whatsoever. It just comes to a halt and then is instantly glued there. Fullthrust doesnt help. Mission over

AFAIK the area load of the A-10 gear is too high to taxi over unhardened surfaces, so taxiing on grass is a no-go.

The taxiing back from grass is probably a slight mismatch between the size of the taxiway texture and the area the sim "knows" as being hardened, i hope you understand what i mean.

The other thing I noticed, if i push my plane smoothly one short burst, I roll on slowly. But unless braking, the rolling never ends. There seems to be no friction at all.

Turbine engines need a lot of mass flow to self sustain, in most cases enough to keep the aircraft rolling even at idle. This is perfectly true to real life behaviour and has nothing to do with rolling friction being absent.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

^^>-o^^SNIPER

First of all in real life if you taxi off into the grass/dirt your mission would be over...so it lookls like they modeled that correctly.

Also IRL most jet aircraft only need a bump in thrust to get them rolling and it does take a bit to come to a stop. Idle thrust is enough to keep it going believe it or not. Hell I use to taxi Embraer RJ's all over LAX and you had to drag the brakes at idle thrust otherwise you be doing 40mph just from the idle thrust. We use to put out the thrust reverser on one engine on long taxi's to keep the brakes from heating up.

One other suggestion is to stay on the taxiways...that is what they are there for!

Edited by airdog

Airdog

| Asus ROG Strix Z370-E Mobo | i7 8700K @ 4.7 | 32 GB DDR4@3200mhz | Gigabyte 2080Ti OC 11GB| Samsung M.2 960 Evo 250Gb and 500Gb | Win10 Pro | Hotas Warthog #02743 | Track IR 5 | Toshiba 47" 120hz LED | Acer 23" Touchscreen | HELIOS |Oculus Rift-S|

http://www.blackknightssquadron.com/

Turbine engines need a lot of mass flow to self sustain, in most cases enough to keep the aircraft rolling even at idle. This is perfectly true to real life behaviour and has nothing to do with rolling friction being absent.

Absolutely, for example the F-16, you leave the throttle alone on taxi (except on brakecheck). You'll accelerate when taxiing and brake from 25 to 15 knots every time you hit 25 (IIRC it's 25...).

First of all in real life if you taxi off into the grass/dirt your mission would be over...so it lookls like they modeled that correctly.

not for all aircrafts.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Ok, I then will try to cope with those damn taxiways, I guess...:smilewink:

Long story short:

Some hours ago I managed to land a heavily disabled A-10 on Senaki Airfield. Ok I wrecked the main gear but finishing a landing at all was a real success. Unfortunately those damaged gears drove me 10 meters of the runway when coming to a halt. Ground crew repaired everything but then I couldnt get back to the runway. So I felt betrayed for the success of my nice emergency landing effort...

Edited by Rongor
to tell the wohle story

Try a +50°C scenario, your A-10 will start rolling at idle and you won't be able to stop it at idle, even when braking. :)

Are you sure? If anything, engine performance should be less at higher temperatures. :huh:

Come let's eat grandpa!

Ok, I got a new one. Your explanation did sound really well. But now - why cant the plane being put back to moving after halted here????

118860239-4.jpg

Also been stuck there going in the other direction, after a botched ( and heavily damaged) landing. Managed to roll it across the grass, around the edge of the hangars to the bottom of the image, then got stuck almost exactly where you were there.

Are you sure? If anything, engine performance should be less at higher temperatures. :huh:

Ah yes, sign error. Should be minus fifty degrees celsius... You know NASA crashed a rocket because of a sign error once. :D

Nice plane on that gun...

OS764 P930@4 MBUD3R M6GB G5870 SSDX25 CAntec1200 HTMHW

I would trade one of my engines for a push back feature like in FS.

Just ask the ground crew to push back left right or straight in the intercom.

Should work on "stuck in grass". Those tractors are strong :D

Would solve those "half dead cant taxi" scenarios.

General Nerd :pirate:

Intel I5 4ghz, 16Gb Ram, GTX1070, Saitek X55 HOTAS

Also been stuck there going in the other direction, after a botched ( and heavily damaged) landing. Managed to roll it across the grass, around the edge of the hangars to the bottom of the image, then got stuck almost exactly where you were there.

By all means, tell us about these bugs. :) Unfortunately it is impossible for the tester staff to test every single meter of taxiway, so if you find such an area, plz take a screenshot and report it!

Edit: Reproduced and reported.

Edited by sobek

Come let's eat grandpa!

• 2 months later...

Some hours ago I managed to land a heavily disabled A-10 on Senaki Airfield. Ok I wrecked the main gear but finishing a landing at all was a real success. Unfortunately those damaged gears drove me 10 meters of the runway when coming to a halt. Ground crew repaired everything but then I couldnt get back to the runway. So I felt betrayed for the success of my nice emergency landing effort...

LOL, I had the same thing happen. Crash landed after having a SAM blow off half my tail, taking out an engine, etc. Put it down without dying, but went off the runway. After repairing/rearming/refueling I was stuck in the dirt anyways. Damn. ;)

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

I've always thought that the stopping ability of the a-10 in this sim was inaccurate. Whether due to insufficient friction on runways/taxiways or lack of braking power I don't know - they both have the same effect as far as the operator is concerned. I think if you assume that our pilot is applying "normal" braking pressure when we are holding [w] then yea, its accurate.. But max braking pressure should really be more effective I would think?? Never flown the a-10 but I would expect most 40-50k lb jet aircraft to stop in about 4000 ft with wheel brakes and spoilers/air brakes. The normal landing distance in this sim seems more like 6000-8000ft, and that's coming in at 140kias.