Maybe a relavant question

xracer

Who of you members in here especially those experienced with setting up DCS, PC's and flying, have done some longer flights in a quite complex mission (containing many different units and triggers, released considerable amount of weapons etc.) without having a CTD in 1.2.5.16184. Note without a CTD. Any other problems dont count here so leave that out. Also specify if you had AI wingmen, human or no AI in groupflight. Optional, but useful is mission name.

Anyone dear to voice their experience?

Edited by xracer

System spec:

Intel Core i7 920@4.2Ghz (stable, 65degC fully loaded), EVGA GTX-780, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 v.5.04 BIOS, Saitek X52, 1TB/500GB WD HD for system/storage. Kingston SSD 120 GB for DCS, 250GB Samsung 840 SSD for the rest. 16GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3 Memory, 9 GB Pagefile, EK HFX-240 Watercooling, Corsair HX-1000 PSU. HAF-932 Tower, TrackIR-5, Win64Ult

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1.2.5 had a few bugs but nothing that caused a crash to desktop.

After 137 views and one post, it obviously looks like 136 have had one or more CTD's. OR maybe they just have more important things to attend to than this thread :D

System spec:

Intel Core i7 920@4.2Ghz (stable, 65degC fully loaded), EVGA GTX-780, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 v.5.04 BIOS, Saitek X52, 1TB/500GB WD HD for system/storage. Kingston SSD 120 GB for DCS, 250GB Samsung 840 SSD for the rest. 16GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3 Memory, 9 GB Pagefile, EK HFX-240 Watercooling, Corsair HX-1000 PSU. HAF-932 Tower, TrackIR-5, Win64Ult

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

After 137 views and one post, it obviously looks like 136 have had one or more CTD's. OR maybe they just have more important things to attend to than this thread :D

With 160+ views and no comments regarding crashes to desktop, I don't see how you could figure that this means people have had CTD problems. If 160+ people have been here and said nothing, it's safe to say none of them have had any issues with DCS crashing.

I haven't had any problems with DCS crashing except for in my mission, and that was not the fault of 1.2.5 but a scripting error in my mission that I fixed with the help of some other mission makers and re-uploaded. After fixing my mission, I haven't had a single crash to desktop in it or any other missions.

Robert Sogomonian | Psyrixx

website| e-mail | blog | youtube | twitter

There is still a mission editor bug (acknowledged and said it will be fixed in next update) that will make DCS crash, I've posted it. Although it's a rare thing to do in mission editor, involves AI TASK SET and HOLD action.

Crashes are there but just for this reason to me, which is already known.

@Psyrixx: which was your scripting error?

With 160+ views and no comments regarding crashes to desktop, I don't see how you could figure that this means people have had CTD problems. If 160+ people have been here and said nothing, it's safe to say none of them have had any issues with DCS crashing.

I haven't had any problems with DCS crashing except for in my mission, and that was not the fault of 1.2.5 but a scripting error in my mission that I fixed with the help of some other mission makers and re-uploaded. After fixing my mission, I haven't had a single crash to desktop in it or any other missions.

Either me or you is messing up this abit. I wanted those who have had SUCCESSFUL LONGER COMPLEX MISSIONS only to report here.:)

System spec:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

First i had no CTD's at all with the previous versions. But now i alway's have them after some time playing on the 51st server. It just freezes my entire PC and i have to do a hard reboot. The PC still try's to close the game... But that would probably make me wait for 30/40 minutes for it to get back to the MP screen.

Edited by winchesterdelta1

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

Since the title of your post is so vague people will click on it to see what the relevant question is. If it's not relevant to them most will move on without posting.

Edited by Lucky

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

First i ahd no CTD's at all with the previous versions. But now i alway's have them after some time playing on the 51st server. It just freezes my entire PC and i have to do a hard reboot. The PC still try's to close the game... But that would probably make me wait for 30/40 minutes for it to get back to the MP screen.

Ok "non responsive process" then? I will try it out myself then if it's not password protected and see what happens.

System spec:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@Psyrixx: which was your scripting error?

I have a mission using a custom script to spawn a rescue verification team at the location that a Huey lands, in 1.2.4 it worked fine to spawn the group then dynamically assign them a waypoint list immediately after spawning. In 1.2.5, the game would crash right after the verification team spawned. I tried a few things and couldn't fix it, so asked Grimes for help. He suggested waiting a few seconds after they spawned before giving them their dynamic waypoints, and that fixed the problem.

So somewhere between 1.2.4 and 1.2.5 the group create function takes a bit longer before the spawned units are ready to receive dynamic waypoints.

Either me or you is messing up this abit. I wanted those who have had SUCCESSFUL LONGER COMPLEX MISSIONS only to report here.:)

You are right, I mis-read your original post! I thought you were asking for people who had experienced crashes to post in here.

Since the title of your post is so vague people will click on it to see what the relevant question is. If it's not relevant to them most will move on without posting.

Yes i understand completely, but at the time i didn't know exactly what to put in the title. Anyway there are probable several reasons why ppl dont reply. Not a big deal. Its early too maybe to report much regarding this.

System spec:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You are right, I mis-read your original post! I thought you were asking for people who had experienced crashes to post in here.

No problem Psyrixx :). Regarding the thread i also wanted it to be as "clean" as possible regarding successes. I hoped and wanted ppl to read the text since i wanted ONLY longer (in air time) and rather complex missions to be reported. So couldn't on top of my head, put it short enough in the title.

Edited by xracer

System spec:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok "non responsive process" then? I will try it out myself then if it's not password protected and see what happens.

Yes.. Had it several times now with the new patch. Suddenly it just hangs.. But it try's to come back. You can hear the sound comming back and turning off again. And if i try to go to desktop it try's to do that as well. But it fails to load to desktop. You can hear my computer working very hard to try and get DCS back or get the desktop up. And i think if i would walk away and come back 30/40 minutes later it would actually work. But never waited for more then 15 minutes.

*The server is not passworded or locked.

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

You could probably find any relevant information you need in the Bugs and Problems sub forum. I personally haven't had any crashes to desktop and I've got 7-10 other friends who also have no crashing problems with the latest version of DCS World. I own all of the modules, so do two other friends of mine, the others own various modules that they were interested in (primarily UH-1H and P-51D) and one of them flies with us in just the Su-25T.

We have a very wide range of computer hardware from top end (me) to lower end with various sound and controller setups as well.

In fact, the mission I put together was built specifically to address the wide range of modules that we have, and did an amazing job of being fun for everyone. It takes about an hour to an hour and a half to complete and has several tasks for all of the DCS World flyable aircraft.

Here's a link if you're interested.

Asset Extraction

I would say it is also a fairly complex mission as it only spawns enemies for the players that exist in the game, there are several "waves" of enemies that spawn at different trigger points within the mission and I wrote a custom LUA script (my first foray into LUA programming) to handle checking which of the four player controlled UH-1H helicopters or AI controlled Blackhawks lands in the extraction zone first, it dynamically spawns a CSAR verification team at that helicopter's location and on the closest side of the helicopter towards the asset, they are dynamically assigned a waypoint from their spawn point to the asset, they run over to him and "verify his identity" for 10 minutes while players must hold off incoming waves of new enemy units, then they check to see if a helicopter is currently in the rescue zone and if not they radio for pickup and make their way to the first friendly helicopter that lands nearby. If there is one, they make their way to it and "climb in" with the asset and the rescue helicopters are tasked with exfiltrating back to the starting airfield.

It's really neat. :)

Edited by Psyrixx

Yes.. Had it several times now with the new patch. Suddenly it just hangs.. But it try's to come back. You can hear the sound comming back and turning off again. And if i try to go to desktop it try's to do that as well. But it fails to load to desktop. You can hear my computer working very hard to try and get DCS back or get the desktop up. And i think if i would walk away and come back 30/40 minutes later it would actually work. But never waited for more then 15 minutes.

*The server is not passworded or locked.

This tread wasn't really for problems it was for successes...lol, but regarding your problem it could be a million causes for it, but try if you haven't:

1. Restart PC

2. Close absolutely all processes not nessesary for DCS and Windows to function through Task Manager also disable Antivirus

temporarily.

3. Run DCS from the Multiplayer icon

4. Try and do the problem mission

If it doesn't you better uninstall DCS, go through you PC setup regarding enough memory available, swapfile, GFX drivers, clean up all kinds of TEMP files after DCS. Make sure enough space available on HD's, etc. etc.

Then when installing DCS again using the full torrent installs. Remember to check both DirectX and VC++ for update and make sure no errors during install. Its difficult to suggest other things for me. Btw. put up all important data for your system in you Sig so its always available in your posts.

Edited by xracer

System spec:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You could probably find any relevant information you need in the Bugs and Problems sub forum. I personally haven't had any crashes to desktop and I've got 7-10 other friends who also have no crashing problems with the latest version of DCS World. I own all of the modules, so do two other friends of mine, the others own various modules that they were interested in (primarily UH-1H and P-51D) and one of them flies with us in just the Su-25T.

We have a very wide range of computer hardware from top end (me) to lower end with various sound and controller setups as well.

In fact, the mission I put together was built specifically to address the wide range of modules that we have, and did an amazing job of being fun for everyone. It takes about an hour to an hour and a half to complete and has several tasks for all of the DCS World flyable aircraft.

Here's a link if you're interested.

Asset Extraction

I would say it is also a fairly complex mission as it only spawns enemies for the players that exist in the game, there are several "waves" of enemies that spawn at different trigger points within the mission and I wrote a custom LUA script (my first foray into LUA programming) to handle checking which of the four player controlled UH-1H helicopters or AI controlled Blackhawks lands in the extraction zone first, it dynamically spawns a CSAR verification team at that helicopter's location and on the closest side of the helicopter towards the asset, they are dynamically assigned a waypoint from their spawn point to the asset, they run over to him and "verify his identity" for 10 minutes while players must hold off incoming waves of new enemy units, then they check to see if a helicopter is currently in the rescue zone and if not they radio for pickup and make their way to the first friendly helicopter that lands nearby. If there is one, they make their way to it and "climb in" with the asset and the rescue helicopters are tasked with exfiltrating back to the starting airfield.

It's really neat. :)

Absolutely fantastic report, Psyrixx!

Don't need more posts in this tread after this. Is it then more or less safe to assume that most problems ppl have with CRITICAL problems (CTD's) is related to their PC setup regarding non DCS related software, memory, drivers etc? Anyway will read section and download the mission you refered to right now!

Thanks!

Edited by xracer

System spec:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

outside of v 1.2.2, I havent had any random unexplained CTDs, I can force crashes at will using specific Key Combo's and certain programs running in the background. (Yes, FRAPS is one of them)

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

No CTD for me at all. Previous versions the same. I don't play all of modules, but as far as A-10C even if I fly complex missions I have no CTD. I feel that is the most important factor to a game and that is the reason I play DCS.

System specs below

Case - Antec Three Hundred

PSU - Corsair AX750watt

Board - MSI Z170A GAMING PRO

CPU - Intel i5 6600K 3900MHz

Cooler - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus

Memory - Kingston HYPERX 16G DDR4 2400Mhz CL15

Graphics - MSI GEFORCE GTX 980 GAMING 4G

SSD - Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2 NVMe

Monitor - Philips 277E 27" 1920x1080 60Hz

OS - Windows 10 Home 64bit

Flight Controllers - Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG, Saitek COMBAT RUDDER PEDALS, TrackIR 4, Track Clip Pro

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

outside of v 1.2.2, I havent had any random unexplained CTDs, I can force crashes at will using specific Key Combo's and certain programs running in the background. (Yes, FRAPS is one of them)

Skate, I was thinking I dont know if it has been done already on the forums, I do know there is a tread regarding optimizing DCS internally, but would it be a good idea to make a thread about tips (in detail) on how to prepare a PC Windows 7 system as best as possible for DCS to help out ppl who dont know of cares alot about that part? Obviously the tread would have to be edited by one of the Moderators to keep only voted suggestions in at all times. All PC's are different, but there are quite a few common's too on all systems. I guess there is a lot of guru's on this among the members and discussing these improvements will probably make them better.

System spec:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On occassion taking the Page File out of Windows control can cause issues...

had an FSX addon once which required the Page File be set to Windows control or the FSX would crash

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

On occassion taking the Page File out of Windows control can cause issues...

had an FSX addon once which required the Page File be set to Windows control or the FSX would crash

Yes, if looking up on the pagefile there are a few who knows what they talk about when it comes that file. I think i even got a CTD cause i had it off and only 6 GB mem on a large mission. Anyway the file should definately not be off cause it has to with "Commit paging" which you can run out of even if it seems like you have enough physical memory available in task manager. Without it it works 98-99% but its not advisable to have it at a low value. I dont really understand yet why windows want it as high as 24GB when i have 16GB mem, but it COULD be important. May have to do with the Commit pages concept. What i would advice though is to have it set to custom fixed value, which is large enough and preferable on a small partition of its own or to Windows control if required sometimes like you say. Hmm..a little off topic here too :music_whistling:

Edited by xracer

System spec:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, if your experience is that its quite reliable, that counts. 10 mins ago i just landed my SU-25T on Nalchik after testing Psyrixx mission "AssetExtraction-v1.2.3.miz" in SP. I was in air maybe 1 hour and took out a couple of SA-8 with 58's before i headed for home. Little fuel left and there was just a wall of SA-8's on the map at least so i called it a day :D. Anyway very smooth play and no problems there. All modules are installed too. ATC worked too, but i had problems with it in MP yesterday. Guess thats reported. So am very happy about 1.2.5.16184 for the time being.

System spec:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, if looking up on the pagefile there are a few who knows what they talk about when it comes that file. I think i even got a CTD cause i had it off and only 6 GB mem on a large mission. Anyway the file should definately not be off cause it has to with "Commit paging" which you can run out of even if it seems like you have enough physical memory available in task manager. Without it it works 98-99% but its not advisable to have it at a low value. I dont really understand yet why windows want it as high as 24GB when i have 16GB mem, but it COULD be important. May have to do with the Commit pages concept. What i would advice though is to have it set to custom fixed value, which is large enough and preferable on a small partition of its own or to Windows control if required sometimes like you say. Hmm..a little off topic here too :music_whistling:

and a little offtrack, except for the information on not turning the Page Off (which I never said) completely... basically, what works on one person's machine, with their unique configuration, may not necessarily work on another person's.

1.5 x the memory size was the usual recommendation for a fixed size Page File (on the same disc as windows, or preferably another disc) and was useful for Windows XP and earlier operating systems. The Page File was instituted very early in the computer world, and Platter Drives, to cover the cost, and through that, the small amount of physical RAM available... with the idea of setting a "Fixed Size" to prevent the dynamic nature of the File itself. It was also to help prevent it becoming fragmented. How things have changed since those halcyon days.

I've tested SSD's with "automatic windows" (ie Let Windows Automatically control the Page File) setting, Fixed size" on the same disc as Windows, and "Fixed size" on a separate disc... only to find no real improvement running Windows 7.

If moving the Page File to a separate disc, it is imperative to leave a (minimum) 200Mb size Page File on the System Disc in case of a Blue Screen.

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"