TGP Point Mode

Deflagrate

42 minutes ago, ricktoberfest said:

When you make a point track a SPI, it’s the spot on the ground that your sensors will slew to, not the target- especially if it’s moving. 

If you are successfully POINT tracking a moving target and the SPI is from the TGP, any other slaved sensors will follow the TGP's moving point.   Of course, if your POINT track loses the vehicle, it doesn't help much 🙂

50 minutes ago, Nialfb said:

I have noticed that the Maverick isn't the sure fire, fire and forget that I thought it was. Sure, if I am in close and personal I can select targets straight from the Maverick seeker and I am pretty confident it is going to do the dirty deed. The only reason I was trying to kill the Shilka from a stand off position is so it can't kill me first. I don't know what the range of the Shilka is but I would imagine I could get quite close, certainly close enough for a definite kill with a maverick, before it kills me.

I have added a JTAC to my training mission so I think I'll get him to las the Shilka and I'll just dump a GBU-12 on it from a great height LOL 🖕 Can a JTAC las a moving target? Just a thought.

I like Yurgo's idea of using the APKWS.

AAA has a max altitude of about 8000' and a range of about 1+ miles.  APKWS has a range of about 6 nm, Maverick's about 10 nm, so either work fine.  Guns are doable with some nads or foolhardiness 🙂 

I don't believe the in-game JTAC can lase moving targets, but not 100% sure

Edited by jaylw314
  • Like 1

Thanks again guys. And particular thanks to Yurgon, I now have 'another' favourite weapon in the M282. I am new to the A-10C so I have been working my way through the munitions and today was the first go on the M282! What a simple rocket to use. I'm too old to be blasting around in mega fast jets and killing things I don't even get to see. My favourite planes are the Su-25T, the Ka-50 III, and now, the A-10C. Of course I also like the simplicity of the war birds, once I get them off the ground in one piece 🤣

3 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

If you are successfully POINT tracking a moving target and the SPI is from the TGP, any other slaved sensors will follow the TGP's moving point.   Of course, if your POINT track loses the vehicle, it doesn't help much 🙂

AAA has a max altitude of about 8000' and a range of about 1+ miles.  APKWS has a range of about 6 nm, Maverick's about 10 nm, so either work fine.  Guns are doable with some nads or foolhardiness 🙂 

I don't believe the in-game JTAC can lase moving targets, but not 100% sure

I have downloaded the CTLD.lua scripts so I might give that a go for the JTAC. I have a number of targets dotted about and the in-game JTAC only calls up the group I allocate in the mission editor. I think the CTLD script allows the JTAC to allocate any target in line of sight.

• Like 1

Game setup - I9-13900K, 3000 MHZ 24 Core 32 Logical Processors, NVIDIA RTX 4090, 42” ASUS 4K OLED monitor, TM HOTAS Warthog, TM TPR Rudder pedals, HP Reverb G2 VR - soon to be Bigscreen VR

4 hours ago, Nialfb said:

Can a JTAC las a moving target?

Should be able to, but there's always a risk that the LOS gets blocked by terrain and the bomb falls dumb. The AI JTAC won't anticipate that, and may unexpectedly say something like "Abort, abort, abort" or so. GBU self-lase should work fine though.

4 hours ago, Nialfb said:

I don't know what the range of the Shilka is [...]

I'm not sure either, but I would estimate that it'll have a hard time hitting anything at 2 NM and I'm fairly certain it won't even fire at 3 NM or more.

In fact, DCS players have made it a sport to kill Shilkas with the GAU-8. Start with good altitude, open fire at around 2 NM, break away aggressively after a 1-second-burst and you should be good. 😉

APKWS definitely outrange the Zu-23 and ZSU-23.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ricktoberfest said:

When you make a point track a SPI, it’s the spot on the ground that your sensors will slew to, not the target- especially if it’s moving. 

Technically true but could me misunderstood by many here. If you make your TGP SPI the SPI is whatever is at the center of your crosshairs. If you have a point track on a mover the crosshairs are following the target. While technically your spi will be the coordinates at the center of the crosshairs, the coordinates and your Spi are constantly moving in synch with the object you are targeting. This is how a GBU-54 derives velocity when used against a mover.

you are correct though that the SPI is the coordinates of the target, and not the actual physical object itself

Edited by ASAP
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, ASAP said:

Technically true but could me misunderstood by many here. If you make your TGP SPI the SPI is whatever is at the center of your crosshairs. If you have a point track on a mover the crosshairs are following the target. While technically your spi will be the coordinates at the center of the crosshairs, the coordinates and your Spi are constantly moving in synch with the object you are targeting. This is how a GBU-54 derives velocity when used against a mover.

you are correct though that the SPI is the coordinates of the target, and not the actual physical object itself

so you're saying if you designate a SPI on a pointrack it should continue to move with the vehicle?  That's not my understanding but I could easily be wrong

17 minutes ago, ricktoberfest said:

so you're saying if you designate a SPI on a pointrack it should continue to move with the vehicle?

That is correct.  Remember, you're designating the sensor's target, not a point in space.  If it says TGP in the lower left corner of the HUD, your SPI is whereever the TGP happens to be looking that very moment.

Edit: it also means if your TGP loses the POINT track, you're going to have a very bad day 🙂 At least until you fix it!

Edited by jaylw314
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1