Heads up Display in the HUD way off center

sobe

Why is the Heads up display in the HUD so far off center? The FAQ ask this question, but does not answer it. In BMS, you can pretty much center it by hitting the drift key, but I couldn't find one in this game.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Assuming you are speaking about the A-10, it does not have a wind correction system for the HUD.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yes I am talking about the A10. So why is it so far off center?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Are you talking about the pitch ladder, or the entire HUD including the data blocks? If it's just the pitch ladder, that's by design: the ladder will shift based on the wind. If not, then a picture would be pretty helpful.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

^^^ What he said...err...both of them. :)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

So I had this same problem. No matter where I was, weather, wind, weapons stores, no weapon stores... it didn't matter. My HUD was always skewed way over to the left. I messed around with it for days until I finally figured it out.

It was my crappy joystick. I had some old Microsoft stick with the crap "twist" rudder and it was holding some right rudder all the time. I only figured this out by disabling the rudder completely. I got it to fly by setting a pretty big deadzone on the rudder but I'd already decided to pitch that joystick for a Warthog anyway.

Hope this helps...

-Charles

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Are you talking about the pitch ladder, or the entire HUD including the data blocks? If it's just the pitch ladder, that's by design: the ladder will shift based on the wind. If not, then a picture would be pretty helpful.

There seems to be a bug here.

Why would the pitch ladder be designed to shift completely off the HUD with the wind in straight and level flight?

The pitch ladder is intended as the HUDs representation of an attitude indicator. The difference between magnetic heading and magnetic course is (or should be) irrelevant to the 'centering' of the pitch ladder in the display. Only the otientation of the airplane's axes relative to the earth should matter.

I think this is a bug in the simulation, which aligns the pitch ladder left or right with the flight path marker. Of course, the FPM should move left or right of centerline when crabbing in straight and level flight, but there is no logical reason for the pitch ladder to follow the FPM as it does. In fact, even moderate winds aloft at traffic pattern altitude can cause the pitch ladder to completely follow the FPM off the HUD when crabbing in a strong cross-wind, for example when on the cross wind or base legs of when the wind is down the runway. This renders the AI functionality of the HUD useless in normal weather situations.

Not sure how this can be by design?

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

Check the bottom of your ADI. If the ball on the bottom is anywhere but the center then there is your answer. The A-10 is not flying straight ahead due to wind or your inputs.

HOWEVER, if that's not the case, then perhaps Track IR? And you are not looking at it straight?

• Like 1

It was explained above.

In Cake's defense, his post was moved to this thread in the past few hours so he probably has not read the above posts. :)

In Cake's defense, his post was moved to this thread in the past few hours so he probably has not read the above posts. :)

Thanks.

I was thinking this was bugged, but I am new to the sim so I will take your word that the pitch ladder is designed to follow the total velocity vector. Way back when I was a tester on the original SU27 Flanker products, so I am always looking for stuff that doesn't seem right. A little more experimenting shows that the FPM stays on the HUD, bust displays an <- or -> to show it is actually outside the HUDs FOV when crabbing sufficiently, and the pitch ladder sort of parks itself on the modified FPM in this case.

This "design" seems sort of unfortunate, because even with coordinated non-aerobatic maneuvering the pitch ladder disappears completely from the HUD in certain cases, yes, even with the ball kept centered (or at least close to). Now the pilot needs to look down at the AI to control the aircraft absent of outside visual references. Is there some advantage to this that I am missing in linking the ladder to the TVV instead of the airplane lateral and longitudinal axes?

Wouldn't it be preferable to have the reliable pitch and bank indications on the HUD at all times, and particularly when flying in the clouds? This makes what seems to be an unnecessary challenge for flying approaches, but I am probably spoiled by more modern avionics. Seems like it should be easier, with the pitch ladder staying centered and the flight path marker moving independently, but I guess this will just make navigation with 100 knot winds aloft or shooting an ILS approach to minimums with a 35 knot cross wind component more of a challenge.

It seems my 'issue' is now with the actual A10C and not the sim. :beer: to ED and :ranting: to Fairchild Republic :)

Liking the sim very much so far, just putting myself through the basics at this point - Not even close to combat yet.

HOWEVER, if that's not the case, then perhaps Track IR? And you are not looking at it straight?

Just bought a TM Warthog, I guess the Track IR is next. I haven't moved side to side in the seat yet, but I did try that in the P51.

Edited by Cake

• 9 years later...

i am very very new to the game, i was having this problem, my plain would all ways pull left on braking, then once the brake was off she would taxi hard left, as well she would bank left in flight. Touch wood im using the grim reapers settings for my x 56 .

so i un assigned the rudder it worked, it would not reassigne , so i added the pack again now it seems to work

On 3/23/2013 at 11:28 PM, Cake said:

This "design" seems sort of unfortunate, because even with coordinated non-aerobatic maneuvering the pitch ladder disappears completely from the HUD in certain cases, yes, even with the ball kept centered (or at least close to). Now the pilot needs to look down at the AI to control the aircraft absent of outside visual references. Is there some advantage to this that I am missing in linking the ladder to the TVV instead of the airplane lateral and longitudinal axes?

My understanding is that the pitch ladders adjusting for winds is to make it easier for diving weapons deliveries. Which A-10 pilots care about a lot more than using their huds for instrument approaches. 

also. The HUD is not approved as a primary reference for instrument flight AFAIK. The pilot has to be looking at that ADI and HSI regardless while flying instrument approaches. If the pitch ladders are All the way off the side of the HUD on final though I’m thinking he might run into so,e crosswind limitations