NVG Mod

Perception:

While this is a hack in its current form it none the less is trying to produce something based on the real world.

Because the sensor on NVGs is not at the same XYZ coordinate as your eyeballs retina in real life, the image that you see makes objects appear to be closer. Think of the AH-64 Apache, its nightvision cameras are on the front of the aircraft. What the pilot see's through his helmet display is not that as if it were through his eye but some 5-8ft or so in front of him.

The NVG mod does a half baked version of this and simply scales the image area under the effect of the NVGs up.

Actually, the image in NVGs is not magnified at all. It is 1:1 when properly focused. 64 guys can fly with NVGs, or with their integrated night vision system. Their NVS is also 1:1, without magnification. It's just situated in the front, and therefore a little offset when viewing things off to the side up close. This can cause a little confusion, but they usually get used to it.

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

Anyone help at all? I understand the numbers game now but I can't see where to change them! Which file am I supposed to be looking in with Notepad++ - nvd.fx or nvg_mod.hlsl? Either way I can't find the sections I'm supposed to edit. Cheers

Hi mr_mojo,

you need to specify a bit more of your setup for me to get you the right values.

We need:

• [width, height] of the monitor where your NVG should show up,
  • [width, height] of the overall game resolution
  • [x, y] where your NVG monitor is relative to the topleft corner of the game resolution.

Other than that, I can repeat myself :) :

Use this version of the mod and try these (copy - paste into nvg_mod.hlsl to replace the existing lines):

Sizes:

const float2 EYE_SIZE = float2(#.#####f,#.#####f);
const float2 MASK_SIZE = float2(#.#####f,#.#####f);

Centers:

const float2 EYE_CENTER = float2(#.#####f,#.#####f);
const float2 MASK_CENTER = float2(#.#####f,#.#####f);

Blurred Rim:

const float INNER_RANGE_MIN = #.###f;
const float INNER_RANGE_MAX = #.###f;
const float OUTTER_RANGE_MIN = #.###f;
const float OUTTER_RANGE_MAX = #.###f;
const float INNER_RANGE_DIST_MIN = #.###f;
const float INNER_RANGE_DIST_MAX = #.###f;

Substitute suitable values for the #'s.

Hi johnv2pt0

Yes the bezel is to small in the nvg_mod_1.0v4b2.zip.

If you download and use the ver of Peterp nrgized nvgmod_1.0v3 with Ka-50.zip

It's simply perfect!!!! If you have a 1920x1200 monitor i send you my modify file for improve realism like true FOV tube and reduced Noise.

Bye Bye

Yes, you can change the bezel thickness as you like, but nvg_mod_1.0v4b2.zip fixes an issue with the nvg mask for multimonitor setups, so I do recommend to take that version and then edit it to suit your preferences.

Edited by PhoenixBvo
link updated

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

Cheers mate. I actually worked out yesterday where to put the figures and with a bit of playing about I managed to get a perfect circle which is all that I needed as my dual monitor setup made it show up as an oval. All done and good now though, thanks

Les

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

Anything I need to do so I can use this mod with the UH-1H?

Thank you,

Monnie

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Everyone,

Anything I need to do so I can use this mod with the UH-1H?

Thank you,

Monnie

+1 doesn't seem to work anymore. The graphics cfg now uses a "--" instead of "//" in front of the line to edit.

It works and you won't need to edit a (non-existant) graphics.cfg any more since 1.2.4.

All changed shader files will now be used without to make edits.

There is now only a graphics.lua and its also 'cleaned up' , means the legacy stuff is thrown out .

Please read the \DCS World\Config\graphics_readme.txt to get used to the mod-friendly changes.

Edited by PeterP

Guys, this mod is very interesting and realistic - however is there anyway to make the night darker in DCS World - I have set my monitor brightness to 40%, however during moonlit nights I can see ground without NVG and on moonless nights overcast it is little bit worse but I can still fly absolutely safely without any NVG. In FC2 night is pitch black as it should be - in DCS there is too much ambient light. Is there any setting in graphics.lua to reduce night ambient light?

Guys, this mod is very interesting and realistic - however is there anyway to make the night darker in DCS World - I have set my monitor brightness to 40%, however during moonlit nights I can see ground without NVG and on moonless nights overcast it is little bit worse but I can still fly absolutely safely without any NVG. In FC2 night is pitch black as it should be - in DCS there is too much ambient light. Is there any setting in graphics.lua to reduce night ambient light?

I think somewhere on here someone mentioned its too "light", known bug maybe?

I think somewhere on here someone mentioned its too "light", known bug maybe?

Unlikely... personally I can't see anything for blackness. Would be the individual monitor setting more likely.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

So, it's 1.0v4b3 the latest version?

Thanks!

Yes, although unofficial in that it is not entirely by nrgized. But it contains a fix for the laser mask, which had the wrong size on some setups.

You still have to calculate the correct values for your own monitor setup though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

• 2 weeks later...

ok...UNCLE!! I've been able to get the mod installed, and the clickzones corrected, however, I CAN NOT get the view location/size correct. What lines need modded and which values should I use? Please help, because I am IN LOVE with the quality of this mod. AMAZING!

My resolution of monitor and in-game are the same (1680x1050), and I am running a single monitor. Thanks a million!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ok...UNCLE!! I've been able to get the mod installed, and the clickzones corrected, however, I CAN NOT get the view location/size correct. What lines need modded and which values should I use? Please help, because I am IN LOVE with the quality of this mod. AMAZING!

My resolution of monitor and in-game are the same (1680x1050), and I am running a single monitor. Thanks a million!

Hi Todd,

make sure you have nvg_mod_1.0v4b3 and try these values (copy - paste into nvg_mod.hlsl to replace the existing lines):

Sizes:

const float2 EYE_SIZE = float2(0.66667f,1.06667f);
const float2 MASK_SIZE = float2(0.66667f,1.06667f);

Centers:

const float2 EYE_CENTER = float2(0.50000f,0.57333f);
const float2 MASK_CENTER = float2(0.50000f,0.57333f);

Blurred Rim:

const float INNER_RANGE_MIN = 0.800f;
const float INNER_RANGE_MAX = 0.867f;
const float OUTTER_RANGE_MIN = 0.917f;
const float OUTTER_RANGE_MAX = 1.000f;
const float INNER_RANGE_DIST_MIN = 0.850f;
const float INNER_RANGE_DIST_MAX = 0.917f;

Edited by PhoenixBvo
link updated

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO

this MOD is awesome, but during an offline mission, my TGP Laser is broken.

Already replaced the focus.png

a10_no_laser.thumb.jpg.e2452862c4a3a29bb1bcc25eae229458.jpg

Simulatori: DCS A-10C II Warthog - DCS F/A-18C Hornet - DCS F-16C - VRS F/A-18E - 
HOTAS: TM Warthog - Cougar \ HP Reverb G2 \ WinWing Panels

Tally: I see the degenerate commie who wants to ruin our day.

my monitor setup as follows:

1st screen: main viewport 1680*1050

2nd screen: mfcd etc 1440*900

total game res: 3120*1050

Edited by _Heater_

Simulatori: DCS A-10C II Warthog - DCS F/A-18C Hornet - DCS F-16C - VRS F/A-18E - 

Hi Heater,

make sure you have nvg_mod_1.0v4b3 and try these values (copy - paste into nvg_mod.hlsl to replace the existing lines):

Sizes:

const float2 EYE_SIZE = float2(0.35000f,1.04000f);
const float2 MASK_SIZE = float2(0.65000f,1.04000f);

Centers:

const float2 EYE_CENTER = float2(0.26923f,0.58400f);
const float2 MASK_CENTER = float2(0.50000f,0.58400f);

Blurred Rim:

Edited by PhoenixBvo
link updated
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO

thank you very much for your help PhoenixBvo ;)

+1

I've spent some time on this, but I cant seem to figure out what it would be for my resolution of 1280x800. Please help!

Here you go (copy - paste into nvg_mod.hlsl to replace the existing lines):

Sizes:

const float2 EYE_SIZE = float2(0.63281f,1.01250f);
const float2 MASK_SIZE = float2(0.63281f,1.01250f);

Centers:

const float2 EYE_CENTER = float2(0.50000f,0.59500f);
const float2 MASK_CENTER = float2(0.50000f,0.59500f);

Blurred Rim:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO