The DEMON, Flapless Aircraft

LupinYonder

British engineers have released footage of the world's first ''flapless'' plane which uses hundreds of tiny air jets to control its movements.

Thought you guys might be interested in this, cool innovation but I'd love some more detail.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/8033224/Footage-released-of-plane-that-manoeuvres-without-flaps.html

But it is not a new concept; it was tested by Nasa on a f-18; the f-16xl. For the hornet thy used it as means of control the jet and for the f-16xl they used suction air to prevent airflow separation of the wing at supersonic speeds. It would be cool if they could use some kind of magnetic field to keep the air molecules from creating drag on key surfaces of the airplane thus reducing drag.

Savings for efficiency and stealth

On the former, not likely. That air has to come from somewhere... and somewhere is probably the engine.

Using forced air is actually not a new concept. the F-4C "hard wing" for example, used bleed air vents on the upper surface of the wing to energize the boundary layer and help prevent airflow separation. I believe the term for it is just "boundary layer air control."

Example: I never saw a autonomous car while in testing stage without a functional driving wheel and seat.

That is also for cost reasons, they simply can't manufacture a prototype without standard configuration (costs would be astronomical without any benefits). Car industry has largely abandoned physical prototyping.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

seems to both have flaps and be using them in this shot - maybe they were working up to it...

Or maybe as it's a prototype, they use conventional surfaces to trim it to a flyable condition, then test the gas controls from there...

2b3f30d2-9c88-435a-8ac4-18a81dd4a174.Full.jpg

Cheers.