American, German, but where's the Brits?

mr_mojo97

So who's going to be building a DCS level British Spitfire? I've not seen anything on any version here.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

There are so many to choose from! The P-51D and 190D-9 were obvious variant choices, but which of the dozens of Spitfire marks would be best for DCS? And would it be HF, LF, clipped wing...? Merlin or Griffon engine?

I wouldn't want to be the one who has to make the choice!

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

The Fighter Collection have 2 Spitfires in their inventory.

A 1945 Spitfire Mk XIV

ROLLS-ROYCE GRIFFON 65

http://fighter-collection.com/cft/vickers-armstrong-spitfire-fr-xiv/

SP%20XIV-1024x682.jpg

And a 1942 Spitfire LF Mk.Vb

ROLLS-ROYCE MERLIN 55

http://fighter-collection.com/cft/spitfire-ep120/

SP%20V-1024x740.jpg

But they also have one of these beasts.

Hawker Sea Fury

seafurymp_5.jpg

Edited by Frostie

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

By the way, it is "Where are the Brits?" But I am glad to know that people make that mistake across the pond, too.:thumbup:

Anyway, an LF Spitfire would be more appropriate for a computer flight sim, wouldn't it? Not many are going to be dogfighting at 30,000ft.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Geez a German mentioning the war. Lol.

Mick. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Keep the faith

AMD PHENOM II X 4 955be @3.2 GHZ | ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO mb | Corsair XMS3-8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory | Nvidea GTX 580 GDDR5 GPU | CNPS9900 NT cooler | Corsair HX850W psu | Seagate Barracuda 500GB HD 300 MBps - 7200 rpm | WIN 7 64bit | 32" HD LCD TV | 5.1 surround sound | wireless keyboard and mouse | Saitek x45 hotas.

By the way, it is "Where are the Brits?" But I am glad to know that people make that mistake across the pond, too.:thumbup:

Anyway, an LF Spitfire would be more appropriate for a computer flight sim, wouldn't it? Not many are going to be dogfighting at 30,000ft.

He could mean 'where is the aircraft for the Brits'. :)

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

And everyone forgets the poor Japanese :(

How about both of these: :)

l.jpg

Because even the Wildcat beats the Zero in a multiplane fight.

Don't waste my time with the PTO. Not competitive, not fun.:doh:

Geez a German mentioning the war. Lol.

Love that scene. No matter how often you watch it, it never ceases to be funny as heck. I usually lose it at:

"Would you stop talking about the war?"

"Me? You started it!"

"We did not start it!"

"Yes you did, you invaded Poland!"

Brilliant comedy. :)

A Corsair sure would be nice though. Maybe with some naval ops thrown in for good measure? Yummy!

- Two miles of road lead nowhere, two miles of runway lead everywhere -

Click here for system specs

Because even the Wildcat beats the Zero in a multiplane fight.

You're kidding, right?? :doh::doh: Naval operations with a monster prop engine behind you not competitive or fun?? Really you tried to take-off or land the P-51 in a 2000m length and 200m wide runways and how it performs??? And a Wildcat have few things to do with a Reisen :thumbup:, just don't think on Il-2 biased world :smilewink:.

A Spit would be awesome, if you think really would be similar in operation to P-51 (same engine, constant speed prop from Mk.II), but envelope would be quite different, and fun!! Against Dora a Mk.XIV is the thing (well griffon engine there different from P-51), but considering only a bunch of them were made and the most typical Spit for 1944-45 is Mk.IX that would be pretty well as a counterpart. But well, any Spit in P-51 level would be Ok for me :lol:.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Yes Frostie that's what I meant, Where's e Brits fighter? 1 American, one of Basil Fawlty's guests, so us Brits need our war ace too. And the Japanese need their Zero. Could you have more fun?

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

You're kidding, right?? :doh::doh: Naval operations with a monster prop engine behind you not competitive or fun?? Really you tried to take-off or land the P-51 in a 2000m length and 200m wide runways and how it performs??? And a Wildcat have few things to do with a Reisen :thumbup:, just don't think on Il-2 biased world :smilewink:.

I am confused. I'm pretty sure that a WW2 aircraft carrier wasn't 2000m long and 200m wide.

Sure, it's fun flying the American side in PTO because it's a one-way slaughter. Flying the Japanese side is cool only if you are explicitly looking to win as a big underdog. In my opinion, the Ki-84 (and maybe the N1K2-J) are reasonable opponents, but they were never as numerous as the A6M.

Most of my PTO experience is from Aces High, not Il-2 (but I have flown PTO in that sim, too). I participated in large-scale scenarios with hundreds of pilots on either side. In the Coral Sea scenario, everyone switched teams after a few frames in order to experience the other side. Regardless of the pilots, the USN side routed the IJN. This is despite the fact that the A6M2 is faster and turns better than the Wildcat...

:joystick: