Radeon HD 7970 Inbound

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've posted while ago that I've tried CoD and it was running good, there is still some stuttering though over land so it's not as good as I'd like it to be.

wait for the next patch, it should be a different story...;)

the hope is on the next patch, with alot of changes.

There is a next patch?

Last I heard they had stopped patching it until the expansion sequel comes.. I would like to be proven wrong though :) It badly needs a patch.

Performance in CloD was good for me when overclocked no stutters. Although still not vsync 60 but you can't have everything. The rest of the game is lacking a bit though so I went back to IL2 1946 4.11 with ultra pack and lots of mods. It's quite nice when you pimp it a bit with nice cockpits and skins, maps, textures etc.

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

I am now very certain that Aero is to blame for my crashes. I just tried 12.2 preview driver that's been modified to be able to be used with HD7970 (Thanks for the link Mustang) and they seem pretty good. The flickering of the powerlines I was seing before is now gone, some flickering of the cloud that I saw before is gone also.

link to thread with modified 12.2 preview driver: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=357820

So, back to Aero... the moment I turn Aero theme on and start DCS A-10C it will crash, the moment I unpaused the mission driver crashed within a second... it recovered some 20-25sec later and within 10seconds crashed again. Went back to turn off Aero theme and use Windows Classic theme again... and DCS A-10C runs fine... even without SoftTH I can export MFD's, have my mods (increased visibility distance and denser grass/bushes) and it runs just fine, no stuttering at all... but mind you I always turn off "AMD External Events Utility" in Services as this always gives me micro stutters every 2sec.

So to anyone having trouble with DCS and 7970 I would recomend to try turnning off Aero theme and use no aeri theme instead as this definitely makes a difference on my system (which is by the way still not overclocked because I want to make sure the crashes are not due to unstable overclock)

No longer active in DCS...

yes, it's part of AMD drivers... I just stop the service and change it to manual so it doesn't start with windows. I have found out long time ago that it's what giving me microstutters and when I turn the service off those stutters are gone and game is very nice and smooth.

Glad you found out what the problem was for you Kuky, hopefully these crashes leave you alone now.

• Like 1

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

yes, it's part of AMD drivers... I just stop the service and change it to manual so it doesn't start with windows. I have found out long time ago that it's what giving me microstutters and when I turn the service off those stutters are gone and game is very nice and smooth.

ok thanks, I just did a removal so it won't bother me anymore:

"sc delete "AMD External Events Utility"

More good news... with this modified 12.2 preview driver the grass/bushes looks superb! I have 8xQ AA enabled in game and in CCC set to Adoptive AA, all grass/bushes textures have really nice AA on them and are not flickering at all... to have this same effect before on HD5870 I had to enable Super Sample AA option in CCC which really kills frame rate. I am starting to really like this card now :)

Also, had nother run of Sunset Sierra mission for about 40min and it ran great... no crash, no flickering or artifacts anywhere to be seen... only on landing I got broken front wheel... been getting this broken wheel on take off/landing quite often now :(

Edited by Kuky

There is a next patch?

Last I heard they had stopped patching it until the expansion sequel comes.. I would like to be proven wrong though :) It badly needs a patch.

Performance in CloD was good for me when overclocked no stutters. Although still not vsync 60 but you can't have everything. The rest of the game is lacking a bit though so I went back to IL2 1946 4.11 with ultra pack and lots of mods. It's quite nice when you pimp it a bit with nice cockpits and skins, maps, textures etc.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=29368 posted today by B6

They will get there, once CoD has workign AA and fixed those mirrors (on my ned they are bugged) and sort out that stuttering, this will be much better sim then IL-2 was. I agree things are not as simple in coding like before and to give more detail into everything it does take more time... you can see it's same with any developer that wants to create something really good.

Same with ED and their DCS modules, same with fighterops, Falcon BMS, Cod... anything really... I'm thinking now I should go easier on them and just enjoy what I have now.

Is ClOD OpenGL or Direct3D?

Reason i'm asking is this - has anyone tried using InjectSMAA with that sim?

It's DirectX

PS: just did another 40min run and no crash... A-10 runs great... I think I cured it :)

Edited by Kuky

Nothing new in there for CloD. Just Luthier lamenting how complicated everything is. No ETA for the patch, nothing what will be fixed in it, etc ...

I agree, it doesn't really tell us anything concrete except maybe what the I-16 looks like. I still have it installed but don't play it much until something new comes.

PS: just did another 40min run and no crash... A-10 runs great... I think I cured it :)

Cool, can you confirm you're running in full screen mode?

Did you need to do any whacky uninstall utilities to put the new driver?

Or just standard uninstall/install?

I think too that it's a driver issue, for me at least dsabling this aero theme helps and I can live with that. Before with my HD5870 I also has better frame with Aero on because I was running windowed mode, and now for the moment at least I can't run Aero or the driver keeps crashig.

I am using SoftTH now also because without it I can't get V-sync and it works fine... to bad you guys can't sort yours yet.