Scientists to unveil proof of ‘God particle’

diveplane

Blefgh... "God" particle...

It's the "Higgs Boson", not the "God Particle". Damn media. :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

How many times did I hear about the gravitons and the gravitational waves travailing with the speed of light? Plenty of times on TV. Even Pro scientist don’t agree about the nature of “time” considering the proven non locality phenomenon.

So what is it? The whole place is filled with particles but when it comes to a simple photon ride, it’s a, it’s a… What is it?

Ok… I’m an x-ray photon, I have an array of short waves and forces around me and I’m happily travelling with the speed of light, I don’t have a mass and I can fly thru electrons and see a bone (a little bit).

So I’m flying thru space and looking around as usual and then suddenly a graviton pulls up and says: you don’t even have to anything, you will fly in a strait line towards a black hole, I soon told him to f***k off I’m miles away from it but then it changed my course and turned me into a visible photon and now I can be seen with naked eye, much less with sun glasses.

I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully.

In theory, it is an elementary particle "The Higgs boson" particle that would explain the existence of mass in other elementary particles (photons-massless) Y (bosons with relatively high mass).

This image shows that left trace Boson particles to collide. Hence the hypothesis of its existence and the need to explain the origin of the different mass in other elementary particles, that is speaking very generally.

650px-CMS_Higgs-event.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson

Edited by manfrez01
gramatic

A Higgs-Boson walks into a church. A priest immediately bars the way and declares, "we don't allow your kind in here." The Higgs-Boson then asks, "but without me, how can you have mass?"

Most elegant thing I've ever read on the internet.

"In two weeks!"

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

Blefgh... "God" particle...

It's the "Higgs Boson", not the "God Particle". Damn media. :P

For a moment I thought you wrote Higgs Bosom and I was like, nooo...

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

What’s the difference?

My point is that the whole "God Particle" gives the wrong context to it. It is a "god particle" in only pretty much the same way the quarks were - needed for the model to work, but not yet "found". (Then the quarks were found and identified, and thus stopped being mysterious.)

There's nothing specifically "godly" about the Higgs Boson. It is needed for the universe to work according to current models, but so are gluons, quarks etcetera etcetera.

Personally, I almost hope they don't find it - the ramifications of that would be so much more interesting than a "well, so it is like we expected". :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Personally, I almost hope they don't find it - the ramifications of that would be so much more interesting than a "well, so it is like we expected". :P

You read too much Nitzsche? :)

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

lol, I did read a bit of Nietzsche when I was in high school, but don't remember much of it.

It's more just a general disposition thing I guess - it would be more interesting if what comes out of this is that something with the "model" is majorly wrong rather than just confirming it. It's always more interesting when things don't turn out as expected. :)

If I were to bet money though, I'd place it on the Higgs getting identified.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

lol, I did read a bit of Nietzsche when I was in high school, but don't remember much of it.

It's more just a general disposition thing I guess - it would be more interesting if what comes out of this is that something with the "model" is majorly wrong rather than just confirming it. It's always more interesting when things don't turn out as expected. :)

If I were to bet money though, I'd place it on the Higgs getting identified.

im with you on that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pah. Atmospheric interactions with cosmic rays WAY overpower what the LHC could ever do. :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Don't forget that even with the Higgs, the Standard Model is not complete at all. There are still around 20 parameters (coupling contants, masses of quarks and leptons) which are not predicted. The gravity is not described in in quantum theory etc. There is still of lot of work ! :)

And if you had Super-Symmetry, it is worst, you double the number of particles and add a lot of parameters.

For the announce itself, it's strange to make this in a non-member country. I think it will be just a status of the analysis. They will say if the trend observed last year is confirmed are not. The PR of CERN said some months ago that the higgs discovery will be annouced at CERN.

Edited by Togg

I disagree. Both ways are equally exciting - the truth is that there is still a huge amount of stuff that the Standard Model just cannot explain. This only confirms that the standard model is correct so far, but it is far from complete, and there is much more science to be done.

Of course, I wouldn't have complained is a stray ray from the LHC turned me into a superhero. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda