FPS drops and stutters

doveman

I play ARMAII OA will all the DLC´s + ACEII, 60 FPS in wilderness areas and 40/50 in city areas, everything in High settings, this FPS are very fine for ARMA II.

But DCS World is point, sometimes I got 60 FPS, after a refly the FPS drop with no reason, it´s a issue that onlys happen with DCS World, my other games are fine.

Well, as I said, I´ve gave up, maybe in another patch I´ll be able to play this game.

Thanks for you reply, doveman.

Intel 8700K@4.7ghz(all cores) / 32Gb DDR4 /WD Black SN750 Heatsink 500gb (DCS Only) / MSI GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z 8G / Windows 10 PRO / VPC WarBRD Base + Warthog Stick + Foxx Mount / Thrustmaster TPR pedals / Thustmaster MFD / Thrustmaster Warthog throttle + Monstertech chair mount

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play ARMAII OA will all the DLC´s + ACEII, 60 FPS in wilderness areas and 40/50 in city areas, everything in High settings, this FPS are very fine for ARMA II.

But DCS World is point, sometimes I got 60 FPS, after a refly the FPS drop with no reason, it´s a issue that onlys happen with DCS World, my other games are fine.

Well, as I said, I´ve gave up, maybe in another patch I´ll be able to play this game.

A lot of it depends on what the AI is doing in your mission, also keep in mind that engine wise, DCS World has quite a bit more on its plate than FC2.

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

I seem to get the opposite and in cities I get higher (70-80) and in the wild lower (40-60). It seems it doesn't like trees for some reason, as zooming in on them drops about 13 FPS.

I've just been playing the BS2 Cold Start Up Mission and that was running at about 28 FPS for most of it. I guess the snow didn't help but not being able to even maintain 30 FPS when on the ground (i.e. not in combat with lots of other vehicles, A.I.) is really poor. BS2 also crashed right at the end, just as I was about to have a little fly but that might be related to Helios, as after I closed DCSW then Helios crashed as well!

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Fret not fellow pilots. Maybe we will get patched up in the next several weeks and hopefully some optimization will have taken place.

My system is a Core i7 3770K with 16GB (G-Skill) Ram ASUS 670-2GB SSD Drives and Over clocked in most aspects but sill DCSW runs like a pig in some cases. I can look one way and get 90FPS with all setting cranked up and then I swivel my view in TiR 90 degrees and it drops to 30FPS. The crashing issue in MP getting into the lobby is enough to make you mad....

Well, I don´t know if I can give to you support for another game, but...

If you have a Nvidia GPU, try to set the FXAA at Nvidia Control Pannel and leave the AA and AF settings into ARMA II at Normal. The game runs beatiful and more smooth.

You have to play a little with the settings at Nvidia Control Pannel. Also, try to set the Vsync as Adaptive.

Good luck and thanks for the posts too, guys. Let´s shake ED a little bit more.

Intel 8700K@4.7ghz(all cores) / 32Gb DDR4 /WD Black SN750 Heatsink 500gb (DCS Only) / MSI GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z 8G / Windows 10 PRO / VPC WarBRD Base + Warthog Stick + Foxx Mount / Thrustmaster TPR pedals / Thustmaster MFD / Thrustmaster Warthog throttle + Monstertech chair mount

Would be interesting to see what your CPU and GPU is doing when you get those FPS drops.

CPU load going up? GPU load going up? VRAM usage etc.

And I find it strange you didn't notice any difference with the change you did regarding the graphic.cfg file.

And I find it strange you didn't notice any difference with the change you did regarding the graphic.cfg file.

So do I, TZeer.

I´ve tryed every tweak that I found here but nothing seems to work or perhaps minimize the problem a little.

I´ll check CPU, GPU and Vram loads when the problem starts to happen. Can you advise me a program that I can verify those things? I can do this with AIDA64?

Thanks for the advice.

I've already changed it to

structures = {30, 20000};

as well and it hasn't changed the fact I get around 28 FPS on the ground. It may well have helped in the same situation as described in that thread (i.e. flying towards a city) but not on the ground.

@GriffonBR, I recommend HwInfo64 for monitoring your CPU, RAM, GPU usage as it shows the min, current and max values (just tick the Sensors-only box when you run it to prevent it opening extra windows you don't need for this) and GPU-Z for monitoring the VRAM (which HwInfo64 doesn't do for me at least), which you can also set to show max values .

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

I just used task manager for looking at my CPU load and nvidia inspector for checking my gpu/vram usage.

Just a heads up regarding the CPU:

You will see one core that will have more load then any other, but this core will never go up to full 100% usage. It will go at about 80-90% max on the task manager, that's perfectly normal. The percentage give you no indication, since it's an average of load on all cores.

If your CPU is holding you back, you will notice this by CPU load going up while GPU load going down as your FPS goes to shit. If your GPU/VRAM is fully loaded when the FPS goes to shit, your GPU is holding you back.

Could you take a screenshot of your graphical settings?

a lot more happens under the hood with DCS world compared to ARMA 2. all respects u just cant compare arcade games to simulation study sims like DCS world.

DCS WORLD = detailed flight physics/ avionics / weather systems/, depending on what aircraft module u have installed, frame rates will vary.

Edited by diveplane

a lot more happens under the hood with DCS world compared to ARMA 2. all respects u just cant compare arcade games to simulation study sims like DCS world.

DCS WORLD = detailed flight physics/ avionics / weather systems/, depending on what aircraft module u have installed, frame rates will vary.

I think a lot of people would take offence to you calling ArmA2 an "arcade game" ;)

It's funny, because whenever anyone complains about the poor performance of ArmA, they get the same response "You can't compare it to other games, this is a simulation and it has to do a lot more" ;)

That pretty much sums it up.

Another thing to add is Ram. If you hit the max on ram your machine has to access the hard drive more. This will make you stutter big time.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

cpufx.jpgWell, those SS are enough, guys?

Nvidasettings.jpg

Nvidasettings2.jpg

GPUZ.gif

DCSSettings.jpg

i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz

8GB Vengeance 1600Mhz

500 GB Western Digital Blue only for OS.

500 GB Western Digital Blue dedicated only for games. DCS World, FC2 and a lot of other games inside.

MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition OC.

OCZ Modxstream 700w

Dell S2230MX monitor

The funny thing is, the first time that I launch DCS Word (Air to Ground Instant Action) my FPS was 60, after a refly, it dropped to 25/30:doh:)

Thanks one more time.

Are you forcing the using Nvidia's 3d settings, or the game's? Another thing to consider is your CPU temp. How hot is it running at the time? If it is running too hot, performance will suffer big time.

I´m using the Nvidia CP settings.

DCS or Nvidia it dosen´t matter, I´ve already tryed to use the settings of the game but the same problem happens too.

About my CPU / GPU temps, 50 / 45 respectively, at full load. I think that those temps are good, don´t you thinks too?

Thanks

To be honest? I really don't know, man.:noexpression:

Can I set some kind of Process Affinity for DCS World? I mean, leave one core just for it?

Well, I think that I managed to solve my problem. Decreasing the valors of Preload at settings menu I´ve got 60 FPS after some reflys with no shutters, but, when I turn it on my TrackIR 5 I start to get the same damn shutters again.:doh:

I´ve already tried these tips but with no success.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=68060

DCS World looks like a minefield, when you disarm a mine and step forward, you thinks that you can carry on, but... BOOM

Well, I think that I managed to solve my problem. Decreasing the valors of Preload at settings menu I´ve got 60 FPS after some reflys with no shutters, but, when I turn it on my TrackIR 5 I start to get the same damn shutters again.:doh:

I´ve already tried these tips but with no success.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=68060

DCS World looks like a minefield, when you disarm a mine and step forward, you thinks that you can carry on, but... BOOM

What have you set Preload to? I'd like to try that myself and see if it helps me.

80098, man.

Also, I did this.

What worked for me to improve the stutter in previous versions (A10 stand alone, before World) was to delete the DCS folder in C:\Users\yourname\Saved Games\. I noticed that after every crash, the freezing/stutter situation was worse than before until it became unbearable.

My theory is something in that folder gets corrupted. Try to move the DCS folder to the desktop (backup), when you launch World a new one will be created. Run the game, adjust your graphic settings and see if it improves and if it does, and you want to (I didn't do it) you could start bringing the folders one by one to recover your stick settings and stuff to try to determine what was producing the stuttering. Next time you just delete that.

It definitely worked for me. Worth to give it a try if the game was running ok and performance started to degrade. It takes no time to do it.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92975&page=2

The first time that I hit fly with my TrackER ON, worked perfect but in another mission, the same problem happened again.

Well, I´ll keep my test at full throttle here.

Well, my problem now is with the Track IR. With the Track IR program OFF, my DCS World runs like a charm (60FPS:joystick: YES!!!), but when Track IR is ON the same problem starts to happen AGAIN:doh:

Well, I´ll keeping trying:pilotfly:

@doveman, dude, try the tips that I've found . It worked for me(Track IR off), perhaps works for you too.:thumbup:

80098, man.

Also, I did this.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92975&page=2

The first time that I hit fly with my TrackER ON, worked perfect but in another mission, the same problem happened again.

Well, I´ll keep my test at full throttle here.

Thanks man, I'll give that a go.

I think I've probably tried most of the same tips as you. I did even try deleting the DCS folder in Saved Games with the previous install but then I moved to clean Windows and reinstalled DCS from scratch, which created a new Saved Games folder. I think the performance has been poor since installing and I haven't noticed it's got worse but I'll try deleting that folder if I get desperate!

I'm not using TrackIR myself but may use Freetrack some time in the future.

There has always been a stutter problem in DCS: A-10C (wait a bit before you say: hey, this is a forum about DCS World, not DCS: A-10C), sometimes minor, sometimes bigger, depending on the version.

Due to a variety of reasons, i didn't touch DCS: A-10C in almost a year. In the mean time, DCS World came onto the scene and past weekend i decided to install everything from the ground up (the last M$ securityfix for IE made a mess of my previous setup) and install DCS: World with DCS: A-10C.

I noticed that with DCS: World some sort of constant, long lasting stutter occured, very annoying to the point that i would just stop playing.

For the zillionth time i was looking through forums on how to solve this (playing PC games these days is 20% play and 80% solving problems).

Together with the new install, i also installed the latest nVidia video drivers, 306.23

With it i could tangle 2 major stutter problems:

1: Moving from a CRT to an LCD monitor showed stuttering when VSync was set to "on" to counter tearing when framerates went lower then the VSync framerate (the lower your FPS goes under this tresshold, the more microstutter you have). To counter this i already lowered the refreshrate of my LCD to 50Hz and i did set up A-10C so the FPS would stay above that number as long as possible.

The new 306.23 drivers contains (could be already been installed on previous versions but this is the first +300 driver i use) an extra mode in the VSync setting called "Adaptive" which turns off VSync when the framerate is lower the refreshrate of the monitor and turns it on when the FPS is higher.

It has also an extra setting which is called "Adaptive at half the refresh rate" which means that if your monitors refreshrate is 60Hz, your FPS is reduced to 30.

Now if you have a setup with an FPS rate well above this 30 FPS, this microstuttering will almost never show anymore which i believe is a very good thing. I really like this setting.

(PS: This kind of stutter is only noticable if you fly close to fixed objects).

2: I always used the option "CLAMP" for the setting: Texture Filtering: Negative LOD Bias mainly because in all forums was said that this is the option for this setting (almost for every game). And because it changes automatically (in 306.23) to "CLAMP" if you set Anisotropic Filtering to anything else then "Application Controlled" or "Off".

Well, i found that if it is set to CLAMP, there is a major stutter every x seconds in A-10C under DCS: World and that this stutter vanishes for 95% when this option is set to "ALLOW".

So for those who suffer from major stuttering, try to set your Texture Filtering: Neg LOD Bias to "Allow" instead of "Clamp" and turn AF to "Application Controlled and see if there is any improvement. There is a big one for me so 'im a 95% happy camper now.

(All my other games still have this setting set to "Clamp")

PS: I just noticed that there is a new version out. The above is still done with version 1.2.0. (i'll wait a bit before i will install 1.2.1).

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Well I tried reducing the Preload to 90000, Water to Low (was Medium), Shadows to Low (was High), enabling Full-Screen (was still on Windowed from when I was testing with Helios, testing with one monitor now) and disabling Vsync.

I can't say it's made much difference. I still get 40-50 FPS at the start of "Cold Start in Mozdok" when looking straight ahead but this drops to 25 or lower when looking left and about 33 when looking right. I still get major stutter/freezes as well. I've got a profile for DCS in CCC with Tesselation set to "Override Application, Level 1" and "Surface Format Optimisation - Disabled" as recommended.

I have Cat 12.4 installed but was testing with the Cat 12.6 atiumd64.dll (which is the 64-bit dx9 dll) in the bin folder. I'll try again without that, so that it's using the 12.4 one and see if that makes any difference but I doubt it as that's what I've been using before.