Infantry

gaz2644

I am pretty new to DCS and just want to say what an awesome sim,

Now i was wondering if there was any plans to make the infantry ai better.

Seeing that DCS is now "land, sea and air".

To go to a "ground style sim i feel that you are competing with the likes of Arma 2.

The infantry ai in CA are on a similar standard to the origional OFP.

Will they be improved in the future or even playable ?

Im not slating dcs in any way, i know the game engine wont allow arma 2 quality infantry, but im sure most will agree a sim with the air and ground vehicles standard of DCS and infantry somewhere near Arma 2, or even arma 1 would be a real winner.

I would appreciate even some gradual improvement as they continue to develop this series of sims. I agree with you Jona, that we need them to be able to get in and out of helicopters, for airmobile operations. Paradrops would be a nice additional also.

It's sorta OK now, at least they can run and move and those guys that carry the RPGs and stinger/igla IR missiles are still dangerous enough that the adversary must account for them. Good enough for now, but without question I think we can all see the potential!!

[sIGPIC]sigpic65507_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

That's a dream that everybody have, I mean playing the infantry from arma 2 combined with the aircrafts and ground vehicles from DCS, I'm pretty we will see a sim like that in the future. Compatibility and financial questions to resolve to make it happen...

Strike Posture Set CAS Center of Excellence

Intel Core i5 4690k @4,6Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, Gigabyte Z97-X, 16GB G Skill Sniper @2400, Samsung 860/850 EVO , Win 10 64 bits, Dual monitors 27"@144"Opentrack + TM Warthog + Saitek pro flight combat 

I don't think the infantry are close to the OFP standard (except visually) and ED shouldn't be trying to upgrade them, as such.

But they can be made useful. Currently half of them lack animations, and a town full of RPG gunners is no threat to an armored column at all.

They really just need some AI and cover functionality. They should function like short-range ambush forces, going prone while attached to the trenches, sandbag bunkers and crew-served weapons that the game badly needs. ATGM infantry and RPG gunners garrisoning high rises will revolutionize the ground game. Suddenly JTACs will actually be needed to pick out on tiny or nondescript target among all the battlefield clutter, and the infantry threats will be deadly.

Of course, this assumes that a single BMP-2 doesn't use its omniscience and unlimited supply of Konkurs missiles to kill everything from 4 klicks away.

• Like 1

Infantry need to be able to mount/dismount IFVs, trucks and helicopters as well as occupy buildings. Even without adding some kind of ground cover system--see infantry in Steel Beasts for a fair example--this would be one of the most meaningful updates we could see for Combined Arms. (The other would be proper line of sight and detection rules for the AI, especially with regards to forests.)

• Like 1

Maturin and Mouse, +1 to both.

This sim was not designed to be a First Person Shooter, but the AI should act at least semi-intelligently, and have the ability to hide, evade, get in/out of vehicles & buildings, and perform some basic tasks.

Great points that guys make here -- this should be essentially the vision for infantry in DCSW.

[sIGPIC]sigpic65507_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

If the ED were to implement the possibility of using the individual soldier with gun style weapons, allowing them to be transported by the pilots of cargo planes and helicopters, or the means of land of CA would be really cool and open the door to hundreds of thousands of users ...

Even if I see big problems of implementation as in multiplayer already limits are excessive, see the land that should be much more detailed, create a series of specialized soldiers to take them where the equipment ... should implement a radio to act as a communicator between soldiers, the JTAC and only the imagination can put stop to the possibility that a soldier may have any form.

[sIGPIC]index.php?action=dlattach;topic=17112.0;attach=7646;image[/sIGPIC]

www.36stormovirtuale.net

I'm seriously hoping for an infantry JTAC. Just an unit with binoculars or SOFLAM, as it doesn't make much sense to sneak up to an enemy base behind enemy lines, in a Humvee or place the Humvee on a top of a tall hill...

If you read the JTAC book: Fire Strike

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fire-Strike-7-9-ebook/dp/B003KVKQVE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355145966&sr=8-2

Most of the of the time he is in a vehicle when calling in strikes, because that is where the radio is and it offers protection from small arms fire.

Still I do agree that it should not be that hard to make infantry JTAC.

Edited by jib
Spelling

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

If you read the book "Danger Close: Tactical Air Controllers in Afghanistan and Iraq" by Steve Call, you will see that in Afghanistan the JTACs are never in a Vehicle (maybe on a pony sometimes), calling air strikes when hiding. Once from a roof top and the target is another house few houses away.

Most of the of the time he is in a vehicle when calling in strikes, because that is where the radio is and it offers protection from small arms fire.

How do you hide in a bush in a Humvee ...and why would you need protection from small arms fire if you are targeting a tank platoon ?

I worked with a jtac in afghan. and weaher he was in a vehicle or not depended on the mission/ tasking.

but in kosovo for example it may have been different. i feel it would be good to have a dissmounted jtac so it gives us more flexability with mission making. i do think that infantry should be able to mount and dissmount vehicles tho

Exaclty, it depends on a mission.

I'm editing a mission where I would like a group of A-10 sneak behind enemy lines and bomb a weapon depot.

I wanted the strike to be guided from a hill top by a special forces team (player) JTAC. I can't place an vehicle that far into the enemy territory.

For me it would be enough to have possibility to move the same way as an pilot after ejection, or perspective view over a soldier (s) + binoculars view. More or less the same as with vehicles. Both walking, or plotting path on the map would open possibilities for new types of missions.

Edited by Skitter

I can't place an vehicle that far into the enemy territory.

Right now you can make the JTAC vehicle invisible to the enemy in the ME. That would allow you to at least play the mission until we get infantry JTAC.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

It is a solution. It obviously spoils the fun a bit (especially when rolling down the hill), but it is a substitute. Thanks, I'll try that.

EDIT:

The vehicle is still visible for other players, isn't it ?

Edited by Skitter

Yeah, I'm reading that book too, but what you didn't is that they were almost always spotted by the enemy and then taking fire. It really depends of the mission as someone said, most of the time, the TACP teams are walking for miles with a 60 kilos backpack to get into position, and they are rarely spotted taking that way...

Strike Posture Set CAS Center of Excellence

Intel Core i5 4690k @4,6Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, Gigabyte Z97-X, 16GB G Skill Sniper @2400, Samsung 860/850 EVO , Win 10 64 bits, Dual monitors 27"@144"Opentrack + TM Warthog + Saitek pro flight combat 

Did you use the fixed structure 'Armed House', or the ground unit version, under fortifications?

Both. Also I tried a bunker as it looked promising when I saw "Player can drive" in options.

But there is no icon to enter it from map, like with tanks and apc's.

Is there a different way to access it ?