How to find SAMs?

metro97

Sometimes mobile SAM units like the SA-6 pop up out of nowhere and are hard for the SEAD jets to strike. Take a look at Viper Pilot. It's a good book about F-16 Wild Weaseling and there was a chapter where some A-10s were doing some work in a city while the author was in his Viper doing some SEAD, and there was no shortage of targets. The A-10s had to get out of dodge for a few minutes.

Thank you for your suggestion.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

If you're an aviation enthusiast, Viper Pilot is a critical read. Don't let his ego detract from the story, he earned that ego, so creative/self-indulgence license must be granted. This kind of humility is a difficult thing to allow ourselves to have in an age where PC rhetoric pushes the illusion of common and relative equal measure of all men. No, this man is greater than I... and that says nothing about me, but reveals everything about him and his unique warrior breed.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

The hogs can do it in game, Just have to be patient.

When flying initial flights only bring AGM's until you know the SAM threat is gone. That way you have a more maneuverable plane.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

The hogs can do it in game, Just have to be patient.

When flying initial flights only bring AGM's until you know the SAM threat is gone. That way you have a more maneuverable plane.

Where's the optimism? "When facing a difficult task, act as though it is impossible to fail. If you're going after Moby Dick, take along the tartar sauce."

I bring 6 Mavs and 4 CBU-97s; after I've toasted the SAMs, I flambe' the armor. :P

Where's the optimism? "When facing a difficult task, act as though it is impossible to fail. If you're going after Moby Dick, take along the tartar sauce."

I bring 6 Mavs and 4 CBU-97s; after I've toasted the SAMs, I flambe' the armor. :P

My standard loadout is 6 AGM's, 4X 3*Mk-82TER , and a 97 or 87 opposite the TGP station. I'm more of a lumpy guy!!!!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Thank you for your suggestion.

I like the way you think... Question is, do SAMs emit if their ROE is weapons hold or return fire? I like the idea of goosing the HOgs with a pop up Sam... But they ought to have a chance to skedaddle too.

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

• 10 months later...

Good video. May be easier to use TAD cursor and 'hook to cursor' function to quickly add in the 90degree beam Markpoints? Rather than CDU OFFSET.

Create your overhead markpoint A

Hook it in TAD (TMS UP short) change function to 'hook to cursor' and move away to 90 degree/50m. Create Mark B

Repeat and make flight plan.

Just a variation / thought.

I thougt I'd posted it in this thread, too but didn't, so anyways: I see that video more as an exercise for learning the CDU. I hardly use that method in a mission at all - it costs too much time, might need you to fly over hostile terrain, your attention goes all to getting the procedure right, not to flying. All of those are dangerous propositions...

I've been working on the CDU triangulation all afternoon, sat and watched the video 5 times and wrote down every button push and direction the plane flew in. Then I made my own mission with just me and an SA-10. Yep, got shot down before I could get the coordinates input into the CDU. Then when I finally got it all in, my track lines didn't even cross. I will get it and I think it's a lot easier than A to A refueling.

The difficulty with an SA-10 is that it has a huge tracking radius. To get lies corssing at 90 degrees, you need to fly a quarter-circumfence of the radar, and that is a long way. Of course, it works with shorter distances like a 1/16 circumfence, but it becomes much more suspectuble to even the slightest errors, and using the RWR like that is always an inexact science. I'm confident that you now know how to do it. Simply change your mission to an SA-15 and you'll likely get much better results. Then, figure out the time it takes the A-10 to fly a quarter around and SA-10 at max search range, and then repeat with that information.

There is a technique I want to share:

In MP let the noobs fly in first, wait for them to be shot at, slew TGP where you see the trails start, fire away. :p

Also check for a list of RWR threats, there are SAM's you don't want to engage, and there are SAMs where you want to know how to engange them. If there is an IR threat present you simply want to stay high, and may not even have to destroy them to complete your mission. Some radar SAMs can be avoided while flying very high, others will make short work of you.