P51 issues in 1.2.1

xcom

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to open this post so we can collect issues that are being noticed by the community.

For starters -

1. The new fire burst smoke, it is quite exaggerated.

2. It seems like the bullets are now High Explosives? I don't think the P51 had 50cal HE rounds.

More to come after i have a better chance to test it.

Thanks

The point is if the real .50cals can be fed with HE rounds then let us shoot them.

Modern .50" cal rounds can have some HE content (I don't think they did back in WWII). But it's minuscule in comparison to what a 30x173MM gau-8 HE round can carry.

Speaking from experience, modern .50" call rounds appear to flash (not every type) when they impact a hard target and they do kick up significant debris. Just not nearly as much as we are seeing in this new build. Right now they kick up smoke and dirt bigger than the trees in the sim!:lol:

System specifications: Computer, joystick, DCS world, Beer

I wasn't sure if they take HE rounds, so thanks for clearing that up. I've never shot .50 cal but common sense did tell me these rounds don't throw around that much earth. :D Definitely not a show stopper for me. I'm sure they're aware of it but I guess they figured they'll deal with it in an update.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

I definitely see flashes whenever I see rounds striking aircraft in gun camera videos, but only the cannon rounds make explosions. API just make little spark-like flashes. Not sure what they are; does lead or copper spark when striking aluminum? Or is it some sort of chemical thing?

API just make little spark-like flashes. Not sure what they are; does lead or copper spark when striking aluminum?

Luminescence from bullet and target material turning into plasma.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

AFAIK .50 cal rounds back than (could) have an incendiary element. Probably zirconium powder in the base of the projo. That'll cause a flash on impact.

Rounds like the 30mm API are pyrophoric, meaning that when the DU gets super heated on impact it acts like an incendiary element (basically what Sobek said). A more standard AP round, like those that would have been belted on the P-51 in WWII would be a hardened steel(?) penetrator with a milid jacket. They probably wouldn't spark without an incendiary element unless they hit hardened armor

Edit: Incendiary rounds of p-51 vintage probably didn't use zirconium, and whatever incendiary element was used wouldn't have been in the base of the projo but rather the tip

Edited by SmokeyTheLung

I think Sobek just answered that in his post. Luminescence.

Well, i need to correct myself, because in the case of plasma, it is not luminescence, but incandescence. Luminescence is light emitted from a cold body.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I haven't updated yet, I think the FPS issues are corrected with the latest update, but I'll wait for a few more to chime in. One question, I'm curious about and didn't see any posts regarding differences in takeoff handling. Has anyone noticed differences? I understand the trim and "torque" issues were addressed.

Gear fairing doors won't continue falling if you re-insert the hydr. release valve.

To reproduce:

- Start engine, let hydr. pressure build

- Stop engine

- Pull hydr. release valve, note fairing doors start to drop

- Push hydr. release valve back in, doors remain stationary whenever the valve is in.

Thanks for the post. Does your DCS experience match the guncamera shots? Mine doesn't. The DCS effects are far brighter giving the tracer rounds and impacts more visual substanance than what I see in the videos.

The most noticeable difference to me is the effect of speed on the appearance of the tracer in real life vs DCS.

When shooting real tracers they look like streaks in the sky right out of the barrel, after they ricochet they slow down and look brighter and more circular.

When shooting in DCS they look circular and orb like right out of the barrel, after they ricochet you start to notice the streak effect ED put on the back of the tracer.

It's tough to say on the brightness. In WWII many special tracer rounds were made for aerial combat, including extremely bright ones

check this one out...

• ED Team
Thanks for the post. Does your DCS experience match the guncamera shots? Mine doesn't. The DCS effects are far brighter giving the tracer rounds and impacts more visual substanance than what I see in the videos.

I think they need tweaking for sure... I mean I am sure there is something lost from cameras from WWII as well, I am sure either ED will do some tweaking or someone in the community has already thought about looking into it... either way ED has always been good at fine tuning, I am sure we will see this improve, in the grand scheme of the Mustang though, its only a minor blemish on an exception aircraft.

On thing I might try is making a video from DCS and then trying to adjust the colors and such to match the gun camera footage, just to see if its not partly the quality difference between a WWII era camera and HD simulation from 2012 :)

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png