Radeon HD 7970 Inbound

AMD has put up these drivers for HD7970 in their standard driver search

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/radeon-7900-series.aspx

(amd_radeon_hd7900_win7_64.exe)

and with these BMS crashes straight away also... I've installed 8.921.2_Dec_20_Win7_x64-@asder00 one more time and BMS runns fine again... DCS A-10C still crashes though :(

No longer active in DCS...

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3DMark11 default Performance(P) benchmark

CPU clock 4.2GHz / GPU clock 925MHz / default CCC setings ...... Score: P7664

CPU clock 4.2GHz / GPU clock 1125MHz / default CCC setings ..... Score: P8648

AMD has put up these drivers for HD7970 in their standard driver search

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/radeon-7900-series.aspx

(amd_radeon_hd7900_win7_64.exe)

and with these BMS crashes straight away also... I've installed 8.921.2_Dec_20_Win7_x64-@asder00 one more time and BMS runns fine again... DCS A-10C still crashes though :(

That's one i tryed without succes. I've launched furmark without troubles for half an hour today (using unofficial from this thread), but i'am unable to run 'modern' games for more than 10 minutes without crash.

• Like 1

:music_whistling:

This was'nt intended to offend any one, by modern i meant using DX 11 and heavily relying on eye candy, which is not really the case with DCS serie (and doesn't hurt). If this is an answer to having problems with unofficial drivers, i tried various official drivers before trying unofficial, didn't have time yet to go back to old (and slow) drivers from original cd, but i consider retrying them.

That's why it sucks to buy something when it 1st comes out, look at all the Warthog guinea pigs there were. Hope this gets sorted out for you guys, I know you guys are itching to see what this card can do!

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

How long does ATI normally take to produce good drivers after a new card?

My trigger finger is still itchy for this card but I want to see positive results for you guys first.. Well we should say thanks for being the guinea pigs :)

Do either of you own Rise of Flight and would be able to test if it works too?

It's free to play anyway if you haven't http://www.riseofflight.com

My two favorite sims, if I see ROF and DCS work on this then I will buy an XFX 7970

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

The HD7970 does indeed run prety good... as I said with BMS I can crank all the in game options to its max and still get 60fps stable... only once I enable the highest quality AA in CCC (Super-Sample AA) then it drops to 35-45fps or so average. BMS is definitely not CPU bound even with my i7 950 on stock speed... but FC2 is very CPU bound (where it matters most) such as over large populated area (cities). I think DCS runs better than FC2 from the little I could use before driver crashes... but granted I haven't tried running multi-monitor config yet, it was only 1x 24" 1920x1200 screen tried.

Oh one more thing, before I installed this card I always had D3DOverrider running (starts with Windows and I never shut it down) because FC2 can't have V-sync working in full screen mode... with this new card, or shoud I say driver for it, when I got D3DOverrider running again, I get this error message that MMLoadDriver.exe, that starts graphics card game profiles, would not be able to start. Disabling D3DOverrider and it works fine again. This now means I can't use D3DOverrider and have to run FC2 in windowed mode also so that I can have Aero enable V-sync... this isn't a big deal for me.

Yeah, tell me about it, I'll figure it out or play it when I get a new computer or do a windows reinstall.

Hi Cali, So your TrackIR 5 and v5 software works ok stand-alone (sorry if you already posted elsewhere) ? It works ok for FC2 and A-10C for you, yes?

You tried deleting the TrackIR profiles out of BlackShark2 so it could redetect the device on startup? I have had a TrackIR issue once (for FC2) I found and deleted (actually, just renamed, call me paranoid) the TrackIR configs inside FC2 and then restarted the game. TrackIR then worked for me again.

Never seen that problem either. Sounds like you have had real issues with getting peripheral hardware to run correctly on your machine for a while now, HOTAS, TIR5 etc.

I hope some one can help you get it sorted out soon. :)

Best of luck.

Out

Haven't had any issues really, if your talking about the Cougars 2 summers ago that wasn't my fault. TrackIR works fine with every other sim I have except BS2. I should do a reformat but I hoping to get a new computer in a few months. My computer really isn't up to running BS2 all that great anyway, I can wait.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Hi Cali, So your TrackIR 5 and v5 software works ok stand-alone (sorry if you already posted elsewhere) ? It works ok for FC2 and A-10C for you, yes?

You tried deleting the TrackIR profiles out of BlackShark2 so it could redetect the device on startup? I have had a TrackIR issue once (for FC2) I found and deleted (actually, just renamed, call me paranoid) the TrackIR configs inside FC2 and then restarted the game. TrackIR then worked for me again.

Tried it, but I'll try again, I'm not all that worried right now, my computer sucks and could get a new one in a few months.

Back topic, Kuky any luck?

No luck with DCS Cali... tried again this morning and it still crashes within minutes, sometimes seconds. Sometimes I don't even have have to unpause the sim and it still crashes... this really sucks

• Like 1

Yet another driverset turns up today

AMD Catalyst 11.12 WHQL (8.921.5 December 29) [HD7/6/5 Win7 x64/x86]

Build Info:

DriverVer=12/29/2011, 8.921.5.0000

8.921.5-111229a-131232C-ATI

Sign date: January 9 (Microsoft WHQL)

might be worth trying if you feel up to it :)

Nice one Mustang! That card is a beast. I bet it screams with the right driver. :)

Out

No luck with DCS Cali... tried again this morning and it still crashes within minutes, sometimes seconds. Sometimes I don't even have have to unpause the sim and it still crashes... this really sucks

have you tried 11.6 drivers or even softTH to get it working?

Its pretty disgusting, cards are with customers and still no decent driver.

But what can you do, NVidia can't match this performance or eyefinity features, now AMD are the new kings.

I hope they are working weekends to get drivers out..

I hope they are working weekends to get drivers out..

They aren't, I think I saw some of the devs at Red Lobster. :D

Yet another driverset turns up today

Build Info:

might be worth trying if you feel up to it :)

Thanks Mustang... I'm downloading the driver now.. lets see if it's any better.

By the way I am getting those miniDP -> VGA adaptors delivered today (FeDex kicks ass when it comes to fast and accurate delivery times) hopefully I'll be able to connect the two 8" monitors for MFD's to MiniDP ports... I don't think 4th monitor can work though, only 3 unless you use display port hub

King of what? Which game? In 2008, ATI claimed to be the fastest in the world, and it turned out to be for only 1 game. I'm still stuck with a brick that has pretty colored text and can play a mean game of TIC TAC TOE..

:music_whistling:

King of Eyefinity, Nvidia can't do multi monitor unless you want to take the risky stuttery multi-GPU route. Also the 1.5gb VRAM chokes when I add a second screen. That is why this NVidia fan is considering leaving Nvidia for this card.

But so far I've only seen good results for mainstream games, very bad performance reports on x-plane 10, not working on DCS, no word on Rise of Flight yet.

The next NVidia is expected to be about 6-9 months away, otherwise I would consider a GTX680 4GB, and use SoftTH.

Build Info:

DCS A-10C still crashes with this driver... the screen got completely black and driver did not recover... I had to do manual power down on the PC.

BMS still works fine with this driver.

And now little bit of the good news... I have found out that my Sapphire HD7970 actually CAN run 4 monitors! This is how I have them connected:

- HD7970 MiniDP 1 ... Startech MiniDP -> VGA adapter model: MDP2VGA ... to 8" screen (display 1) *adapter does not come with Sapphire HD7970 bundle

- HD7970 MiniDP 2 ... Startech MiniDP -> VGA adapter model: MDP2VGA ... to 8" screen (display 2) *adapter does not come with Sapphire HD7970 bundle

- HD7970 HDMI Port ... HDMI cable to 24" screen (display 3) *HDMI cable is included with Sapphire HD7970 bundle

- HD7970 DVI Port ... DVI -> VGA adapter ... to 7" touchscreen (display 4) *DVI -> VGA adapted is included with Sapphire HD7970 bundle

On this link you can find AMD Eyefinity validated dongles/adapters: http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

I got mine MiniDP -> VGA adapters of ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/370553524699?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I should add that I just noticed that while PC is booting, the boot screen is not displayed on my 24" monitor that's connected to HDMI port and it stays blank (at first I thought the monitor died :music_whistling:).

The boot screens are shown on 1st monitor connected to 1st miniDP port (on I/O panel is port furthest away from DVI port) and 2nd monitor connected to 2nd miniDP port. I guess I could connect main monitor to MiniDP port via MiniDP -> DP adapter, but that would mean I would need to buy again HDMI -> VGA adapter so I won't bother with this and leave it as is with least number of adapters required for my setup.

So, once windows is loaded all 4 show image.

Edited by Kuky

DCS A-10C still crashes with this driver... the screen got completely black and driver did not recover... I had to do manual power down on the PC.

Well that utterly blows :(

There might be some light at the end of this tunnel though, going by what this post says we might get some love for DCS

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1336807185&postcount=19

Spyre is an AMD Catalyst beta tester, if he can get a word in about these problems it *should* get resolved, fingers crossed.