NVG Mod

• 1 month later...

You mean the fact that your NVG view is offset from the real viel? I'm not sure whether that is intentional to somehow simulate the parallax effect of wearing goggles or whether it's a side effect of the technique used to generate the NVG image. If the former is the case you might be lucky..

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

It is however the latter... The NVG image uses a scaling factor to simulate the zoom of some night vision goggles.

If you don't want it, set

const int RENDER_MODE = 1;

equal to 0 in the nvg_mod.hlsl file.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

NVG Mod

Do the goggles used in the A-10C have this zoom factor? i'm deliberately saying used as I imagine the newer helmets with HMCs have a different night vision system than the older goggles..

Someone more knowledgeable should comment on this.

Do the goggles used in the A-10C have this zoom factor? i'm deliberately saying used as I imagine the newer helmets with HMCs have a different night vision system than the older goggles..

Someone more knowledgeable should comment on this.

HMCS on the A-10C has nothing to do and isn't affected by NVGs.

Well I can speak from a boots perspective, avs6, pvs 15, pvs 14 you have a small zoom factor. Nothing major. But we do have the option of mounting 3x on which magnifies by 3 power.

I'm very interested in what the hog drivers are using nowadays as we have combo thermal and night vision on the ground these days.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

I ment around the ring of the nvg you cannot click on on the switches but in the center of the nvg you can. As I have modified my ring thickness I have this zone where it is inside the green but I can't click trough it

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

NVG Mod

Snoopy, I was thinking that you can't put goggles over the large visor of an HMCS helmet. So if wearing an HMCS helmet has nothing to do with wearing goggles, how does it work? What can one and what can one not wear/carry simultaneously in the case of a Hog driver?

From a startup video of an a10c recently I'm guessing here but the head mounted stuff was a small monocle eye piece over one eye?

Excuse horrible pic quality but the clear monocle is over his right eye. You can see this on Airboyd YouTube channel

image.thumb.jpg.0e1f872a01a8624864e55a4f742ca276.jpg

Edited by rcjonessnp175

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Snoopy, I was thinking that you can't put goggles over the large visor of an HMCS helmet. So if wearing an HMCS helmet has nothing to do with wearing goggles, how does it work? What can one and what can one not wear/carry simultaneously in the case of a Hog driver?

You're thinking JHMCS, the A-10 HMCS is a completely different system. It goes over the pilots dominate eye only.

NVG Mod

I see the difference now between JHMCS and HMCS I think. If I understand it correctly the HMCS has the small squared screen over one (the dominant) eye whereas JHMCS looks more like a huge Star Wars helmet.

I cant post pictures now, Im on tapatalk.

Back to the initial question, do the night vision goggles used in the 10C have a zoom factor?

Edited by JayPee

All night vision has a perceived zoom factor due to the optic not at same focal plane as our eye balls. Add that and no true depth perception and it even adds more to the effect. I'll let the hog experts chime in if they choose but everything I've used has at least 1x to 3x some adjustable some not. So if your looking for a more realistic experience with the nvg mod. Keep that zoom factor enabled as nvgs give you a very big sense of tunnel vision. Wether it's a monocle or two eye night vision device.

All night vision has a perceived zoom factor due to the optic not at same focal plane as our eye balls. Add that and no true depth perception and it even adds more to the effect. I'll let the hog experts chime in if they choose but everything I've used has at least 1x to 3x some adjustable some not. So if your looking for a more realistic experience with the nvg mod. Keep that zoom factor enabled as nvgs give you a very big sense of tunnel vision. Wether it's a monocle or two eye night vision device.

With respect to this topic this is the answer I was looking for.

So still no one knows or wants to help me out with what I am asking ?

As I said, it is a side effect of the zoom / scale factor. No way around it I'm afraid. So either you have to live with the zone, or you may set RENDER_MODE = 0; in the nvg_mod.hlsl file.

Does that help you?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

Have you tried the NVG Mod Setup Utility that comes with the mod? It lets you set the zoom factor amongst other things if I understand its functioning correctly.

I'm not sure where you've downloaded the mod, but if you download it from the 476th website you get the utility included.

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=273

Edited by JayPee

• 2 weeks later...
As I said, it is a side effect of the zoom / scale factor. No way around it I'm afraid. So either you have to live with the zone, or you may set RENDER_MODE = 0; in the nvg_mod.hlsl file.

Does that help you?

I'll try it out when I go back home, thanks. But just to clear it out, what I ment was the dead zone which is to represent the ring of the NVG around the green. The things is, I manually reduced the thikness of the outer ring, but the dead zone stayed as the original thikness .

Thanks again and happy holidays. I'll report back with results

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Ok, sorry if this is a stupid question but why doesn't this mod work with the FC3 A2A planes if it works with Black Shark, the A-10A/C, and the Su-25/25T?

Oh and since this thread has a very spread out description of the mod here is a short guide for the planes it works with:

1: Download the "nvg_mod_1.0v4b2.zip" file (on the first post here) and extract it using 7zip/winzip.

2: Take the extracted files and put them in your DCS install folder (here if through Steam C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\DCSWorld)

3: Edit your /DCSWorld/Config/grahics.lua file to change "PrecompiledEffects =

{

mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_FOR_UNCHANGED_FILES";

--mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_ONLY";

}" with the result as shown.

4: Adjust the values in the "\DCSWorld\Bazar\shaders\PostMotionEffect\NightVisionGoogle/nvd.fx and \DCSWorld\Bazar\shaders\PostMotionEffect\NightVisionGoogle/nvg_mod.hlsl" as you see fit, guides are commented out.

5:Add keyboard bindings in as outlined in post 194 on this thread to this folder "C:\Users\%Username%\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input" but you probably could also do it in this section as well (no promises that it will work) "\DCSWorld\Config\Input\Aircrafts"

If you see any mistakes or have any problems please tell me and have a happy new year!

I don't think the A2A planes, have the code that would enable a player to turn on the nvg (not the inserting the keybinds), but the sort of back end, that lets the plane recognize that the nvg code it self even exists