Win8 Compatibility

Hi ED/Testers,

(oh and forummers, stow any all subjective opinion on the topic-matter!!!)

Is DCS:World compatible with Win8 at this stage? I can see no official threads/news on the matter.

If not, is there any scheduled date for compatibility testing/ firmer position?

I'm interested in availaling of MS's 40USD upgrade from 7 at this introductory price; I believe that offer ends in January?

If not, I'll stick with Win7, no harm done.

i7@3.5Ghz, ATI 5870, 16GB RAM, win7 64bit, TH2GO, Track-IR, 4screen pit, TM WArthog HOTAS

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Silly question to 8 users:

If one decides to upgrade from Win7, does that mean that you need to reinstall all your programs etc etc or do they carry over?

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

i have choose fullinstall ... but there is an option for upgrade without reinstall programms!

ARMA 3 SUPPORTER

I7 2600K/ P8P67/ 2x 120GB SSD OCZ Agility 3/ 32GB DDR3/ MSI GTX680 Twin Frozr II /WIN 8 Pro 64-bit/ HOTAS WARTHOG™/ TIR5/ G19

Great to hear Scorpi.

Yeah Viper, £25? It seems oddly cheap for Microsoft! Suspiciously so....

Must be a trap. Run away! ;-)

I really like the look of multiple Start Bars, 1 per monitor, and the reported noticeable increase in various normal desktop use-cases.

For £25 seems like an easy choice.

I'm sure it won't take long to learn to ignore/bypass/euthanize Metro....

i7@3.5Ghz, ATI 5870, 16GB RAM, win7 64bit, TH2GO, Track-IR, 4screen pit, TM WArthog HOTAS

And TrackIR is now fully supported in win8.

New version of the driver: 5.2 - Beta 02

Source

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

Yeah Viper, £25? It seems oddly cheap for Microsoft! Suspiciously so...

Maybe they finally realized that less is indeed more. Good way to drag XP dinosaurs into the 21st century :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Personally i will stay on 7 as long as possible, maybe even skip 8 with all the things i have read about it. Right now, there is not one single reason for gamers on a PC that i know of that would make 8 more attractive than 7, on the contrary, there are a lot of features that make it bothersome.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

.......on the contrary, there are a lot of features that make it bothersome.

Those are? Latest version reviews seem to differ.

I have 3 hours left on the download so I'm all ears :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think i found why its cheap.

coz after you buy it and install you then have to buy extra software to do all the things that are free with win7 like dvd players you have to buy win media center on top and god knows what else..

not for me thanks I will stick with win 7 till I go senile which wont be so long now..

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

• ED Team

I am going to stay well away from it.

If its not broke don't try and fix it :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

coz after you buy it and install you then have to buy extra software to do all the things that are free with win7 like dvd players you have to buy win media center on top and god knows what else....

Nope :)

Run the upgrade assistant prior to purchase. It analyses your PC and tells you exactly what is compatible and what is not. With all my nonsense I have installed I only have one issue it identified regarding software incompatibility.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think i found why its cheap.

coz after you buy it and install you then have to buy extra software to do all the things that are free with win7 like dvd players you have to buy win media center on top and god knows what else..

not for me thanks I will stick with win 7 till I go senile which wont be so long now..

I don't think many people utilize WMC but for those who do, it's free until 1/31/13 if you register at the below website directly from Microsoft. :thumbup:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Old System Specs:

CPU: AMD Pnehom II x6 1090T

MOBO: Asus M4A88TD-V

GPU: EVGA 01G-P3-1371-AR GeForce GTX 460

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

HDD: Hitachi GST Deskstar 7K3000 2TB

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

Monitor: Gateway FHD2400 24" (1920x1200)

Mouse: Logitech G9x

Extras:

LG WH10LS30 BD Burner

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Sharkoon SR 5.1 Surround Headset

Thrustmaster T1600 Joystick

And for those who want a Media Center replacement:

http://www.team-mediaportal.com/ or XBMC

There are so many more...

EDIT: Check win8 compatibility, not sure... ;)

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

like dvd players you have to buy win media center on top and god knows what else..

Why anybody would prefer that over VLC player is beyond me.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I will admit to having purchased a copy just to play with on a spare laptop.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I ran into crashes with DCS World and Windows 8. Had a bunch of freezing issues with teh PC...formatted and clean installed 4 times or so. Figured out a network driver was causing issues. Games were running fine but the TM warthog was behaving erratically. When using TGP, trying to slew the TGP + changing to black hot mode or so just makes it go beserk...the TGP just randomly slwes on its own etc. Then when I try to quit DCS world, it crashes to the desktop with an DCS World ahs shut down error. I am going back to Windows 7 for now. Disappointed as I just shelled out money to upgrade to 8....but clearly it isn't too different form the release preview which gave these issues.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

@viper.

update assistant just scans your sys and tells you if stuff you have is compatible or not with a small problem anything that has not been tested by MS on win8 is not included, in my case this is a hell of a lot of small apps and hardware that is an unknown.

I am not going to trash win8 it is just not for me.

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

Two things are stopping me to buy and install W8:

- Does DCS-W works in?

- My W7-64bit is running smooth. And I've been told that if PC's running well, don't try to fix it...

So I'd probably buy it at this cheap price but I won't install it until I'm sure DCS-W is fully supported.

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Two things are stopping me to buy and install W8:

- Does DCS-W works in?

- My W7-64bit is running smooth. And I've been told that if PC's running well, don't try to fix it...

So I'd probably buy it at this cheap price but I won't install it until I'm sure DCS-W is fully supported.

I've already bought it and installed using an old XP license I had laying around. Wise of you though, for that price it's at least worth buying and maybe later install. It's not even the price of a new PC game for Crying out loud, very un-Microsoftish indeed.

AMD FX-6300

8GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LP DDR3 RAM

SAPPHIRE HD 7790 DUAL-X O/C 1GB DDR5

2TB SEAGATE HDD

WIN7 ULTIMATE X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]