Landing correctly

morgon

I second that ^

But the distance to the runway itself can be confusing. I mean usually, the waypoint is center runway, not the edge. How to remedy?

You can use your pitch scale in the HUD to get the correct approach angle. Line up with the runway then fly to put the runway halfway between the 0 and -5 pitch lines. That'll be close to the 3 degree slope you need. Then put the VV on the threshold and adjust throttle until the AOA indexer indicates you're on speed.

roger

I second that too.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Or.... you take a 'space shuttle flying brick' aproach... :wacko:

[...]

- The speed can be at 300 +, apply flaps 1, gear down, this is the pre-brake stage.

[...]

That sounds like fun. Can you do that and record a track for our entertainment? :lol:

Just one tiny detail: the flaps won't come down at more than ~190kts and will automatically retract if the A-10 goes faster. If you crash on your space shuttle style approach, blame it on that. :thumbup:

I was just about to land after a test mission and i decided to Fraps it to demonstrate how i do the straight in approaches. Nothing fancy, nothing complicated. But it's a 100% success every time with this procedure.

Edited by Dejjvid

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

Any truth to the braking being calculated on a wet runway causing very inefficient wheel braking?

Braking will be worse in any wheeled vehicle on a wet surface since friction is reduced. Plus the pilot needs to be more careful applying brakes since the surface may not be uniformly wet.

An important thing IRL is plant the wheels firmly, not gently. You need to break the surface tension and get the wheel on the runway surface otherwise they can aquaplane, which can generate enough heat to cook the tires.

Other than that it probably depends a bit on the weight of the aircraft and surface area of the tires as to precisely how it reacts to water.

You probably don't have to worry about any of this in any simulation except maybe reduced friction (ie. less effective braking and possibly aircraft skidding) when it rains.

It is also effected by tire pressure. It wasn't a major point, but this was part of flight training back in the day when i had first started flight training.

It is directly related to the square root of the tire pressure. According to testing cited by the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) the speed at which a normal tire will begin to hydroplane is 10.35 x the square root of the tire pressure. So, if the recommended tire pressure for your vehicle is 36psi, the speed at which you can expect to hydroplane would be 62 mph. Let that tire pressure go down to 25psi and you're hydroplaning speed drops down to 52mph!

edit: bad grammar due to typing to fast

Any truth to the braking being calculated on a wet runway causing very inefficient wheel braking?

Are you referring to the discussion about a year ago?

I have no clue if it's implemented in 1.2.0, imho, you don't stop any faster in 1.2.0.

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

Oh, it's true alright. braking sucks in the wet. I just loaded up a quick test to try it out. Hit the brakes after accelerating a bit and almost did a 360 degree sliding spin.

Side note: Our min required landing distance data IRL for the jet I'm currently flying (CRJ 900) increases by as much as up to 40% for wet runways. All depends on the runway, its gradient, other factors etc. calculated by data provided from dispatch... but just to give you an idea. The actual landing distance doesn't increase as much as the required distance (unless you hydroplane of course), but it can be a significant number, too.

Now, consider what an icy, snow-covered runway will do... :P

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

Well- if there is any truth to it (which is what I'm wondering) then I suspect a fair margin. I've always been a bit dubious at how horrible our wheel brakes are but then I stumbled upon two pieces of info:

1) I was landing too fast

2) this wet runway possibility.

I'm getting a bit more confident in my approaches and have been touching down early- fully deploying speed brakes and on most runways I'm able to almost roll to a stop with only a last second partial application of the wheel brakes. Most of this ability came from sliding off way too many runways with every ounce of brake pad I had on the plane turned to dust.

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art