DAYZ Mod for ArmA 2

Pyroflash

I am going to start this one off with an apology. An apology that I forgot to make a post here about this last week.

So what exactly is DAYZ? Well, it is sort of an unofficially officially developed mod for ArmA 2 that places the players on the island of Chernarus along with a zombie infestation. But that isn't what makes DAYZ so great. The reason this one is so special is that it is totally persistent; and not just on one server either. All of your stats and data are recorded in semi-real time to a master server, wherein they are retrieved by any other terminal server running the mod should you decide to reconnect. This means that if one server is full, you can simply hop around to another server and still have all of your gear.

Now I know some of you could care less about the above mumbo jumbo, so this is where I start getting into the gameplay. The first thing that you have to remember about this is that it is based off of ArmA 2. For most of you who are experienced with past BIS titles, you will immediately come to the conclusion that this is going to be a slow paced game. And when I mean slow, I am talking about hoofing it around with no vehicles (they are very rare, and when you do find one, you have to look around for the parts required to fix it), in an open world, where every time you walk through any semblance of a town you are going to be doing it crouched or crawling.

That being said, if you can get past that (I reckon most people here are quite used to slow paced games by now), this mod has some very interesting things to present. The first and most obvious thing is the zombies. They are your typical meandering, moaning, brainless creatures. What they aren't however, is slow. If you manage to alert one while outdoors, it will run with all the haste of a gazelle trying to avoid getting eaten by a cheetah. It will catch you, and it will do so in a very short amount of time. The only things that will slow them are changes in elevation (hills, ladders, or stairs), or forcing them indoors (they can't navigate very well indoors and stop running). That being said, there is nothing in the way of physical objects that will stop a zombie. If you got up to that tower, so can they (even if they have to stumble a few times). Thus it is more prudent to try and avoid the Z's than to actually fight them. This can be done in many ways, the first is to realize that they only spawn inside and near structures. If you run out into a field or forest, the chances of having an encounter with the undead are minimal at worst. The second method of avoidance is to crouch down and attempt to avoid them. Their maximum sight range is about three feet, and they can't hear very well. Though if you go sprinting down the middle of the highway, they will probably come running after you. The last way is to simply kill them all, though this might take quite a bit more ammo than expected at first glance.

Stuff, not not like the filler word, but equipment. If you want to live longer than a few hours, you will have to start looking for supplies. Most supplies (canned foods, beverages, and containers) that you will end up needing to survive are fairly common, however this is not the ArmA that most people are used to, and commodities such as weapons and ammunition are extremely scarce. Adding to this is the fact that you start off with only a revolver and six magazines means that you will need to find ammunition and a second gun rather quickly or end up out of options. And if regular guns weren't hard enough to find, military grade equipment (Ak-74's, M4's, nvg's, etc.) are even harder to acquire, and the easiest way to go about finding them is sadly, to kill another player and steal his junk.

The PvP in this mod is fairly unrestricted, and extremely harsh. If killed, you will lose all of your stuff, and there is virtually no penalty to go about killing other players at will. This produces a few whiners, though actually not as much as one would expect. The only reconciliation you get as a player just starting out is that if someone kills you with an M-240B, or an M4A3, your life is probably worth less than his bullets.

So now that the explaining is done, it is video time.

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

Who made this mod? BIS or a user? I remember playing a zombie map with a bunch of 3sqn guys years ago.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

One of the BIS devs developed the majority of this mod. there are however, a host of community members who contributed a great deal to it. Anyways, this just came out recently (Mid April), and is still in early alpha.

http://www.mediafire.com/dayz

Keep in mind that the code portion of this mod is updated fairly regularly, and depending on the bug severity, it could change many times in the course of a few hours. Thus if you get kicked off for having the wrong files or some such, it might very well be because the server is running a newer version of one or more of the files (usually the "DayZ_code_xxxxx" one) than you are.

There is no "for server use", as it links to a dedicated database server, and requires specifically set up configurations to run. As such it is currently impossible to simply run the mission on your own server without first getting it added to the list by a DayZ database moderator.

Right now, you are limited to playing it on the handful of dedicated servers that are specifically set up for this mod. The good news is that they are always populated, and are located all around the world.

Edited by Pyroflash

Ummm Left for dead ARMA 2..

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

So I played for a couple of hours last night. It was fun, hard, buggy, and dark. I did have a few hours in daylight, I had a lot more fun in the day light than I did in the night. it would be cool if it was on a 4 hour day cycle. Cause the only time I'm going to be able to play is at night. And ARMA is dark. For those who dont know, the server is on real time.

Gameplay is surprisingly well put together. If you've played ARMA, you know what to expect.

Load times the 1st time you play are loooonnng! It's not your pc. After the 1st time it loads better.

This will be a great little zombie shooter when its done. It's not your left for dead. It's really feels like someone made a stalker online game, with no quicksave.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

I want to play this so bad! I just can't get it to work. I have a physical copy of ARMA 2 and I bought OA and BAF on steam. So essentially I have combined operations but I can't get them to recognize I own ARMA 2 which is a requirement for Dayz. Maybe it will work in a later release.

Have a look in regedit

hklm/software/Bohemia Interactive

hklm/software/Bohemia Interactive Studio

Make sure the reg values point to your install dir

Hey shadowze I dug into the registry fix and I think I pointed ARMA 2 to the right direction... but I have to admit my hax skills have dulled over the years. Could you show me exactly how the registry should look? I keep getting insane x.pbo errors when I try and join a game. Also when I am at the main menu I can't get it to say ARMA 2 with @DayZ under it. Just @DayZ.

What he means to say Stickers, is that you should put your Arma 2 directory in the Steam common folder and then redirect regedit's information on Arma 2 to its new location.

Worked for me and I had the exact same problem as you...and with the help of your post here, fixed that problem.

Okay, so I am at Day 3 with my first life! I don't even know what happens when you die! I have to say this is probably one of the best multiplayer experiences I have ever had! I feel like I could write a short story about my life in the game so far. I have helped a guy and his girlfriend get loot, I have been shot by bandits and narrowly escaped, I have bled out to the absolute limit by zombie attacks, and I have killed one survivor in a castle after he scared the shit out of me (he had uncooked meat and blood packs... just what I needed).

I don't even really get into Zombie kind of games and I am just loving all of this. Plus my two years of Russian are coming in use navigating the land without a map or when I am on a Russian server I can keep an eye on what they are saying.

If you haven't played this yet... you are missing out on the best gaming experience of 2012. If you come accoross Stickers on a server... let me know you play ED games and I'll consider not accidentally shooting you. :)

Okay, so I am at Day 3 with my first life! I don't even know what happens when you die! I have to say this is probably one of the best multiplayer experiences I have ever had! I feel like I could write a short story about my life in the game so far...
Same here. After playing dayz I'd like to write one page in diary every time when I'm leaving server.

Be careful and trust no one. Maybe we will meet on the server.

PVAF

"A fighter without a gun... is like an airplane without a wing" dedicated to F-4 Phantom

Well Stickers, your posts do seem to suggest you have a problem with accidentally shooting folks. :music_whistling:

But if y'all ever run across an "archer" in Chernarus, lemme know you're from the forums. I'll trust ya more, and it's better to have more friends than enemies the way I see it. :D

Be carefull you dont catch a cold and get infected by zombies or other players that are allready infected.

* [NEW] Server cleanup system replaced with a more agressive one

* [NEW] Inventory Interaction system (right-click on items in gear screen to bring up interactions)

* [NEW] Temperature System now implemented (effects are limited)

* [NEW] Chance of catching an infection the lower your temperature

* [NEW] Chance of catching an infection from already infected players

* [NEW] Water can be filled in ponds, all water pumps, wells, but not the sea

* [NEW] Forced disconnection saving for abort and alt+F4

* [NEW] Zombie's will investigate player deaths

* [NEW] Bandaging Sound when bandaging yourself/someone

* [NEW] Coughing sound when you have an infection

* [NEW] Camera Shake when temperature drops extremely low

* [NEW] PROTIP: Use Global Chat/VOIP in populated areas

* [NEW] Fire requires wood to keep burning

* [NEW] Various Loot spawn balancing changes

* [FIXED] Should not be pellets for the Winny

* [FIXED] Helicopter loot despawning too fast

* [FIXED?] Too many zombies for the Carebears to be able to play

* [FIXED] Fog is way too thick

* [FIXED] Climbing a ladder with a pistol will cause you to fall

* [FIXED] Zombies not attracted to Flares and Chemlights

* [FIXED] Panic noises going apeshit all the time

* [FIXED] Zombie spotted alert far too quiet (increased slightly)

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.