Windows 8

fulcrum_64th

Dear all,

Does a-10c or more generally all dcs titles work on windows 8 64 bits ?

Best

Fulcrum

Edited by fulcrum_64th

:pilotfly:

win 10x64 - Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero - I9 9900K@5.0GHz - Samsung 970 EVO m2 2TB - RAM Corsair 64GB DDR4 - Corsair H150i pro - Strix RTX 2080 Ti- oculus rift S and a few other goodies :joystick:

Flawlessly for me (Win8Pro-64bit)

Don't forget to update your TrackIR drivers (if you have one)

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

Thanks for the reply Cedaway, would you happen to be using a hotas warthog ? Is it working ?

best

Fulcrum

win 10x64 - Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero - I9 9900K@5.0GHz - Samsung 970 EVO m2 2TB - RAM Corsair 64GB DDR4 - Corsair H150i pro - Strix RTX 2080 Ti- oculus rift S and a few other goodies :joystick:

No problem for HOTAS Warthog. Everything in my sig run well.

EDIT: And Welcome to the forum. Happy flying. :)

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

I'm also using Windows 8 64bit. Works like a charm. Using TM HOTAS Warthog, CH Pedals, TrackIR, TARGET software and CH Control Manager. Have had no problems whatsoever.

Actually, out of my huge library of steam and non-steam titles going back to the early 90s, the only game I can't get to work with my setup is Cliffs of Dover. Every thing else works just as well or better than Windows 7. Be warned, though, if you have an NVIDIA card. The stock Windows 8 install has some very up to date drivers and I was surprised my video card was completely up to date after a fresh install. However, the built in drivers do not have the PhysX components so titles that depend on it (Arkham City) were giving me trouble. Once I reinstalled the same version of the display driver I had from NVIDIA's site, it included the PhysX libraries and all was back to normal.

Windows 8 runs these titles, all of my gaming hardware including HOTAS Cougar and Warthog, TM MFD's, TrackIR, TFS3, Logitech G700 gaming mouse, Logitech G-15 keyboard, G-25 Racing wheel and everything else I have thrown at it very well. So well in fact I have left Windows 7 behind without any regret what so ever. I think that in the long run this OS will be well received.

The problem is that change has no constituents.....at least at first. ;)

Out

Edited by PoleCat

Question as a simmer/gamer: why would I want to "upgrade" from a fully working and tested Windows 7 64 bit to Windoze 8?

stability

performance

reliability

driver refinement

memory management

DirectX finetuning

yadda yadda.

Question. Why would I want to go from My BMW M3 to a BMW M3 SMG?

Coz it's damn faster, quicker to change gears, looks better, more room and the girls like the new shape........................................

Well..............................when the wife aint lookin' that is.

;-)

'T'

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

stability

performance

reliability

driver refinement

memory management

DirectX finetuning

yadda yadda.

Question. Why would I want to go from My BMW M3 to a BMW M3 SMG?

Coz it's damn faster, quicker to change gears, looks better, more room and the girls like the new shape........................................

Well..............................when the wife aint lookin' that is.

;-)

'T'

Good one. Specially last sentence. :megalol:

Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X | i5 10600K@4700 | 32 Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G |

MONITOR IIYAMA 24,5" LED LCD @ 1920 x 1080 | Windows 11

| Saitek X-55 Rhino | TrackIR 5 Pro

Question as a simmer/gamer: why would I want to "upgrade" from a fully working and tested Windows 7 64 bit to Windoze 8?

First off I would not upgrade....ever. Clean install only and preserve your data through backup just in case you want to go back to Windows 7. That way there is very little risk involved in trying it out.

I find Windows 8 to be an even more stable gaming platform then Windows 7 and I like many of the more obvious improvements now that I have explored them. The answer to your question is you move to Windows 8 when and if you decide you want to of course.

That being said remember this...

When we were all using Windows XP and Windows 7 had come out and been reported as a great OS many people asked the same question. What OS do you think those people are now using?

When you decide to do it is up to you. IMHO it is just a matter of time before most of us will be using it and liking it just fine and maybe even wondering just a little bit how we ever could have been so happy with Windows 7. Hmmm?

Out

Edited by PoleCat

I agree. Win8 64bit here and it works flawlessly with everything. The start screen apps aren't that great and it feels tacked on as I still spend most of my time on the desktop. But, even then, the relative quickness if win 8 makes it worthwhile to upgrade. You will not regret how snappy the os feels.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Oh and Windows 8 + UEFI motherboard + SSD boot partition = Cold start to desktop in under 10 seconds. It's ridiculously fast. And that's with Steam, Origin, CH Control Manager and several other programs booting on start up.

I loved Windows 7 but I do not miss it at all. Windows 8 does have its problems but I've found the upgrade well worth it. The new task manager is alone is almost worth the price of admission.

It is very easy to compare win 8 and win 7. I always use MSFlight and MS FSX as an example. Win 8 runs slightly better but is over simplified and hardly customizable. MS FSX is highly customizable but runs a bit crappier until you tweak it, win 7. They were also developed with the same "type" of customer in mind. Not to take away from new and interesting features in win 8, but i can do without them knowing that I can actually get my work done quicker in win 7. Then after I am done its off to the races in Faucon or DCS, in which there is no FPS difference between win 7 and 8. Also without a SSD, there is hardly a noticeable difference in load times between 7 and 8, only a few seconds faster for 8. (Comparing 2 clean installs, not a bogged down win 7 dating 2 years and filled with crap loading on start) Its all about preference in my case as both are almost the same on my system (performance wise).

Witchking, I live in Barrie, what's this Mississauga/Hamilton thing? You living right on the border...?

It means I live both in Hamilton and mississauga. I primarily live in Hamilton in my own apt, but my parents live down in mississauga and I am there during weekends/holidays.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

I run DCS World, DCS A-10, DCS whatever flawlessly and fast in Win 7 64 bit. Wouldn't change to Win 8 for the world. To me there are too many mixed reviews from gamers on Win 8. Reminds me of Win ME and Win XP. Gimme XP anyday over ME which was a dud and uneeded.

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

I run DCS World, DCS A-10, DCS whatever flawlessly and fast in Win 7 64 bit. Wouldn't change to Win 8 for the world. To me there are too many mixed reviews from gamers on Win 8. Reminds me of Win ME and Win XP. Gimme XP anyday over ME which was a dud and uneeded.

That is of course your choice. I enjoy improved overall stability and a much better and more productive experience under the new OS in all respects. I can also attest to the DCS titles and more then a few other simulations and FPS titles that run smooth as silk under Windows 8.

I read the mixed reviews early on, the fact is they don't line up with my experience of this new OS at all. It may be just a little bit better but it is clearly better then Windows 7 IMHO.

I believe that in a relatively short period of time, Windows 7 boxes will be as rarely used for gaming as Windows XP boxes are right now.

Change is permanent. :)

Out

I upgraded my Win7 to Win8. Had some trouble afterwards. Could not run A-10C without some tweaking. For example, problems with Helios and TrackIR. Also, Windows decided to rearrange my display settings (three screens). But managed to get everything OK eventually.

Dear Friends,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your w8 experience. I decided to give it a go (worst cast I'll roll back to w7).

Kind Regards

Fulcrum

• ED Team

I have windows 8 on one home pc on a touchscreen, its nice for doing normal stuff but there is no way it is going anywhere near my gaming machine.

Windows 8 is for the smart phone / touchscreen pc / tablet, not for gaming machines.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Win8 does have a couple of niggles for me, around the context switching between Metro and desktop. But in ALL other regards win8 is better than win7. And it cost me £25???? Best MS purchase EVER.

The Chicken Littles can all go and keep their heads buried in the sand for all I care.

i7@3.5Ghz, ATI 5870, 16GB RAM, win7 64bit, TH2GO, Track-IR, 4screen pit, TM WArthog HOTAS

I enjoy improved overall stability and a much better and more productive experience under the new OS in all respects.

Care to name any of these particular problems you had under 7 that are now gone with 8?

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!