Moving Map on kneeboard?

MACADEMIC

From the latest FAQ issue:

Q: Does the DCS P-51D include any modern avionics?

A: The DCS P-51D will include a moving map on the pilot's "kneeboard" to aid in navigation. As in Black Shark, the player will be able to set the pilot body in the cockpit on and off in-game, which will also enable/disable the moving map. Also, the pilot 3D model is based on a contemporary pilot's flight suit and head gear.

---------------

Hm...I very much hope this will not be like an iPad strapped to the pilot's leg? It would be okay for flying around in a modern day setting, but for creating a WWII feeling in user designed missions it would be rather an immersion killer. Perhaps there could be an option to replace a moving map with a conventional/historical one on the kneeboard, no flashy icons on it, just selfmade markings (course plotted, targets marked) in a realistic style? Ability to zoom in on the map, flip it over, refold it (that's quite an art in real life) make new markings in flight...just as the guys in the old days would have used a map.

By the way I'm aware of the option of clicking away the 3D pilot, but wouldn't want to do that as I feel this adds to immersion.

Thoughts, opinions?

MAC

*Thread sanitized - Constructive and On-Topic Gentlemen if you please*

Ta

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

@ MACADEMIC: Would be a "nice to have" if it is a option to turn on and off in the menu.

For me personally it is much important to be able to force the moving map ON/OFF by the mission editor. In my eyes a moving map in this aircraft is like cheating.

Edited by =STP= Dragon

.....Sigh** well if the mission editor wants to create a WWII scenario.... then I'm sure they will disable the knee pad in the mission parameters.

*please viper, no more BB's :P

• Like 1

4w24cLi.png?4

Voice of Jester AI

Death From Above =DFA= Squadron Discord - https://discord.gg/deathfromabove

http://www.twitch.tv/graywo1f

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lonewo1fg

A moving map and/or "useful information on kneepads" has been a long requested and desired feature by the community as a whole. It is nice to see that this is planned to be implemented. I hope that it might be more than a simple moving map, perhaps have information or images from the mission briefing on it, or at the least a text editor of sorts where you can leave important mission notes. In terms of it as a map, well look at the ARMA map or the other threads suggesting the idea. As a suggestion towards the "immersion killing", perhaps its functionality can be forced by the mission like so many other settings are.

Edited by 159th_Viper
Rule 1.3

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Maybe the P-51 pilot bought one of those clip on Sat-navs for aircraft that can added or removed from the aircraft... more options the better.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Doh! Sorry, I misinformed you. In fact the map is not moving. It just allows you to cycle through different "pages", which is to say center the view on consequtive route waypoints and switch scales. That's it.

Now to change the FAQ.

Sounds much better. :thumbup:

But the map will not display your own position, i hope? :)

Doh! Sorry, I misinformed you. In fact the map is not moving. It just allows you to cycle through different "pages", which is to say center the view on consequtive route waypoints and switch scales. That's it.

Now to change the FAQ.

Thanks, sounds very good!

MAC

Negative Ghostrider the pattern is full.

Fix it for you. :D

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Sounds much better. :thumbup:

But the map will not display your own position, i hope? :)

Negative.

As I understand the map will display the own position?

In this case, will there be an option to disable the own position display, so one has to navigate by landmarks, dead reckoning? Also a forced Off/Switch in MP?

Thanks,

MAC

No, the map will not display own position.

Any chance to make this optional? Or will the F10 view still work? I fear I'll get lost pretty easily in Georgia without EGI, HARS, TACAN.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Any chance to make this optional? Or will the F10 view still work? I fear I'll get lost pretty easily in Georgia without EGI, HARS, TACAN.

Better learn how to fly by using the stars and landmarks :D

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

actually, even if you turn off the kneepad/cockpit view pilot, you're still a usaf pilot in a nomex flight suit and helmet. check out the screenshots of the external view.

unless they plan to make two versions. one with historical pilot. and i don't see that happening. the plane model itself ncludes the pilot model...unless this changed in new engine version.

imo they only added combat ability to satisfy people who will cry about not being able to use it in multiplayer. it's supposed to be an airshow plane.

Mission designers could include images for use in the knee boards to aid in navigation based off landmarks. I wonder would this be possible? Or even target location photos?

for that you have an ingame briefing. but yes maybe it was good to see the briefing also on the knee board