A-10 USB engine gauges

hegykc

Hi.

I've been working on different ways to have usb instruments made, as cheap as possible. (amongst other things)

Now I have reached a point where I can have a prototype made.

These are all laser cut acrylic sheets, printed dials and face/back lit (I'll see which one works best).

The interface is 2 opencockpits servo motor cards.

I'm not building an A-10 simpit, so I'll make these available for purchase once squash out any prototype defects.

Since the only available pack at the moment is more than 1,000$ and doesn't really look the part, my goal was to try to design one at half price or less.

Everything in X and Y axis is made according to mil spec, to the best of my abilities. The rest, Z axis, is as close as possible since I'm working with sheets of material.

According to calculations from my cad program, this should come to under 550$ assembled and shipped out, or 350$ for a kit, less if more people are interested. I've designed it so there's no need for any tools or glue. Just snap it together like puzzles or lego bricks.

I'll probably have it cut next week.

98250322.jpg

57696641.jpg

89349383.jpg

69619596.jpg

60765692.jpg

75523705.jpg

I'm also designing other instruments from the DCS lineup:

ADI and HSI, the most complex of instruments, with all the flags and moving parts working. Made with a mix of laser cut acrylic and 3d printed parts.

70842257.jpg

And a P-51 instrument panel

61490788.jpg

If there's a programmer out there, that could get teensy boards to work with dcs and lua, this could become a 20$ per instrument venture, so cockpits for everyone :) (as it stands now, commercially available instruments range from 250$ - 500$)

Edited by hegykc
  • Like 1

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, fantastic work. Mmmmmmmm if I can get away with the cost. Another I'm gonna be following very very closely.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

This is incredible work indeed. I look forward to seeing Russian aircraft gauges.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

If there's a programmer out there, that could get teensy boards to work with dcs and lua, this could become a 20$ per instrument venture, so cockpits for everyone :) (as it stands now, commercially available instruments range from 250$ - 500$)
Heloooo, programers!!!! Can somebody help in here? :helpsmilie:

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Why would you wait when there are many reasonably price real Russian instruments on eBay?

This is incredible work indeed. I look forward to seeing Russian aircraft gauges.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Why would you wait when there are many reasonably price real Russian instruments on eBay?
Well, those real ones are good to be put on a shelf as a souvenirs. I am talking about gauges that can be interfaced with DCS series Russian aircraft.

nice work. Definitely interested!

PC: Asus P8Z77-M Mainboard; Intel i5-3570K (4x3,4Ghz) mit Scythe Mugen 3 CPU Kühler; 16Gb Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz; Nvidia GTX570 1280mb; Samsung 830 SSD; Samsung HDD

Flight Sim Gear: TM Warthog; Saitek Pro Pedals; TM Cougars on an 19" screen; TrackIR 5 w/ trackclip pro; Logitech G35 headset

How are you building the light holders for the engine gauges? Are you 3D printing that? It looks like it has angles you couldn't do with laser cutters.

The angles you see on "fake" light holders are achieved by sanding down the acrylic. I'll make both fake and functional versions of light holders. 3d printing is an option if laser cutting won't do.

81397800.jpg

Great stuff

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

LOL real gauges can be interfaces with DCS

Well, those real ones are good to be put on a shelf as a souvenirs. I am talking about gauges that can be interfaced with DCS series Russian aircraft.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.