Issues already and a new guy needs some guidance

waistcat

Hello All,

I have had DCS 10c for about 3 weeks now after downloading 1.2.2. DCS World and then A10. I have updated to 1.2.3 when the update came out.

I have been waiting patiently for the arrival of my New HOTAS Warthog and Saitek Combat rudder pedals and whilst I have, I have been familiarising myself with the cockpit, start-up procedures etc. just itching to get going.

I’m a little daunted, not by the actual flying, training, systems etc. as I do have a pilot’s licence but don’t make my living flying. No, it’s the myriad of profiles set up and preferences I will need to get my head around. I know there is some excellent advice on the forum, perhaps too much when you are searching as I’m having trouble seeing the wood for the trees.

Then this evening whilst laboriously practicing the start-up procedure using keyboard commands I suddenly cannot start the engines. The left just refuses to start. Anyone any ideas?

I’m running Widows 7 (64 bit) and as I say the latest version (1.2.3). I have also taken delivery of the HOTAS and the pedals today but as I have this problem I have been reluctant to connect them so whilst I have this opportunity can someone tell me if the stick and throttle are simply plug and play or do I need to download the T.A.R.G.E.T software for them to run in the standard game configuration.

Sorry if this seems a little stupid but I have tried to find similar issues on the forum but I have not been that successful.

Cheers!

(I’ll get around to putting my system up when I get the chance to list it but it is above the minimum spec)

i7 7700 @ 4.7GHz--GTX1080ti--Samsung SSD 500GB--32 gigs of RAM--TH Warthog--Crosswinds rudder--HP Reverb--Dedicated Sim room.

Getting the engines to run was my first hurdle that took hours.

Once you get the warthog you'll find out quickly that there are things that have to be done in order. These should get the engines running. (leaving out the other stuff)

1. Make sure the throttles are in the off position.

2. battery and inverter on to provide power to start the APU.

3. turn on fuel pumps

4.start the apu. When it hits 100 speed click the apu generator on.

5. Move the Left engine throttle to the idle position. or the key command to start. The left engine should start and ramp up to 60%

6. Move the Right engine throttle to the idle position. or the key command to start. The right engein should start and ramp to 60%

There are other things in the procedure like oxygen, and many other settings but these should get your engines running.

The big one I used to forget is to put the throttles to off before starting.

There are several very good posts you can do a search for which will give you a full checklist. These help a lot until it becomes second nature.

Good Luck.

Also. Don't do any of these things until you hook that HOTAS up. Don't tease yourself. Also do not install target. The game will set the switches automatically.

Edited by Hamblue

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

As I say I have been practicing this for 3 weeks while I wait for the HOTAS to arrive so I pretty much have the engine start process ingrained in my head and up to now I have been able to complete the whole of the startup and ready to taxi without problems. Now the engine refuses to start (I just tried again)

i7 7700 @ 4.7GHz--GTX1080ti--Samsung SSD 500GB--32 gigs of RAM--TH Warthog--Crosswinds rudder--HP Reverb--Dedicated Sim room.

As I say I have been practicing this for 3 weeks while I wait for the HOTAS to arrive so I pretty much have the engine start process ingrained in my head and up to now I have been able to complete the whole of the startup and ready to taxi without problems. Now the engine refuses to start (I just tried again)

It's usually something overlooked. I would stop everything and hook the Warthog up. Hell, I'm getting jittery with the thought of a new Warthog sitting on the floor while trying to do keyboard commands.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

I didn't want to hook up in case I started to believe the issues were with the HOTAS! Beleive me I want to get going!!!

The big one I used to forget is to put the throttles to off before starting.

This (through painful experience) and double check your key bindings (even if you haven't changed them; funny things can happen to that list of keys when you're not looking...).

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

I have been waiting patiently for the arrival of my New HOTAS Warthog and Saitek Combat rudder pedals

Some basic stuff/tips:

With HOTAS, you don't need Target Software. If you use TrackIR, re-map trim hat to trim instead of view functions. Use joystick pinkie paddle as a modifier.

With Saitek pedal toe brakes you have to invert axis.

OK Hotas installed (no TARGET). Went into mission and did a quick free flight. All appeared to working as it should. I have track IR5 to use but still awaiting headphones so I know what you mean about re-asigning the trim!!!

Came out of that and and then went back into Missions and did the free flight ramp start. Left engine didn't fire up, Inadvertant stick movement (on screen) without me touching the stick when I pulled the left throttle up from ident but no movement of the throttle on screen.

Saved track but now I don't know where to find that file to attach to this post

You need to make sure all the control axes are mapped properly. By default it's a complete mess; rudder to throttles etc. Check your options.

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

OK Hotas installed (no TARGET). Went into mission and did a quick free flight. All appeared to working as it should. I have track IR5 to use but still awaiting headphones so I know what you mean about re-asigning the trim!!!

Came out of that and and then went back into Missions and did the free flight ramp start. Left engine didn't fire up, Inadvertant stick movement (on screen) without me touching the stick when I pulled the left throttle up from ident but no movement of the throttle on screen.

Saved track but now I don't know where to find that file to attach to this post

Go into the Options Controls for the A-10C SIM and check your axis assignments.

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

OK thanks Danny,

Forgive the head movementsbut no TIR yet. As I have said previously this engine no start happens without the HOTAS as well so really don't think the HOTAS is doing this?

no left engine start.trk

hm, hm, hm....

Funny thing is, that the left engine starts running - but the throttle lever does not move...

Ahm... In my checklist I set the AC Gen switches (right console, below APU Gen Power) before setting battery, inverter and starting the APU.

If it's not that, I bet you got messed keymappings.

Delete the entire Input folder. (C:/user/saved games/DCS/Config/...)

DCS will create a new folder when you restart the program.

Make sure your Hotas and rudders are connected.

Thanks for looking Conrad,

My start up is per the training session for starting th engines. You say the engine is starting but it doesn't run correctly. Then only thing that has been constant is the rudders. they have been in all the time so I'll take a look at them but.....

I have been looking at this for hours - so tomorrow to try again.

Thanks for looking Conrad,

You say the engine is starting but it doesn't run correctly.

Can't say if it runs correctly... you shut down the plane before it runs up to 100% ;)

I really think it's a messed up axis and key mapping. Delete that input folder. I bet it will help.

:joystick:

Just watched your track and it looks to me like your ENG OPER switches just above the APU START switch are set to the lower position MOTOR, they need to be in the centre position NORMAL.

MOTOR is normally used to cool the engines after a flameout prior to a restart.

Oddly though the default position should be NORMAL

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

Plato

That's not too odd: he probably has HOTAS sync on, so that the switch positions on the Warthog are mimicked by the software when he enters the cockpit. If that's it, the ENG OPER switches on the physical HOTAS need to be switched too :)

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

He was having the issue before he plugged in his new TM.

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

Not necessarily the same one. There are lots of common mistakes that can prevent the engines from starting, like not waiting for them to spool up, missing switches etc. Even after hundreds of hours in the Hog I get it wrong sometimes.

For future thoughts, I highly suggest saving a track and posting it here so we understand better the problem.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.