DCS P-51D QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

P-51D Steering while Taxi...

Hi everyone,

Would like to hear about the different methods some Mustang pilots use to steer while they are moving along the ground. I myself have tried wheel brake steering, rudder steering as well as a combination of both and I still find it takes forever to get into position due to a lack of control. Often enough I find myself either doing extensive donuts at one moment, then tail wheel steering with the rudder not giving adequate input to cause the plane to swing left or right. Will say the stick is completely forward whenever I am trying to use the tail wheel steering and it remains forward during the entire menuaver.

If you don't own a pair of simming rudder pedals with good toe brakes, then don't even try unlocking the tailwheel. Ever. Just leave it locked, and deal with being unable to easily make a tight turn while taxiing. If you have a good pair of pedals with toe brakes, however, then use a brake to get your aircraft straightened out when you want to lock the tailwheel again.

Hi everyone,

Would like to hear about the different methods some Mustang pilots use to steer while they are moving along the ground. I myself have tried wheel brake steering, rudder steering as well as a combination of both and I still find it takes forever to get into position due to a lack of control. Often enough I find myself either doing extensive donuts at one moment, then tail wheel steering with the rudder not giving adequate input to cause the plane to swing left or right. Will say the stick is completely forward whenever I am trying to use the tail wheel steering and it remains forward during the entire menuaver.

Hi there,

Steering the Mustang is really quite nice once you get used to her. From a hardware standpoint, it is much easier to taxi her if you have rudder pedals and Toe brakes. If I'm taxing at speed, I usually leave the tail wheel locked and just used the 6 degrees that you have available. If I need to slow and taxi around a Tight corner, I slow down, Push the stick forwards to unlock the tail wheel and move the rudder in the direction I want to turn, giving a short burst of power at the same time. If you don't get a response, you can also slight press the wheel brake (Left if you want to turn left, Right if you want to turn Right) to initiate the turn. I then use the opposite wheel to stop the aircraft from ground looping. She's really very comfortable when you know what to expect.

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

Page 137 of the P-51 flight manual states:

After Takeoff

Turn on the gun heaters. book.gif

Thanks!

Should point out that Page 137 is part of the "Cold Weather Operation" part of the manual.

Unfortunately there's no mention of what cold weather actually is, apart from a mention later on about turning on carb heat on landing approach if it's lower than -12c outside.

As far as I understand it in DCS (or general flying of the P51), you don't need Pitot or Gun heat for "normal" conditions.

Edited by Buzzles

Mustang takeoff

Sorry if this is in the wrong place or has already been covered.

When I try to take off in game mode, engine running; after releasing brake and increasing throttle, the plane won't move.

Please, I'm no master of the sky,:helpsmilie: just want to toottle around and shoot the guns, then land.

I saw some videos...Sometimes I just loose control as if I was blacked out but I see everything perfectly. I don't see anything in the options.

I don't have Black out effect, how to enable it?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Hi,

Options :

Options Menu - Misc - Head-effect G-force

and

Mission Editor - Customize - Game Options - G-Effect - realistic

I have it on... still nothing:joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Sorry if this is in the wrong place or has already been covered.

When I try to take off in game mode, engine running; after releasing brake and increasing throttle, the plane won't move.

Please, I'm no master of the sky,:helpsmilie: just want to toottle around and shoot the guns, then land.

Are you using rudder pedals? It's possible the brakes are reversed. Try holding the brakes and throttle up, if the plane moves and then stops when you release the brakes they are reversed and can be edited in the options/tune axis menu.

Or maybe the rudder pedal brakes are not assigned? Pressing the W key should release the parking brake if it is set at the start of your mission and allow you to move.

• 3 weeks later...